Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS IS HUGE. So if anyone is planning to start a lease on their Durango in this month of January don’t get your hopes up. I ordered my Durango TnG back at the beginning of December and it just arrived at the dealership today (01/13). So my dealer confirmed that the Durango had arrived and I was planning to go start the lease tomorrow morning. I then got another call from my dealer saying he got some bad news with something that would slow us down. He said my Durango is too new. It’s the first 22 they have on the lot and he was crunching some numbers when he figured out he can’t lease it because the lease program for 2022 Durangos doesn’t start until February. So I can’t lease it and no one can lease a 2022 Durango until the first week of February. There are no incentives or program until then. So it will sit on the lot for three weeks until February hits. This is big news for people hoping to get their Durango orders in this month. Bummer…

·
Registered
83 Posts
The dealer I am using is using a bank instead of Chrysler. But I don’t think I will have my Durango until Feb. it’s sitting in storage.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,388 Posts
So buy it. I don't understand the need to lease anything. Sell your current ride for more than it's worth and put that down on a loan through a credit union.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
So buy it. I don't understand the need to lease anything. Sell your current ride for more than it's worth and put that down on a loan through a credit union.
some people are just into leasing. the lower payments I guess. or totally in the groove of new every 3...

I totally admit I don't see the value in leasing. but I'm an old school mortgage guy that still keeps paper files in manilla folders on a black wire rack beside my desk and make my phone calls from a Blackberry. ;)

White Mobile phone Product Telephony Black

I know some people that are 100% into leasing though. its their money, go for it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeah I never understood the allure of leasing unless you have the disposable income to waste on long-term renting a vehicle or are trying to get into a car you can’t afford to buy. But to each their own.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah I never understood the allure of leasing unless you have the disposable income to waste on long-term renting a vehicle or are trying to get into a car you can’t afford to buy. But to each their own.
Leasing frees you from paying tax in the event you want to flip out of the vehicle at any point. Leasing does not make sense if your shopping a payment without understanding the nuisances used too achieve said payment. I have used leasing to my favor never turned in a vehicle always sold to third party for profit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
yeah it was the lower payment. I could afford to buy ours but don't want to. the wife wants what she wants so I'll play the lease game. also right now who knows what's going to happen with the electric market and or mandates in the next few years. leasing might not be an awful option right now. especially if you are used to having a vehicle payment anyways........ but I agree I'd buy normally. Just didn't want the big ass payment with zero down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It’s paying the depreciation for 3 years and then being free and clear to buy whatever. Always have a car under warranty as well.

You’re paying the same depreciation when you buy except you’re keeping the car. Which is now out of warranty.

worked out well for me on my 19 ram. It quit in the middle of the road and dealer said nothing was wrong. Sold it to Carvana for a profit only a year into my lease.

no slight to anyone here but usually people who put down leases don’t totally understand them.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
It’s paying the depreciation for 3 years and then being free and clear to buy whatever. Always have a car under warranty as well.

You’re paying the same depreciation when you buy except you’re keeping the car. Which is now out of warranty.

worked out well for me on my 19 ram. It quit in the middle of the road and dealer said nothing was wrong. Sold it to Carvana for a profit only a year into my lease.

no slight to anyone here but usually people who put down leases don’t totally understand them.

I understand car leases and there is no lease that I would do because I would get killed on mileage. Also most people lease cause it is easier to get an upgraded model versus what they could afford buying the vehicle. But to each his own. If easing works, great but if purchasing works, even better ;)

Reactions: DDSRT0311

·
Registered
124 Posts
Their is a certain allure to not being locked into owning and getting a new model every 3 years or so.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Their is a certain allure to not being locked into owning and getting a new model every 3 years or so.
This is kind of my point. One wouldn't be "locked into owning" a vehicle if they put a healthy amount down to offset the initial off-the-lot depreciation. I get why people lease to avoid this and have a smaller monthly payment. Then again, a lot of people who buy new cars really can't afford the payments anyway.

The average loan term these days is 72 months, with some banks offering 84 and 96 month terms. That's beyond ludicrous to me, especially considering that the average car loan down payment is around 12%; far less than the generally accepted 20%.

I get why leasing is attractive, but what is gained with a lower monthly payment is lost in fees and mileage penalties. Unless one is extremely precise in their estimation of how many miles they'll use, they'll either be paying more up front or incurring excess cost.

With both purchasing and leasing, there's a good way and a bad way of doing it. Everyone has their own circumstances and is entitled to their own choice. I'll get off my soapbox now.

·
Super Moderator
13,030 Posts
I'm thinking of leasing for the first time in my life..

The '14 GC is doing fine, but after 8 years it is time... plus I have a use for that vehicle in a different geographical place..

unfortunately, it is difficult to buy a vehicle with the stuff you actually want with all the decontenting that is going on, and with the platform in a new generation I'm not all that warm and fuzzy about reliability..

So I was thinking of just leasing something and giving it back in 2-3 years after things (hopefully) settle out.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I certainly understand leasing If you want a nice German car, Mercedes, BMW....Not only do they depreciate like rocks after warranty ends...but maintenance costs are crazy high too after the 4yr warranty expires. But they also usually have very attractive factory backed leases too.

Though in these crazy supply issue times, someone who leased a '19 could sell for a nice profit instead of turning it back in!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts