Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my plan is to save some money and try to dump the intake muffler right before the T/B and use the stock airbox. I can make it myself using silicon adaptors and piping, but I just noticed this unit that's made for the Challenger R/T which uses the 5.7L engine of course.

Looking at it, I'd say it's too short to work, but I'm also unsure what the diameter of the ends are. I was just wondering if anyone has ventured down this path. This fits all of the Hemi Car engines 05-15 5.7-6.1.

This would be a winner if it fit, but I'm seldom that lucky! :(

Here's the link to the item: Mopar Non-Silencer Intake Tube 05-15 Challenger, Charger, 300, Magnum 5.7L, 6.1L

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 11.50.05 AM.jpg

Chris

·
Registered
301 Posts
It looks too short as our air box bends back a bit but who knows. Since it's an OEM part maybe find a dealer that would let you return it?

Reactions: Chewy

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorta makes you wonder why Dodge went to the trouble to design the intake box for the Durango. I also wonder what the set up looked like in the Pick up's before the intake change.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I'll confirm in the morning, but doing a quick measurement looks like the D intake is almost 5" longer than the 300.
So it might work if the 300 tube will stretch and it looks like it might.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll confirm in the morning, but doing a quick measurement looks like the D intake is almost 5" longer than the 300.
So it might work if the 300 tube will stretch and it looks like it might.
Seriously appreciate you testing this!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
The answer is...NO.

Its too short and won't stretch the distance..needs about 4".
There also is another issue regarding a temp sensor that is located in a different spot on my 300 Hemi than the D Hemi which would require relocating the sensor and plugging the other hole.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Chase! I saw the IAT sensor and that's a fairly easy fix, but I broke my plastic stretcher so I'll have to build my own tube! Thanks a ton for doing all this work!

Sent from the internet using Borg technology.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
No problem, both easy to take off and swap.
One solution would be to cut the Challenger tube somewhere in the middle and put a 4" extension using metal tubing of the same diameter.
It fits on the TB and the Airbox, so just needs to be lengthened.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You could cut the expansion part off the Durango's intake, and use that to bridge the gap between the challenger/300 tube and the Durango's air box?

It appears if it was cut where the expandable tube meets the solid plastic, the Challenger tube might fit over the end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts