Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of posts that mention or show plasti dip projects. They're all pretty amazing.

I'm considering getting rid of all the chrome and dark grayish black fascias..

Anyone have any experience with white plastidip on the chrome grille, lower black front fascia, side fascias with black plastic AND the chrome strip, etc?

Does it cover pretty evenly? Does it come close to matching the "bright white" paint in terms of shade? How durable is that stuff? Will I need to redo it every 6 months? How long does it last? etc etc etc.

Appreciate any and all responses..

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
I dont like the White it doesnt stay as good looking as the other colors due over time
I would Do Black and glossifier over all your Chrome parts for a unique look
STEVE

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont like the White it doesnt stay as good looking as the other colors due over time
I would Do Black and glossifier over all your Chrome parts for a unique look
STEVE
And the white is a matte finish.
Thanks..

My goal is to get rid of a lot of the chrome.. the grill, ok.. i can see black. But the lower fascia chrome? I assume if I wanna do black I'll need to do the entire fascia.. same with the side ones? Black and glossifier? Anyone done this on theirs?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I did black Flexi-dip (rustoleums bersion of plastidip, Home Depot had 1 can of black plasti but tons of flexi) on my little brothers hand me down minivan hubcaps back in May, so about 2 months and they still look really good. I've read that the flexi dip is harder to get off past about 3 months. He hasn't had me touch it up nor has he told me he had to touch it up... Just do light coats, I think I ended up wth 7 or 8 coats total, plus any touch ups I found once it was day light out. my first coat on these rims was like 25% coverage, it just made them look dirty. But as you put coats on it looks better and better. I didn't put any glossifier on them, but it has kind of a satin or eggshell finish... Which to a teenager is cool.

Before
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire Vehicle

After
Tire Automotive tire Rim Wheel Alloy wheel

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
I would think that if you are going to try white, you'd absolutely have to add glossifier as I can see a white matte finish picking up dirt like crazy. I'd also have a concern that the white wouldn't match the white on the truck..

Reactions: AmStatic

·
Registered
370 Posts
Does it cover pretty evenly? Does it come close to matching the "bright white" paint in terms of shade? How durable is that stuff? Will I need to redo it every 6 months? How long does it last? etc etc etc.

In my opinion Kristop's Plasti Dip on the rear badging looks really good for a color/tone match with White:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Family car

I agree adding the Clear may be a good move.

My concerns are with the front end. There's so much chrome and the front grille is designed with a lot of detail. Purchasing a black grille or scuffing and using automotive paints may be the better option in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
The White provides a nice contrast for Emblems and it looks Great, but when doing entire panels it will clash and look cheap.
STEVE

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I still have yet to see any large area of plasti-dip that looks good in person. I mean hood, roof, wheels, grill, that sort of thing. All the ones I've personally seen have been instantly identifiable and did not look good at all. That's not true for emblems and interior areas, mind you, but larger outside areas just totally turn me off from considering it myself. Pictures on the web, from what I've seen, look way better on the web than in person.

That said, I'd love to see a professional application in person so I can have my mind changed. It's entirely possible I have just run in to examples of crummy DIY jobs every time I've seen it in parking lots, etc.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm considering getting rid of all the chrome and dark grayish black fascias..

Anyone have any experience with white plastidip on the chrome grille, lower black front fascia, side fascias with black plastic AND the chrome strip, etc?

The lower back fascia is a large/broad area unlike the rear (and side for the Citadel folks) badges. It may be worth a shot with White followed by Clear Plasti Dip. If in different lighting conditions, it simply does not look good, peel it off and then try black before automotive paints or even replacing lower panels with non-chrome optioned pieces.

I attempted the side chrome pieces with Black and NO Clear. In my opinion, it is not durable enough for passengers when they rub their legs on exiting the vehicle. So, I peeled it off. Wrapping those pieces with a color match vinyl is likely going to be the more resilient option. to do this, stop by a local Instant vinyl sign shop and purchase some strips of color match vinyl. I doubt it would cost that much and the dry time for vinyl is non existent. the lower front piece may be better for the professionals to attempt due to the compound curves - that is unless you have some experience with applying vinyl using a heat gun. lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am quite surprised with the durability of PD. We have pretty extreme weather changes here and it has held up well. I've even went through an automatic car wash that has brushes that clean the wheels without any problems. As stated in another thread I put a fresh coat on mine because I had the wheels off to paint calipers. You need to be sure to do several coats to get it right. I agree with others, I think your D would look better with Black PD instead of white.

·
Registered
504 Posts
With a good gun and the right stuff it looks incredible.

·
Registered
2021 Billet R/T TNG
498 Posts
I agree with everyone else. I don't think the white is going to hold up. Better to go black with glossifier. I bought some weeks ago. Had thought about doing the exhaust as it holds up to about 320, but I'm a wuss.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I dipped the exhaust tips on my truck. Had it on for a year and it still looked good when I traded it in for the Durango.

Just an FYI you can plasti dip the backup sensors and they still work fine. I had a white Ram with black backup sensors. I dipped them white to match the truck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I dipped the exhaust tips on my truck. Had it on for a year and it still looked good when I traded it in for the Durango.

Just an FYI you can plasti dip the backup sensors and they still work fine. I had a white Ram with black backup sensors. I dipped them white to match the truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts