Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?::?:If your rear hatch is rusted, and you buy another one, I know for a fact that you can fit a first generation hatch / liftgate / lift gate inside the truck with no problem. Now I have a second generation (2004), the hatch has rusted over the past year. If I drive two hours away to go pick up a new one, does anyone know for a fact if a 2nd generation hatch will fit okay in the back of a second gen. Durango?? Or will I end up having to strap it up on top of the truck? Thanx in advance!!!:?::?:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year was it? This is my 2004. The hood is significantly smaller than the rear hatch is. Ill go out there soon and take measurements and cross fingers.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Just measure the gate from bottom to top because as long as you can get it in the back cross-ways you should be alright if you can clear that. Like top left to bottom right of your opening is what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
324 Posts
A² + B² = C²

A is the width of rear cargo area, B is the height of the cargo area, C is from bottom left to the top right of the cargo area - measured in inches would be easiest. If the hatch is smaller than C², it'll fit. This is also an estimate as there are other variables that cannot be accounted for in this equation.

Example:
width is 4 feet (48"), height is 3 feet (36")
46² + 36² = C²
2116 + 1296 = 3412
Take the square root of your final number to get back to inches
Square root of 3412 is 58.4. If the hatch is smaller than 58.4", it should fit. I'd measure from the longest or widest part, obviously.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
A² + B² = C²

A is the width of rear cargo area, B is the height of the cargo area, C is from bottom left to the top right of the cargo area. If the hatch is smaller than C², it'll fit. This is also an estimate as there are other variables that cannot be accounted for in this equation.
Hey!! What's with the funny numbers stuff? Some of us are slow, you know. I understand things like "look, it's too long, it won't fit".

·
Registered
324 Posts
When I moved from my old house to the new place, I really did not want to take apart the trampoline because it was such a pain in the you-know-what to assemble. I used that equation on the UHual to determine...that I had to take apart the trampoline. Really, that's the only time I've used geometry in the real world. :D

I should also add that I was only expanding on your excellent suggestion. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts