Dodge Durango Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
One thing that everyone seems to forget are the brakes. With the '11-13 V6 Durango when you ordered the factory tow package you got the HD V8 brakes. With the '14+ Durango V6 the HD V8 brakes were no longer part of the factory tow package. But the HD V8 brakes are standard on the '14+ Citadel whether you have the factory tow package or not. Yes I know that all sound crazy. So if you plan to tow a heavy trailer with a '14+ V6 Durango, I would recommend that you either start with a Citadel that has the factory tow package, upgrade the front and rear brakes on your '14+ V6 Durango non-Citadel model that has the factory tow package (which is what I did to mine) or simple just buy the V8 Durango with a tow package.

·
Registered
193 Posts
TT weight not bad as long as your not taking everything you own with you :) I would be a little concerned with the tongue weight though at 580 you dont have much wiggle room the WDH hitch probably weighs 50 lbs plus lp tanks and battery

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in a similar situation as well. We have a '15 Citadel V6 w/ factory tow package (6200 lb tow/620 lb tongue), and am looking at our first travel trailer. Family of five (kids 4/6/8 y.o). Our first choice travel trailer is 5100 lbs. w/ 580 lb tongue wt (both dry weights) and am concerned about the feasibility of this towing matchup, especially since we could easily tack on 1,000+ lbs of cargo, water, propane, food, etc... I would obviously use a WD hitch and install a brake controller, but one of our first major trips would be from Florida to Maine for the summer and a long haul like that is not really a time to 'test the waters'. Been going back and forth between DD.net and the trailer towing/RV forums for weight guidelines and things are pretty close to "iffy." It seems like we're right on the cusp of backing down to a smaller (lighter) trailer which we may not be as comfortable/enjoy, or ponying up the cash to trade in the V6 for a V8. I have always loved the power (sometimes stupid fun (thinking of you, Impala SS)) of a V8, but since the D is our family city hauler most of the time, its hard to go the V8 route for ~5% towing time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in a similar situation as well. We have a '15 Citadel V6 w/ factory tow package (6200 lb tow/620 lb tongue), and am looking at our first travel trailer. Family of five (kids 4/6/8 y.o). Our first choice travel trailer is 5100 lbs. w/ 580 lb tongue wt (both dry weights) and am concerned about the feasibility of this towing matchup, especially since we could easily tack on 1,000+ lbs of cargo, water, propane, food, etc... I would obviously use a WD hitch and install a brake controller, but one of our first major trips would be from Florida to Maine for the summer and a long haul like that is not really a time to 'test the waters'. Been going back and forth between DD.net and the trailer towing/RV forums for weight guidelines and things are pretty close to "iffy." It seems like we're right on the cusp of backing down to a smaller (lighter) trailer which we may not be as comfortable/enjoy, or ponying up the cash to trade in the V6 for a V8. I have always loved the power (sometimes stupid fun (thinking of you, Impala SS)) of a V8, but since the D is our family city hauler most of the time, its hard to go the V8 route for ~5% towing time.
I picked up our toy hauler today, 5500lbs dry weight, added the brake trailer, WDH, and sway control bar. Really surprised me honestly, drove it home about an hour away and averaged 8 mpg. The truck can pull it really well, but soon as I started catching some strong crosswinds, Boy! my hands where sweating keeping it in its lane, not to mention I am a commercial truck driver. My honest opinion, for close stuff.. like 2 to 3 hours away I'd be ok. But doing long runs, I'd really feel Iffy doing them, especially with the whole family loaded in the vehicle. just my 2 cents! I'm currently looking at diesel trucks on craiglist....lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I picked up our toy hauler today, 5500lbs dry weight, added the brake trailer, WDH, and sway control bar. Really surprised me honestly, drove it home about an hour away and averaged 8 mpg. The truck can pull it really well, but soon as I started catching some strong crosswinds, Boy! my hands where sweating keeping it in its lane, not to mention I am a commercial truck driver. My honest opinion, for close stuff.. like 2 to 3 hours away I'd be ok. But doing long runs, I'd really feel Iffy doing them, especially with the whole family loaded in the vehicle. just my 2 cents! I'm currently looking at diesel trucks on craiglist....lol.
That’s great feedback, especially from a commercial driver who probably has a good sense of what feels uncomfortable on the road. Just to be clear, you were pulling with a V6 D as well? Out of curiosity, what make/model trailer did you get and also which WDH?

·
Registered
7 Posts
That’s great feedback, especially from a commercial driver who probably has a good sense of what feels uncomfortable on the road. Just to be clear, you were pulling with a V6 D as well? Out of curiosity, what make/model trailer did you get and also which WDH?
yes it is a 2017 dodge durango v6 Gt Awd with factory tow package. I'm pulling a wildwood xlite 251. The place I bought the trailer, installed the WDH and Sway bar, and Brake controller. Not sure what brand they are.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just keep looking for TT there are alot of choices that should fit the bill. Better off going that route than always wondering if things are gong to be ok. Here is a coachman freedom express 246rks 80lbs less tongue

·
Registered
2 Posts
its actually 775, what's 20lbs.. I don't have a battery up front but there is dual propane tanks up front and I don't drive around with my tanks full. also, I have the distribution hitch so that changes how my D pulls my hauler. guess if I didn't have the distribution hitch im guessing I would have a hard time pulling the camper. with that being said, I am no trailer pro here and don't claim to be but I could care less about the number to honest. I might sound arrogant but my rig is setup right, its safe and I have no issues what so ever, it does not sway and I have no problems breaking no floating steering, turns and drives great. tarns temp hovers at 204 and I get roughly 250miles out of a tank. I was running 10-11 mpg heading to North Carolina at 65mph, got 8mpg coming home doing 70mph
I am sure if there was an issue pulling it with my D I would've figured this out last October when I headed over to cape Hatteras with my bike and all my gear for a weeks stay. planning the same trip at the end of April and ill be pulling with my D and my bike and all my gear again.
Thanks for your comments. I bought a tt yesterday, dry weight being 5500 but didn't realize the gross was 7500 till after I bought. I don't plan on loading too much into it when traveling. From reading your comments I'm thinking iight be ok? I have the tow package with 6200 cap. This thread is a bit old, wondering if you still feel the same laser?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your comments. I bought a tt yesterday, dry weight being 5500 but didn't realize the gross was 7500 till after I bought. I don't plan on loading too much into it when traveling. From reading your comments I'm thinking iight be ok? I have the tow package with 6200 cap. This thread is a bit old, wondering if you still feel the same laser?
That was my same thought process, my toyhauler dry is 5600lbs, pulling it empty on the highway didnt seem to struggle to much until I started getting some cross winds and that's when things got a little squirrelly. Also you have to keep in mind toyhauler are heavier on the front end, or put more tounge weight on the truck. palms sweaty the rest of the way home. the durango managed it. But definitely driving the whole way super concentrated and worried. My first trip out though was what really made me change my mind. I left my house keeping it as light as possible, even left with my fresh water tank empty. After 3 days of dry camping and a family of 5, when it was time to go all tanks are full. not sure how big your tanks are, but a 100 gallon tank is about 1000lbs, or so I've been told. I was trying to pull out of my spot and that durango struggled, I literally had the pedal floored and was barely moving. it was a small incline, with some loose gravel, If the trailer didnt have brakes I'm sure i would have ended up in the tree line. the sheer weight of the fully loaded trailer was dragging me back down. after a couple tries and beating the crap out of the durango, it did it!! it pulled out of the tiny hill. I went home and looked online, bought a 2003 ram 3500 4x4 the next week. Hope this helps. Doesnt matter how light you think you will be, you will easily add another 1000lbs before you know it. I Learned the lesson the hard way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its all clear as mud. Why is the tongue weight different for the larger engines, and do you have to add the tongue weight as if it were payload in the car, which then reduces the cars payload potential and the overall towing capacity? Adding the TT to the car payload seems like double dipping, but I am a total novice and trying to find the best trailer for my family, which is proving very difficult. Thanks for all the advice on this thread so far!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its all clear as mud. Why is the tongue weight different for the larger engines, and do you have to add the tongue weight as if it were payload in the car, which then reduces the cars payload potential and the overall towing capacity? Adding the TT to the car payload seems like double dipping, but I am a total novice and trying to find the best trailer for my family, which is proving very difficult. Thanks for all the advice on this thread so far!
I'm not sure how much weight difference there is between the V6 and V8 engines, but undoubtedly the V8 weighs more. Therefore there is more weight above the front wheels on the V8. So, the 120 lb tongue weight difference between the two engines probably has mostly to do with ensuring there is enough weight on the front wheels to provide safe towing. The heavier V8 counters the extra 120 lbs on the hitch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, to add to the chorus of "is a V6 enough for..." my wife and I are strongly considering a 2017 Wolf Pup camper that our in-laws are offering at a steal. Specs here: Full Specs for 2017 Forest River Wolf Pup 16BHS RVs | RVUSA.com

Seems like this trailer a lot lighter than 5600lb toy hauler that is oft discussed here. With that in mind, we are also looking for an everyday vehicle for my wife (which would also serve as the towing vehicle) - should I feel ok about a '17-'19 Durango V6 if we do plan to take this camper (along with our two kids) out semi-frequently on some long hauls into the smoky and rocky mountains? Realizing the V-8 is a very safe bet, is the V-6 something I can feel good about with this particular trailer? Total novice here - appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure how much weight difference there is between the V6 and V8 engines, but undoubtedly the V8 weighs more. Therefore there is more weight above the front wheels on the V8. So, the 120 lb tongue weight difference between the two engines probably has mostly to do with ensuring there is enough weight on the front wheels to provide safe towing. The heavier V8 counters the extra 120 lbs on the hitch.
Great point, just another piece of the puzzle I guess. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
1 Posts
im a total novice as well. deciding bet the 2020 v6 or v8. looking to tow toy trailer w/ dry weight of around 3700 lbs. Ill be with my wife and 2 teenager on a month long trip to the east coast. just want some ideas just like cjcjcjc

·
Registered
5 Posts
What I have learned is if the toyhauler is 3700 lbs, you should be good with the V6. From my calculations for the GCVW for the V6 of 11,600 lbs, and the truck being 4810 of that, with my family of 4, 2 dogs, lugguage, food, water, gas, stuff such as firewood, bikes, liquor, propane, etc., the V6 can handle a trailer upwards of 4500 - 4600 lbs, depending on tongue weight and how much stuff you plan to bring. Here are my calculations, and you would want to confirm you Curb weight and you Durango's GCVW as they will vary. If you wanted to pull anything over 4500 lbs, go for the V8s, although they suck more gas, they have much higher payload and tongue weights.
Weight (lbs)
Vehicle Curb
4810​
Trailer Dry
4585​
Family
600​
Lugguage
150​
10 gallons of potable water
83​
4 bikes
120​
Food
125​
Fuel - Gas
150​
Propane
74​
Water 0.5 gal /person/day
83​
Chairs
34​
Wood - 6-7 bundles
175​
Wine - 8 bottles
20.8​
Tongue Weight
578​
Dogs
100​
Total GCWR
11687.8​
Durango Capacity
11600​
Difference
(87.80)​

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, to add to the chorus of "is a V6 enough for..." my wife and I are strongly considering a 2017 Wolf Pup camper that our in-laws are offering at a steal. Specs here: Full Specs for 2017 Forest River Wolf Pup 16BHS RVs | RVUSA.com

Seems like this trailer a lot lighter than 5600lb toy hauler that is oft discussed here. With that in mind, we are also looking for an everyday vehicle for my wife (which would also serve as the towing vehicle) - should I feel ok about a '17-'19 Durango V6 if we do plan to take this camper (along with our two kids) out semi-frequently on some long hauls into the smoky and rocky mountains? Realizing the V-8 is a very safe bet, is the V-6 something I can feel good about with this particular trailer? Total novice here - appreciate the feedback
I'm a novice/ newb but from the research I've been checking out, that trailer should be easy peasy with a v6

·
Registered
764 Posts
I just used my V8 Citadel to pull a ~5700 lbs car w/ trailer.

Doing 70-75 mph on the highway, over the course of 400 miles I averaged a surprising 15.2 mpg (hand calculated, Eco Off, Sport Mode on, 89 octane)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My towing experience with a 2014 Durango V6 AWD with Tow Package and Electric Brake system.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Trips: Texas to Cali (2x). Texas to New Mexico (1x)

Trailer: 7x12 Enclosed Cargo Trailer, single axle with a 5200lbs axle rating and 7ft high ceiling. (huge wind drag). All tow trips was with this trailer.

Trailer Cargo: RZR XP1000 Two Seater + Gear (1st trip to Cali) , RZR XP1000 4 Seater + Gear (2nd Trip to Cali) and RZRXP1000 4 Seater + Gear (Trip to New Mexico).

Vehicle Cargo: 3 Adults + 2 Kids (1st trip to Cali), 2 Adults + 2 Kids (2nd trip to Cali) and 2 Adults + 2 Kids (1st trip to NM). And trip gear (video game, tv, food and etc. i tried to keep it light as possible.

CAT Scale Weight: Vehicle Front: 2400 approx. Vehicle Back: 3620 approx. Trailer Axle: 3700 = Total 9720lbs (This weight was during my trip to NM). It was my first CAT scale.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Trip to Cali (1st):.
I don't recall because it was a few years ago, but I think it did okay. My average speed was between 55mph to 60mph.

Trip to Cali (2nd):
My average speed was between 55mph to 60 mph. I think 8-10 mpg. It was a long tip. My V6 struggled on up hills and mountains. High RPMs. Mostly on 5th gear the whole trip. Transmission temp 200+, Engine Temp 240-250+. I think this was the heaviest towing with my enclosed trailer because of my RZRXP1K 4 Seater and alot of gear. It was a packed trailer. My engine failed when I arrived to Cali. I had over 110K+ miles on my V6. Coils went bad. engine was mis-firing. By God's grace, we were able to drive (while engine light on and misfiring piston) into a Dodge dealership and they made repairs. A whole day of my trip was at the dealership. A few months later, my rocker arms/lifters went bad and I had them replaced, but I heard the V6 rocker arms/lifter had to be replace anyways.

Trip to NM:
My average speed was between 55mph to 60 mph. In some occasions I had to engage my emergency lights upon hills because I was driving so slow. I think 8-10 mpg. My V6 struggle up hills and mountains mostly, and flat roads too. High RPMs, Mostly drove on 5th gear out of 8 gears during the trip. Summer heat time. Transmission Temp: 195-200 degrees. Engine Temp: 240-255+ degrees. On flat roads, it still struggle a bit but not as severe as hills/mtns. Trailer was packed. See list above. Read my CAT scale above. Refilled my gas tank at least 8 times.

My Bottom Line:
First, I got the V6 because we do mostly city driving so I wanted to save on gas. 6200Lbs tow rating was enough for my what I plan to tow. I think the V6 can tow but do not expect drive above 65mpg or 70mpg while towing a 7x12 enclosed trailer with up to 2000lbs of cargo + trailer weight. So far my transmission is holding up after 150K miles (no trans fluid change yet) If you are fast driver and plan to drive above 65mph, then expect your trans temp to be 200+ and engine 260+. You could run into engine failure due to excessive heat and if you drive in the summer time, it could be worse. If you have an RV Travel Trailer, I would expect the same results or worse. I've had three major trip experiences and I would rather have a V8 than a V6. In fact, we're thinking of trading our V6 AWD for a V8 AWD. Get a V8, if you plan to do RVing or tow a cargo enclosed trailer. If you have a utility trailer, than it may not be as bad however, I have no experience with that type of tow setup. I hope this helps anyone who is trying to decide between a V6 and V8.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts