Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed when I was going to change my wife's oil in her 22 for the first time that the book now says 0W-20 instead of the 5W-20. Any idea on the reason for the swap? I actually had some 0W-20 AMSOIL as well as a ton of 5W-20. I ended up going about half and half just to get rid of the 0W 20. Why did they switch for 22? I'm not aware of any motor changes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I noticed when I was going to change my wife's oil in her 22 for the first time that the book now says 0W-20 instead of the 5W-20. Any idea on the reason for the swap? I actually had some 0W-20 AMSOIL as well as a ton of 5W-20. I ended up going about half and half just to get rid of the 0W 20. Why did they switch for 22? I'm not aware of any motor changes.
What is the recommended change cycle now? How many miles and months??

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just my thoughts. The 5.7 has a history of camshaft failure, due to rollers in the lifters seizing up. Most likely a contributing factor is a lack if lubrication. A lighter oil, especially during initial cold starts, will assist in lubrcating the rollers.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Already been using 0w-20 in my 2014 since new...just made sense to use over 5w-20 when most wear is during startup. But I agree in that the differences between the oils is very minimal and only seen in extreme cold temps.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
137 Posts
FWIW there was a star case for the 5.7 manual challenger in which FCA recommended switching from 5w20 to 0w40 used in the 6.4 as a remedy to quiet down valvetrain noise.

If anything I think the switch might be related to less viscous drag thereby trying to improve mpg ever so slightly. Kinda like they did for the 3.6. I know when I put a thicker viscosity gear oil in my rear diff of the challenger I swear I saw a slight drop in mpg.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
137 Posts
It is still VVT but I don't think viscosity impacts the operation as much as mds. Although 6.4s with mds also take 0w40 so most likely different lifter fill times in the tune or something similar.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's all about EPA fuel mileage. Some new cars are running a 0W-16, and there are plans in the works for a 0W-8 - water, pretty much! It's all about mileage numbers - automakers could care less about engine longevity. That much has been obvious to me over the past 20 years, namely the past 15.

There's no getting around physics. While a thin oil certainly flows better, especially below zero, nothing protects like an oil with more viscosity (To a point).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think on the 3.6 they went to that when they added the stupid stop/start system . My 2020 is 0w-20 .

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
137 Posts
I know in 2022 the 5.7 (no start stop available) on challengers went from 5w20 to 0w20 but the 3.6 remained on 5w20. In fact, folks are talking about it in a recent thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts