Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my Durango but I really can’t take myself seriously when I am using the horn. It sounds like something they took directly from a Fiat. Like seriously WTF was Dodge thinking? I’ll probably need to switch it to something more acceptable in the future.

Edit: Here’s a video, I think something is wrong with it.

·
Super Moderator
12,862 Posts
Are both of your horns working?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah I wonder if it’s working properly. The horn on our Durango sounds fine. Pretty much the same as my F150 horn.

·
Registered
491 Posts
No clue. I did it myself in about 25 minutes and a couple beers. I think a pair of those horns go for about $80 now. I had them in my garage for a few years, though.

Edit: I’ll warn you, that the supertones are MUCH louder than stock but they are also a little high pitched. Some people think that’s worse and doesn’t sound good, however I’m of the opinion that a horn shouldnt sound good. It should be disruptive and annoying. That’s what a horn is for.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Have you stood outside your D while someone blew the horn???
Mine is freaking LOUD...so either something is wrong with yours...you have hearing problems...or you are judging the horn while sitting inside the D...which has very good sound insulation.

·
Super Moderator
12,862 Posts
What do you mean both horns?

My Durango has 7k mikes it is basically brand new so doubt it’s not working. It’s just a pathetic horn. Maybe they used different horns for certain years or something. It does not compare at all to the horns in any of the Chevys I have driven.
You have a high-note and a low-note horn.

It is possible one isn't connected or is not working, and it could have been that way since day one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Have you stood outside your D while someone blew the horn???
Mine is freaking LOUD...so either something is wrong with yours...you have hearing problems...or you are judging the horn while sitting inside the D...which has very good sound insulation.
If that’s how the horn sounds from inside the car then that’s how it will sound to other people inside their cars. Maybe there is something wrong with it I’ll have to see.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have a high-note and a low-note horn.

It is possible one isn't connected or is not working, and it could have been that way since day one.
I just found a YouTube video of someone honking the horn in a 2016 Durango...

Sounds a lot more robust than mine, however the window was down. I’ll have to see how it compares tomorrow. I’m getting an oil change this week at the dealership as well so I can have it double checked.

·
Super Moderator
12,862 Posts
Def hop in another Durango at the dealer and honk the horn.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,700 Posts
Buncha Horn Honkers !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a JGC that lost the low tone horn. It sounded so weak I was embarrassed to lock it when people were around. I laid on the horn at a dummy who almost hit me on the freeway, and the dude was startled at first, then started laughing! Definitely get the wires checked, as I'd be willing to bet you don't have both horns working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my Durango but I really can’t take myself seriously when I am using the horn. It sounds like something they took directly from a Fiat. Like seriously WTF was Dodge thinking? I’ll probably need to switch it to something more acceptable in the future.
Have a 2014 DDRT and horn sounds terrific. Maybe yours is defective.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a JGC that lost the low tone horn. It sounded so weak I was embarrassed to lock it when people were around. I laid on the horn at a dummy who almost hit me on the freeway, and the dude was startled at first, then started laughing! Definitely get the wires checked, as I'd be willing to bet you don't have both horns working.
It sounds fine when I lock it though so I’m not sure now. Keep forgetting to look into it when I’m out and about.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts