Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Looking for some help here.

Wife meant well, and wanted to refill the wiper fluid. However, with kids bugging her and stuff, she mistakenly poured about 1.5-2l of wiper fluid (Rainx bug and tar remover).

She quickly enough realized her mistake and stopped, once the receptor started to overflow.

Car has not been run since.

I used a siphon to remove what was in the reservoir, and pulled out roughly 2.5-3L of the stuff. It's definitely a darker shade of pink than the wiper fluid is originally (had another jug for comparison).

Since I've removed the fluid and then some, are we good?

Do I need to top it off with stuff (if so, which) or do I let things be for now?

2018 Durango RT with tow package, 23 000 km.

Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Perhaps this is overkill, and I won't proceed to tell you what to do, but If I were in that situation, I can tell you I would flush and fill. (would not want to take a chance with my D.

·
Super Moderator
12,916 Posts
Was the car warm when this happened, and is now cool? if so some will have gotten into the system, and I'd do a flush and fill.

If the engine temperature hasn't changed since the washer fluid went in, and you got just about all of it out, then you can probably get away with filling the reservoir with clean water, draining all that out, and refilling with 50/50 OAT coolant to the proper mark. OAT part number is probably 68163849AB, though that may have changed..

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Seeing that wiper fluid is mostly water with a little alcohol in it I believe I don't think its going to make any difference in the cooling system adding that small amount...I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Super Moderator
12,916 Posts
Seeing that wiper fluid is mostly water with a little alcohol in it I believe I don't think its going to make any difference in the cooling system adding that small amount...I wouldn't sweat it.
If it wasn't Rain-X I'd agree.

Rain-X adds all kinds of junk. Rain-X fluid never comes near my vehicle.

Just my $0.02.

Reactions: hamada128

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I called the dealer this morning to let them know what happened and what their thoughts were.

Since I removed everything from the overflow, and it was right after the vehicle was turned off and warm, and it wasn't driven with it they really weren't concerned about contaminants in the system.

Just had to stop by the dealership, get a jug of pre-mix and refill the overflow. That was it.

I did mention about it being rain-x and additives and whatnot, they really didn't seem to care overmuch.

Hopefully this helps another poor sap down the road.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Folks,

Looking for some help here.

Wife meant well, and wanted to refill the wiper fluid. However, with kids bugging her and stuff, she mistakenly poured about 1.5-2l of wiper fluid (Rainx bug and tar remover).

She quickly enough realized her mistake and stopped, once the receptor started to overflow.

Car has not been run since.

I used a siphon to remove what was in the reservoir, and pulled out roughly 2.5-3L of the stuff. It's definitely a darker shade of pink than the wiper fluid is originally (had another jug for comparison).

Since I've removed the fluid and then some, are we good?

Do I need to top it off with stuff (if so, which) or do I let things be for now?

2018 Durango RT with tow package, 23 000 km.

Thanks!
My wife did the same thing last summer. I just emptied out the over flow tank and filled it with Morpar coolant. My Durango has been fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts