Dodge Durango Forum banner

3561 - 3580 of 3597 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I washed and waxed my SRT for the first time. Used Chemical Brothers Butter Wax. We shall see. My only issue is that I was hoping to get rid of the spots on the black portion of the vehicle but those did not come out. They were there when I got it and I just assumed they would wash out. Guess not. It still cleaned up nicely, though!

View attachment 110305
Love that color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Definitely a yes, I did mine in orange las year and have to redo it, make sure you use a 2K clear otherwise it will fade...

When I painted it, I was just curious what it would look like on the vehicle and didn't have any time to spray any clear on it. I'm thinking that over time, the vinyl stripes are going to fade so maybe they'll fade together. If not, I can always pull it off and shoot it with some clear, or respray if I need to.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I washed and waxed my SRT for the first time. Used Chemical Brothers Butter Wax. We shall see. My only issue is that I was hoping to get rid of the spots on the black portion of the vehicle but those did not come out. They were there when I got it and I just assumed they would wash out. Guess not. It still cleaned up nicely, though!

View attachment 110305
Is the black portion your referring to the hood? And is that a painted hood or a wrap one? It looks like a painted hood, but I will give my recommendations for both.

This can be subjective here depending on what you mean by spots. If the hood is painted, a polish at minimum, and a compound worse case should take care of the spots. You can apply both by hand, no need to buy a machine polisher if you don't already have one. Or playing devils advocate maybe this is the excuse you needed to finally get one LOL!

If it is a vinyl wrapped hood, you can do the same thing, however you need to be very careful on vinyl as you can discolor it. Another option with a wrapped vehicle is there are companies out there that specifically make cleaners for vinyl. I am pretty sure Chemical Guys has one designed for this if you like their products.

Edit:

Love the color BTW! We are currently talking about trading in our 2018 R/T soon for an SRT, and my wife commented on this color as one she liked.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Triple D

·
Registered
'18 Mopar Special Edition #099 of 250 B5 Blue
32 Posts
Is the black portion your referring to the hood? And is that a painted hood or a wrap one? It looks like a painted hood, but I will give my recommendations for both.

This can be subjective here depending on what you mean by spots. If the hood is painted, a polish at minimum, and a compound worse case should take care of the spots. You can apply both by hand, no need to buy a machine polisher if you don't already have one. Or playing devils advocate maybe this is the excuse you needed to finally get one LOL!

If it is a vinyl wrapped hood, you can do the same thing, however you need to be very careful on vinyl as you can discolor it. Another option with a wrapped vehicle is there are companies out there that specifically make cleaners for vinyl. I am pretty sure Chemical Guys has one designed for this if you like their products.

Edit:

Love the color BTW! We are currently talking about trading in our 2018 R/T soon for an SRT, and my wife commented on this color as one she liked.

It's paint. And the spots don't show or aren't there on the blue portion. I've only had this for 2 weeks now, so I'm still learning. Since I already waxed it, I'll wait on the polish until about September. It is going to bug me for sure!

Thanks!

·
Registered
842 Posts
It's paint. And the spots don't show or aren't there on the blue portion. I've only had this for 2 weeks now, so I'm still learning. Since I already waxed it, I'll wait on the polish until about September. It is going to bug me for sure!

Thanks!
No problem!

I can tell you the paint isn't always perfect on a new vehicle and sometimes needs a little TLC. Mine was so bad water wouldn't bead anywhere, and I couldn't see out of any window when it rained because the water would more or less stick to the surface.

I had to clay bar (which is what really helped) and machine polish the entire Durango 5 days after I bought it. Other than that the paint looked OK, it just felt really rough like sandpaper, same with the windows until I fixed it. My guess it had either paint over spray from production, rail dust during transportation, or both all over it.

·
Registered
'18 Mopar Special Edition #099 of 250 B5 Blue
32 Posts
No problem!

I can tell you the paint isn't always perfect on a new vehicle and sometimes needs a little TLC. Mine was so bad water wouldn't bead anywhere, and I couldn't see out of any window when it rained because the water would more or less stick to the surface.

I had to clay bar (which is what really helped) and machine polish the entire Durango 5 days after I bought it. Other than that the paint looked OK, it just felt really rough like sandpaper, same with the windows until I fixed it. My guess it had either paint over spray from production, rail dust during transportation, or both all over it.

Well my “new” purchase was a 2018 model so it sat on the lot for quite some time until some fool took it off their hands ;-) My guess is those spots have been there quite some time.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well my “new” purchase was a 2018 model so it sat on the lot for quite some time until some fool took it off their hands ;-) My guess is those spots have been there quite some time.
LOL!

Speaking of fools, when I bought my 2018, it was raining during the test drive, and for the next 4 days. When it finally stopped, and I got to work on correcting the paint I found that the bottom of the rear bumper, from presumably coming off of a semi trailer during delivery, had several deep scratches in it. Had I got on my hands and knees like I normally do, I would have seen it before I drove it off the lot. But of course I was too lazy and didn't want to get wet from all the standing water in the parking lot. It was covered of course, but it resulted in a bunch of unscheduled return trips to and from the dealership...lesson learned haha!

Anyway, if it was just sitting around and not abused by some idiot detailer at your dealership, it can probably be fixed without too much work.

Reactions: Triple D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Changed backup lights for Projection LEDs... They are very bright! Almost like rear headlights.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Where did you buy them? Can you provide a link?

Thanks,
Riaz

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum... I’ve had my 2015 Durango R/T for close to 5 years now. Color is White with the Blacktop Package. Decided to do some repairs/upgrades a couple of months ago. This forum helped me out a lot when making upgrade decisions.

1. Installed K&N cold air intake (77-1563K&N).
  2. Replaced Racetrack Tail Light due water damage. Also installed LED reverse light bulbs in the process.
  3. Installed Power Stop Brakes, Rotors, and Calipers (Red) Kit.
  4. Repaired chipped wheel and installed 4 new tires.
  5. Installed BT Catch Can.
  6. Front bumper repainted due to chips and minor deep scratches.
  7. Removed Chrome Dodge Lettering on Racetrack Tail Light.
  8. Replaced Cabin Air filter with K&N Washable Cabin Air Filter.
  9. Installed Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust System (14459BLK).
  10. Replaced Mopar Slush Mats with Husky WeatherBeaters.
  11. Installed Black Lug Nut Covers Caps to match the black rims.
The truck is so much more fun to drive now. Looks and drives amazing after all the repairs and upgrades.
F4BD90C3-665C-4403-BA7D-1350E9371AB8.jpeg
E4246228-1F4B-4E0F-A98E-113C44DB6D6F.jpeg
C5C7BC53-56E1-4E8A-BBFE-ADACAFC134AC.jpeg
84A07798-3C8B-4D29-9A15-95A1F2F33485.jpeg

·
Registered
306 Posts
New to the forum... I’ve had my 2015 Durango R/T for close to 5 years now. Color is White with the Blacktop Package. Decided to do some repairs/upgrades a couple of months ago. This forum helped me out a lot when making upgrade decisions.

2. Replaced Racetrack Tail Light due water damage. Also installed LED reverse light bulbs in the process.
The truck is so much more fun to drive now. Looks and drives amazing after all the repairs and upgrades. View attachment 110367 View attachment 110368 View attachment 110369 View attachment 110370
Welcome to the forum! Nice job! Looking good!

·
Registered
89 Posts

The truck is so much more fun to drive now. Looks and drives amazing after all the repairs and upgrades. View attachment 110367 View attachment 110368 View attachment 110369 View attachment 110370
Nice upgrades

3561 - 3580 of 3597 Posts