Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering. What is the widest tires that I can put on my factory 20 rims?

I was thinking 285?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I'm running 285's, and that's pretty much the widest you can go on factory 20" non SRT rims.

·
Registered
184 Posts
On stock 20x8 wheels the widest tires should be 265. For a 275 or 285 tire to wear and perform properly, it needs at least a 9 inch wide wheel.

I know like anything, people have done it, but it does'nt mean it's safe, especially with such a heavy truck.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I just went through the same Q&A as you OP, and I ended up going with the OEM size of 265/50/20 and did not go bigger after reading up on this subject. I just ordered some Nitto 420S, should arrive at my house today actually.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Reactions: hamada128

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
The 285/50 does ride nicer, forgot about that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What’s the general opinion on the tire height relationship. I see NITTO has the NT420s at 285/40r20, I’m wondering how this low profile would fit/ ride/ wear vs a 285/50r20. Any opinions on the matter would be appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
About to be in need of tires and wondered the same thing. Good thread dude!!

·
Premium Member
518 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What’s the general opinion on the tire height relationship. I see NITTO has the NT420s at 285/40r20, I’m wondering how this low profile would fit/ ride/ wear vs a 285/50r20. Any opinions on the matter would be appreciated.

I'm not into low profile tires but if I was going to put them on a Durango, I would definitely get a lowering kit also (at least 2 inches).

You're going to have more of the wheel well showing with low profile tires.

·
Registered
96 Posts
not sure if truck tires are much different maybe because of the lower profile but I run a 12.5 wide tires on a 9 inch truck rim. no issues.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I run the new factory size on my stock 20x8, 295/45/20 and the fit perfectly fine. Just a little overhang. Barely noticeable. No issues with wear and I'm a pretty aggressive driver.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just went through this same process. I went with 275/55/20 Hankook Ventus St on stock rims. The look and ride is much better than the stock 265's. Absolutely no rubbing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just went through this same process. I went with 275/55/20 Hankook Ventus St on stock rims. The look and ride is much better than the stock 265's. Absolutely no rubbing.

The 275/55-20 size is basically a 20" rim version of the 32" tall tire. The stock 265/50-20 size is basically a 20" rim version of the 30.5" tall tire. You may want to check your speedometer and mileage accuracy now with the slightly taller tire. There are tools available to reset those for the taller 32" tire. There are also more A/T type tires available in the 275/55-20 size if that is also what you are looking for, which is popular with the folks that are more off-road or trail oriented or have a mild lift kit or say have installed the Bilstein 5100 front shocks to reduce the rake or for added front ground clearance or just want to give their Durango a more "purposeful" or aggressive appearance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 275/55-20 size is basically a 20" rim version of the 32" tall tire. The stock 265/50-20 size is basically a 20" rim version of the 30.5" tall tire. You may want to check your speedometer and mileage accuracy now with the slightly taller tire. There are tools available to reset those for the taller 32" tire. There are also more A/T type tires available in the 275/55-20 size if that is also what you are looking for, which is popular with the folks that are more off-road or trail oriented or have a mild lift kit or say have installed the Bilstein 5100 front shocks to reduce the rake or for added front ground clearance or just want to give their Durango a more "purposeful" or aggressive appearance.
Correct. My speedo is 4mph off now. The tire I originally wanted, they stopped making in the size I wanted. So I went for these. No regrets.
Just bidding time for the Durango Hellcat.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I run the new factory size on my stock 20x8, 295/45/20 and the fit perfectly fine. Just a little overhang. Barely noticeable. No issues with wear and I'm a pretty aggressive driver.

What brand did you purchase?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Do you think you can post pics of what this tire size looks like on this wheel?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts