Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Durango R/T
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not very familiar with tires and the usage of bolt pattern/offset and all that so wondering if I can get some help.
I have a 2017 Durango R/T with the factory 20 inch (265/50 20) gloss black wheel as shown. I have seen some individuals use the trackhawk or other Jeep Grand Cherokee wheels and they are pretty much direct bolt on with no issues. It then got me wondering if anyone has ever put Wrangler wheels on their Durango? I'm asking specifically for the 17in Rubicon wheels, picture attached. From what research I can gather, it seems like they are the same bolt pattern. The Rubicon wheel is 17x7.5 and the DD factory wheel is 20x8.5. The offset and the rim size are about a .5 inches difference (DD 58mm / R 44.45mm). With the Rubicon wheel on a set of Nitto Tires Ridge Grapplers (265/65 17) they are nearly identical (picture provided). They only thing I haven't been able to find is if the 17in wheel will clear the factory brakes on the durango. I know there are durangos on 18s and it works no problem but the rubicon wheels I like are only 17 inches. I guess my questions are:
1. Can 17 inch wheels fit on the durangos?
2. Is there anyone who has wrangler wheels in this forum who can provide pictures?
3. Not a question, but feel free to follow me on instagram @delores_rt

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cant confirm nor deny for you but I dont think they will work.
Along with the brake caliper...clearances are rather tight with the upper steering knuckle and the inside of the wheel. Have a look at the front and you will see the aluminum knuckle curls down and inside the wheel at the top.
Also the bolt hole size itself appears to be different although not by that much. M14 vs 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I'm running Jeep Wrangler Sahara 18" wheels, and there isn't a whole lot of room left.

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    84.7 KB Views: 89

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
That photo is from my iPad! 18+ lmao

When do you plan on buying the rims?

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Durango R/T
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cant confirm nor deny for you but I dont think they will work.
Along with the brake caliper...clearances are rather tight with the upper steering knuckle and the inside of the wheel. Have a look at the front and you will see the aluminum knuckle curls down and inside the wheel at the top.
Also the bolt hole size itself appears to be different although not by that much. M14 vs 1/2 inch.
I didn’t realize the bolt hole size would be different if the pattern was the same.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Durango R/T
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That photo is from my iPad! 18+ lmao

When do you plan on buying the rims?
Can I see a side shot please? No plans to buy yet. Just doing the initial research. However, I did find a few under $500 on Facebook marketplace. And that was for all 5 wheels so I’d have a full size spare. (That I thought about throwing on a roof rack).
Do you tow? Would those wheels have any impact when towing?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
This might be sideways.

Attachments

Reactions: delores_rt

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I don't have any other shots, I have my summer setup on now.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Durango R/T
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's our '16 Durango R/T with Wrangler 18s and winter tires. You can see how the caliper barely clears the rim. View attachment 109314 View attachment 109316
looks good. And it is a close fit. But is the brake the only thing in the way? Control arms or suspension components or anything else that would block the wheel? Just need a half an inch which would look pretty tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone ever confirm whether the 17” rims would fit on the 2016 Dodge Durango R/T? From what I’ve seen, I haven’t found anyone who had been able to make the 17” wrangler rims work without adding spacers.

Is this a correct understanding?

Brian in SF

·
Registered
28 Posts
looks good. And it is a close fit. But is the brake the only thing in the way? Control arms or suspension components or anything else that would block the wheel? Just need a half an inch which would look pretty tight.
Sorry for the late reply. I think is it just the caliper that would interfere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts