Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I purchased the D in June and did not touch it (cleaning-wise) until 2 weekends ago. (Didn't want to take it to a car wash, wasn't sure about letting another detailer do the work, could not decide what products to start out with, etc). Anyway, I finally broke down and purchased some Chemical Guys products and took the D over to my Father-in-Law's house (he has a filter on his hose for washing his car). We washed the car, but started late and the sun was quickly setting. Because of the lack of time and my inexperience with washing "the right way", I rushed through a bit. Still, the D looked good in that light and I took it home (a happy camper). When I got home, I discovered that I had neglected some things. I took my (still damp) micro-fiber towel and proceeded to work on those issues. Then, took the dry MF towel and wiped the dampness away. Looked at the Windshield and discovered that I had completely neglected it (other than the initial wash -with the chenille mit- at my FIL's house). I switched back to the damp MF and wiped the windshield (inside and out).

The next day, I am in the D and the sun catches the windshield just right, illuminating the scratches that are now in the windshield. WTF? As if that is not bad enough, we are on our way back from CA, yesterday, and I stop to fill up. The windshield is pretty dirty, so I get the combo squeegie / sponge out of the bucket by the pumps and do just the sponge side. I shake off almost all of the water, first, and use the brown paper towels to dry. (The sponge side is still wet, so I am not running a dry sponge on the windshield). This morning, I see a whole bunch more scratches. Is the windshield really that delicate? Now that I have screwed it up, how can I fix it? Can I polish the scratches out? At this point, should I hang my head in shame, surrender my CG products and resign myself to the fact that I will either have to live with a dirty D or pay someone to properly detail my car?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
My 2011's is still scratch less... I'd try windex on the inside and out. I'm very VERY picky on how clean my windshield is, or as my wife and mother say "neurotic" because I'll spend 30 minutes on just the inside. Use new paper towels on the inside, those blue shop towels work the best I've found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd hazard a guess that you've actually got some type of smearing/streaking rather than a bunch of scratches. Did you wash the microfiber towels before using them? When you were washing/drying, what chemicals (if any) did you use on the glass other than just plain water?

I've found that Invisible Glass does an outstanding job, better IMHO than Windex.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd hazard a guess that you've actually got some type of smearing/streaking rather than a bunch of scratches. Did you wash the microfiber towels before using them? When you were washing/drying, what chemicals (if any) did you use on the glass other than just plain water?

I've found that Invisible Glass does an outstanding job, better IMHO than Windex.
I used Mr Pink and the Chenille mit (from Chemical Guys), then dried with the MF cloth. (neither were washed prior to use --fresh out of the package). While drying, I used CG After Wash.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hmmm, not sure then. CG's website says After Wash is fine on glass. I've tried a few of their products and fine them to be great on paint but not so good on glass (streaks unless I spend a lot of time buffing). Try giving it a really good cleaning with conventional glass cleaners. Hopefully you don't actually have scratches in the glass!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts