Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 00` Dodge Durango and I drive my truck around to my buddy's house and we sat in the car and played music. Well I didn't turn the ignition over while we were doing so and when I realized this I cut the car off and tried to start the car. To no avail. Well I end up having to call AAA to see if I can get a jump. Needless to say that didn't work. So I had the card told to my house got up under there and took out the starter then got to use one refurbished and slap that bad boy in there. Upon trying to start the car is making a whining noise as if the starters under stress trying to work. So I took it out and I tested the starter perfect. I put it back in try to crank it over and the whining noise happened again. What is this noise does anyone know please and thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,727 Posts
Dayuno:
Welcome to DDN, and Happy Thanksgiving. It sounds like your new starter may have a bad bendix or drive. The bendix is what moves the drive out to engage the flex plate (flywheel), and the drive is what drives the flywheel. You can easily test the drive by hand Grab the small wheel with the teeth on it, and try turn it by hand both directions. It should rotate one way with some effort, but not the other. If it turns both ways, it is bad and that is your issue.
If the bendix is bad, or sticking, it won't move the drive out far enough to engage the flywheel teeth, hence the whirring noise you are hearing.

Don

·
Registered
313 Posts
When AAA came to give you a jump, did the car turn over, starter try to engage or was it just 'dead' with nothing happening? Check you battery as well, do you know the age of the battery?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts