Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
5,882 Posts
Big Swede:
Welcome to DDN. We all hope there will be a 4th Gen Durango, but I don't think there is any firm conversation about that yet. I'd have no problem with it. The current 3.6L is an excellent choice for those who won't be towing much, if at all.
3.6L owners enjoy somewhat better mpg depending on where and how they drive.

Those of us who appreciate the growl of a V8 would miss that, but otherwise torque and HP are what they are.

Don

· Registered
508 Posts
So far what was communicated during Road Kill nights was that Durango was moving to MACK assembly, that much we know. The current Grand Cherokee only comes with the 3.6. The I6 is available in the Wagoneer as of MY23. I would hope as Dodge is the "performance" brand the I6 will find its way onto the platform.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far what was communicated during Road Kill nights was that Durango was moving to MACK assembly, that much we know. The current Grand Cherokee only comes with the 3.6. The I6 is available in the Wagoneer as of MY23. I would hope as Dodge is the "performance" brand the I6 will find its way onto the platform.
Yeah it’s pretty rare to see a 3 row capable suv thought of as sporty without having to spend a fortune. I’m hoping there is a 4th gen.

· Super Moderator
13,220 Posts
Rumor since last summer is that the 4th gen Durango will be a body-on-frame behemoth a la Wagoneer, built at Warren Truck.

I don't think there have been any official releases about the future of the Durango after 2023.

Reactions: Don Fox and wvhemis

· Premium Member
5,882 Posts
I'd love to see this engine make it's way under the hood of the new Durango, if that's what it takes to give us a 4th generation. 400hp/450lbs of tq are above any of the 6 cylinder past/present options, not to mention above/beyond the current 5.7L specs.
Yeah, I'd miss the V8 growl, but beyond that, the smile would still be there no problem!

Don

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm going to make a general observation based on my experience with a non-Dodge product.

In 2011, I bought a new Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4WD with the 5.0 Coyote V8. After test driving two F-150s with the then-new 3.5 Ecoboost V6, I decided that I liked the sound, response, and gut feel of the V8 even though the horsepower and torque ratings were similar between the two engines.

In 2015, I bought a new Ford Expedition 4WD (non-EL). Starting that year, Expeditions were only available with the 3.5 Ecoboost V6.

After 95,000 miles, I really enjoy the engine. The power delivery is smooth, "turbine-like", and seemingly effortless. And, my fuel economy is about 1.5 MPG better. Knock on wood, my Expedition has been very reliable and the engine has been nearly flawless. The Ecoboost V6 is not flashy like the V8, but it gets the job done.

If Stellantis (Dodge) does as good of a job with the Hurricane engine as Ford did with the Ecoboost, I think people will come to love the engine. Yes, there may be applications where a naturally-aspirated V8 would be better than a turbocharged 6. But, I think for most people, the Hurricane will be a hit.

That said, I'm not sure I'd buy a Stellantis product with the Hurricane for a few years. Modern turbocharged engines are very complex. I assume that there will be bugs to work out in the Hurricane just like Ford has had to squash bugs with the Ecoboost V6.

· Registered
905 Posts
As far as Stellantis is concerned, the " midsize Gen IV Durango" is already for sale as the Jeep Grand Cherokee L. If you are waiting for the "full size body on frame Gen IV Durango" it is also already on sale as the Jeep Wagoneer. Considering that the Dodge, Ram and Jeep brands are mostly sold out of the same or side by side showrooms, there is minimal cooperate concern of customer defection.

It's highly unlikely now that we will see an ICE powered Gen IV SUV of any kind bearing Durango name or sold as a Dodge or Ram. If the model name Durango continues it will most likely be as an EV.

· Premium Member
2,947 Posts
I'm going to make a general observation based on my experience with a non-Dodge product.

In 2011, I bought a new Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4WD with the 5.0 Coyote V8. After test driving two F-150s with the then-new 3.5 Ecoboost V6, I decided that I liked the sound, response, and gut feel of the V8 even though the horsepower and torque ratings were similar between the two engines.

In 2015, I bought a new Ford Expedition 4WD (non-EL). Starting that year, Expeditions were only available with the 3.5 Ecoboost V6.

After 95,000 miles, I really enjoy the engine. The power delivery is smooth, "turbine-like", and seemingly effortless. And, my fuel economy is about 1.5 MPG better. Knock on wood, my Expedition has been very reliable and the engine has been nearly flawless. The Ecoboost V6 is not flashy like the V8, but it gets the job done.

If Stellantis (Dodge) does as good of a job with the Hurricane engine as Ford did with the Ecoboost, I think people will come to love the engine. Yes, there may be applications where a naturally-aspirated V8 would be better than a turbocharged 6. But, I think for most people, the Hurricane will be a hit.

That said, I'm not sure I'd buy a Stellantis product with the Hurricane for a few years. Modern turbocharged engines are very complex. I assume that there will be bugs to work out in the Hurricane just like Ford has had to squash bugs with the Ecoboost V6.

Dodge was the leader of turbo engines in the 80s so the know how (I hope) is (still) there. But there are going to be issues and hopefully not as bad as Ford's first few years of the eco boost in trucks.
Condensation was a huge problem in the intercooler which got sucked into the engines causing issues. I remember back when I had my F150 (2013) with the 302 and thanking myself for not buying the eco boost garbage as that is what it was back then. Now, Ford has it nailed and I hope Dodge does not take 4 years to perfect the I6 engine.

· Registered
755 Posts
It's highly unlikely now that we will see an ICE powered Gen IV SUV of any kind bearing Durango name or sold as a Dodge or Ram. If the model name Durango continues it will most likely be as an EV.
Then they shouldn't expect me back in one of their showrooms.

Regardless of the underpinnings, I simply don't like the new Jeep offerings - mainly because they are overpriced and missing the sport character of the Dodge. There is a reason the Durango sells so well. IMHO, the Jeeps just don't hit that mark.

I still don't want or even expect my next purchase to be an EV. The infrastructure simply doesn't exist to support them properly, they don't function well in hot or cold temps, and they are impractical for towing. That said, if the options for vehicles like the current gen Durango (size, performance, appearance, cost) do dry up, I don't see any reason to stick with Stellantis. I'm not going to be loyal to them if they aren't going to be loyal to me.

· Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Interesting. My 1980 Mustang had a turbocharged engine that was first released in 1979.
That was a disaster and Ford learned nothing from it when they released the ECO boost engine. LOL J/K (or am I LOL)

How about a GLHS or Shelby Daytona? Ah the good old 80s. Your right about technical advances in the past 40 years over shadow what was done then, but can you imagine taking the advances and applying them to what they already know how to do well? We already have the Hellcats which have been proven to be crazy good sealing technology so the I6 should not be an issue. I mean with 24PSI of boost? WOW.

I am most concerned about life of the turbos, bean counter bullshit and other gremlins that appear in 1st years of anything. But then again, my 2003 Chryselr Pacifica (1st year) was a perfect vehicle with zero issues. So it can be done but I woudl expect a company like Honda, Toyota or Mazda to have better chances at 1st year production then anything from the US or Europe

· Registered
7 Posts
Yes, the 2.3 4-cylinder turbo was not well thought out. But, the horsepower was comparable to the 302 V8 at the time. I sold mine before the problems developed.

A friend had a GLHS. He let me drive it once. A real thrill ride, but not very refined.

I think that today's turbos are generally well made and have good bearings, but other factors can creep in. Water cooling and good oil supply are a must. And, change the oil religiously.

Back in the day, guys with turbo engines often added "turbo timers" to keep the engine running at idle for a few minutes to help cool down the turbo. Seems like I saw a review of a modern turbo car that actually had a turbo timer from the factory. I try to be a good boy and not ride my Ecoboost hard and then "put it away wet". Generally, driving the vehicle easy for a few miles after hard running has been my practice.

· Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
281 Posts
It will be interesting to see if Dodge does not come out with a Gen 4 Durango with the turbo I6, what will fill the void, as Dodge is typically known as the performance division. A Hornet R/T just ain't gonna cut it as far as a "performance SUV, plus it's way too small. Kind of like throwing a V6 into a minivan or mid-sized car, slapping an R/T label on it and calling it "performance". Would be nice if a new Durango was offered with slightly tweaked power numbers in a single (R/T) and twin turbo version (SRT) as replacements for the current ones, but then again, that makes too much sense.

· Registered
Billet Silver Metallic 2014 R/T RWD
120 Posts
All this I6 & EV talk definitely makes me want to hold on to my 5.7 :( Dodge carved out a special niche with them being the only sporty, 3-row affordable muscle truck manufacturer...but it seems like all of that will now be going down the drain.

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,967 Posts
I plan on waiting for a couple more years and then pick up a 2020 or 2021 RT for my last DD.

· Registered
114 Posts
I am very versed in the old 80’s turbos. I had this car for almost 30 years. Fully built running 28-34 lbs of boost ( depended if I was loosing, lol) I ran the meth injection and it worked wonders on that car, being able to run high boost with pump gas. Never did run a turbo timer, the mopars had a coolant cooled cartridge for the turbo. In the one pic you can see two lines running to it instead of one. This took a lot of heat out of it to prevent oil coking. Not sure about the ford 2.3, but a lot of the cars in that era just had an oil lubed cartridge, it was not cooled. I had a buddy down in Florida that swapped a 2.3 out of an SVO into a Capri. Pretty bland looking, but quick car. We used to go out and troll all the V-8 guys. This was quite a while ago, when a decently built street car was 450 HP or so. We hurt a lot of feelings! Hell, these days, no way I could hang with what OEM’s are offering. Thanks for some good old memories!!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts