Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently researching my next tow vehicle with the intention of towing a Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE. Dry weight 4500, Gross weight 5900 lbs. Both are within the specs of the V6. I have nothing against buying a V8, but this will be my wife's daily driver and the 15 city millage is quite bad.

So who out there tows this RV, or one of a similar size and weight with the V6 and how is towing with it. Looking for serous responses from people who tow towards the max tow capacity with the V6, or the V8. My setup will be with a WDH, tow package, and likely the prodigy wireless brake controller.

·
Registered
2015 Durango R/T towing, blacktop
27 Posts
My wife uses a 2015 R/T as a daily driver and tows a 2 axle horse trailer with it, fully loaded, I estimate trailer 1,500 lbs below max. This is a newer Aluminum sided trailer.
Previously we had a 2004 Durango SXT 4.7ltr v8, towing a steel trailer, 2 axle horse trailer, closer to its limits.
So let me try to hit some of your points:
Non towing we see better mpg on our Durango than the window sticker. The Hemi is way faster than V6 of that year or previous 4.7ltr 2004 Durango. I drive a Charger R/T and driving a slower vehicle is not fun.
Towing is so much easier with the 2015 hemi, compared to the 2004 or even the 94 Blazer before that.
The other factor is are you towing that RV long distances and over hills - if you are crossing the Appalachians, let alone Rocky's, you will want the Hemi.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
6200 per the factory. I'm sure they tested the limits of the V6 and the rating is probably conservative.
Seeing you'll be under that...and I'd confirm with dealer, the only issue I've found when towing at or above tow limits comes with slower acceleration and longer stopping distances.

BTW, that's a bad*** little trailer, love the layout, capacity and outdoor kitchen.
Also it has a nice (10% of dry) tongue weight..I don't see where you will need a WDH...and the 2019 tow package includes a built in brake controller.

If you're towing all across the country I think you'll be happier with the Hemi...FE would probably be the same or better than the V6 when towing too.
But if you're talking pulling the usual 2-4 times a year family vacation then I would save the coin and go V6.

Frankly my wife has driven both and can't tell any difference in performance between the V6 and Hemi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
6200 per the factory. I'm sure they tested the limits of the V6 and the rating is probably conservative.
Seeing you'll be under that...and I'd confirm with dealer, the only issue I've found when towing at or above tow limits comes with slower acceleration and longer stopping distances.

BTW, that's a bad*** little trailer, love the layout, capacity and outdoor kitchen.
Also it has a nice (10% of dry) tongue weight..I don't see where you will need a WDH...and the 2019 tow package includes a built in brake controller.

If you're towing all across the country I think you'll be happier with the Hemi...FE would probably be the same or better than the V6 when towing too.
But if you're talking pulling the usual 2-4 times a year family vacation then I would save the coin and go V6.

Frankly my wife has driven both and can't tell any difference in performance between the V6 and Hemi.

Thank you for your reply. I currently have a Chrysler Pacifica the same V6 and I am aware it can move. I currently tow a popup that weights about 2800 lbs and I have never had any issue related to power. Though a popup very little air resistance.

My wife and I are both teachers so we will use it quite a bit during the summer, but it will sit for 8 months out of the year outside of that. If the only issue is I have to go slow at grade I can live with that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm towing a 28' 5100 dry and 5660 loaded TT w/ my wifes 2011 Durango (5.7L w/ tow package) with 7200 max tow limit. The weight of the trailer won't be your limiting factor; the GVW and max axle weights (i.e. payload) will be your limiting factor. I'm maxed out because the loaded trailer tongue is 740# with the WDH engaged and I am within 400# of my 7100# GVW - and that's with only my wife and I, 60# extension ladder in back of D, and 1/4 tank of gas. For us to stay under GVW and axle limits - everything goes in the TT. What surprised me after buying the trailer, was the 600# dry tongue was almost 850# with the trailer loaded (per my DIY tongue scale), and the WDH brought that down to 740# sitting on the Durango when engaged, per CAT scales. 740# is still 20# over the limit by the way. I use an E2 WDH that levels out D and reduces sway. Couldn't be happier with our choice, but we also aren't hauling kids and stuff with us in the Durango. Ignoring when the WDH wasn't dialed in, I have never had any issues towing our trailer. Our towing to date is all state parks within 4 hours of home, no mountains.
Good luck and have fun camping.

ps: you will need a WDH and brake controller for anything over 3500#'s per my owners manual

·
Registered
57 Posts
This wasn't mentioned above, so I'll throw this out as well since you are still looking for a tow vehicle. In order to be rated to tow more than 3500#'s, the Durango has to be equipped with the OEM tow package. There are several threads discussing that the newer model RT's come with all but 2 of the tow package components. There are also comments on threads from people that bought a D, specifically told the Dealer they needed to be able to tow XXX#'s, and were still sold a Durango without a tow package, that had a 3500# tow limit.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
The trailer he's looking at only has a tonque weight of 456 lbs....which is very close to what my boat is. Might not even need a WDH, though loaded could change things as noted.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We have an R-Pod travel trailer (~3500 lbs loaded). We previously pulled it with a V6 Highlander and had no real issues with doing so. The only time we were even slowed was on > 8% mountain grades. We just upgraded to a 2019 Durango GT Plus, with which we have yet to do any significant towing. Our rationale for going with a V6 was that this vehicle is also our around-town transportation, for which a V8 is overkill. I debated for a couple of weeks whether to get an R/T or a GT Plus and, ultimately, it came down to price, gas mileage, and whether we thought it likely that we'd upgrade to a larger travel trailer.

We will be using a WDH with built-in sway control, namely a Fastway E2. We like having a system that prevents sway before it starts and even with about 400 lbs of tongue weight, there's still plenty riding on the WDH bars.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If your set on the V6, I'd get the GT for the dual exhaust and it's better breathing ability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the responses. I will without a doubt be getting one with a tow package, and the integrated brake controller, but if its hard to find the integrated brake controller that is what the prodigy wireless is for. I actually prefer the prodigy as the display lets you confirm the brakes are working.

@millmitch
Based on my current towing experience (3k popup, Chrysler Pacifica), and researching TV's, the payload capacity is one of the reasons why I like the Durango. On the low end the AWD models have 1350 lbs, and even if the tongue weight became 550 lbs, that still is enough for all the passengers in the car and some gear.

@Citadel Brian
The GT or GT Plus is the model I am looking t get.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Please consider another part of towing. The load in the vehicle itself has to be factored into the equation.

On the door stick it's lists a bunch of weight maximums.

Assuming 10% nose weight, that's 590lbs on the tow vehicle spread by the WDH front and rear.

That's 590lbs less stuff inside the car.

Take a moment to do careful calculations and decide based on that's which engine is best for you.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I currently have a Chrysler Pacifica the same V6 and I am aware it can move. I currently tow a popup that weights about 2800 lbs and I have never had any issue related to power. Though a popup very little air resistance.
I had a 2018 Pacifica... Towed a 20' pontoon boat with it one time. Weight was not as much as your new trailer but the wind resistance at speed was a real killer. The RPM's were way up pretty much the whole time at 60MPH (held at 4500, never got below 3500) and it was slower than slow. On top of that, MPG was absolutely horrendous at single digits. It was a highly disappointing experience; it just felt like it was sucking wind the whole time. I know the D is a different vehicle, but the engine is still the 3.6. I was not comfortable or confident towing that boat with that van. The boat we still have. The Pac was sold. Your trailer will likely be better aero-wise, but is there a way you could test a tow before you decide?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks again for the responses. I will without a doubt be getting one with a tow package, and the integrated brake controller, but if its hard to find the integrated brake controller that is what the prodigy wireless is for. I actually prefer the prodigy as the display lets you confirm the brakes are working.
You can monitor the integrated brake controller with the main instrument cluster screen (the one with the speedometer). It will let you set the brake controller gain and tell you how much braking is being done.

I know what you mean about tow packages being hard to find on a V6 Durango, which is the main reason I ordered ours from the factory.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I currently researching my next tow vehicle with the intention of towing a Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE. Dry weight 4500, Gross weight 5900 lbs. Both are within the specs of the V6. I have nothing against buying a V8, but this will be my wife's daily driver and the 15 city millage is quite bad.

So who out there tows this RV, or one of a similar size and weight with the V6 and how is towing with it. Looking for serous responses from people who tow towards the max tow capacity with the V6, or the V8. My setup will be with a WDH, tow package, and likely the prodigy wireless brake controller.
Here’s my 2015 v6 with the tow package pulling my 2017 26’ jayco toy hauler.
Have no issues pulling empty or with my zx14 in the back

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
no I am not over on my tongue weight and I just said that I have NO ISSUES pulling and stopping this hauler and if you looked a the picture my D isn't squatting in the rear..

I'm using the tekonsha P3 brake controller

·
Registered
193 Posts
What model Jayco is that? I have always wanted a toy hauler but they were to heavy? I have looked on the Jayco web site and don't see any toy hauler in the DD weight range?? Do tell the model Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
mines is the 2017 jayco 222 super lite
5200 dry, sleeps 6 and don't recall the max load is..not something I need to know, since I only have the V6..lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not sure if you realize but the tongue weight of the 222 is 795lbs dry that's not including propane tank/tanks battery ect...your v6 DD max tongue wieght rating is 620lbs. You are way over just sayin

·
Registered
31 Posts
its actually 775, what's 20lbs.. I don't have a battery up front but there is dual propane tanks up front and I don't drive around with my tanks full. also, I have the distribution hitch so that changes how my D pulls my hauler. guess if I didn't have the distribution hitch im guessing I would have a hard time pulling the camper. with that being said, I am no trailer pro here and don't claim to be but I could care less about the number to honest. I might sound arrogant but my rig is setup right, its safe and I have no issues what so ever, it does not sway and I have no problems breaking no floating steering, turns and drives great. tarns temp hovers at 204 and I get roughly 250miles out of a tank. I was running 10-11 mpg heading to North Carolina at 65mph, got 8mpg coming home doing 70mph
I am sure if there was an issue pulling it with my D I would've figured this out last October when I headed over to cape Hatteras with my bike and all my gear for a weeks stay. planning the same trip at the end of April and ill be pulling with my D and my bike and all my gear again.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts