Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 durango and i need to replace the power steering pump. I flushed it with regular power steering fluid and a few days later the seal blew. I asked a friend that works for mopar and he says they just use ATf. But the last time I put ATF in a vehicle (1990 grand marquis) it blew the seal. I've heard people say in older vehicles like the 80s they put ATF in everything but now its bad for vehicles. my other friend says a lot of vehicles still run on the stuff though. So what the f*ck do i put in my dang power steering pump.

·
Super Moderator
12,775 Posts
The last TSB I see (19-007-01) says it came from the factory with MS5931 and you can change to ATF+4 (MS9602) IF you drain the system first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Now the tsb says you can flush the system and use atf+4? i remember originally it said do not use atf+4 at all but you could flush with mopar+4 which is different then freakin atf+4 apparently but the valvoline ps fluid met the oem spec for 5931 which is what i used and caused a leak.

"All models should be serviced using the specified MS5931 fluid. ATF+4 is not an approved Power Steering Fluid and should never be used under any circumstances. Note that all fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition."

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
You must flush that out completely, It will take a few times of filling and draining.
The steering system will run a bit cooler with the ATF+4 and the valvoline can be used as it is the same stuff
STEVE

·
Super Moderator
12,775 Posts

I believe the last version of the TSB for 2000 models says ATF+4, after a drain. Flush would be good but not required.. but.. if you don't know what someone else has put in the system, a flush is worthwhile. Someone might have put in QuickyLoob Universal Goose Pee, and it would be good to get that out..

...tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the pump yesterday and bought a new rubber return line from the cooler to the reservoir. It's a 3/8th in hose I got it to go on the reservoir but for the life of me I can't get it to connect to the cooler. I was pushing and pulling and twisting so much the cooler hose started bending I tried putting some wd-40 on the cooler tip and anything i could think of. Do I even really need the cooler? Should I go buy a 1/2 in hose? Or try to cut some material out of the rubber hose? Help please.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts