Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - been following this forum for a while for great advice. Just decided to finally create an account because of an issue that just popped up on my 15 RT Hemi blacktop w/120k. It’s a weird popping/thumping in behind my engine. I need a bit of advice. There is also a light whistling when this kicks on. To me it sounds like a pump running but it kicks on and off during run and idle. Here is a vid. Any help would great.

YouTube Vid

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Bravo:
Welcome to DDN. That chirp sounds like you may have a water pump on the way out? Was your WP replaced under the large recall a few years back? You can rule it out pretty quickly by removing the serp belt, and starting the engine for few seconds. If the sounds change, you may have a lead. You can also grab the WP snout while the belt and engine are off. If you can wiggle/wobble the WP, it's on the way out.

The good news here is that if your WP is toast, your dealer will replace it for no cost. Since you are over 100K, have you changed the plugs yet?

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don. Haven’t done the plugs yet but I’ve been pretty anal on the recalls. I can put my head in the engine compartment and this sound is at the back near the firewall. Pretty strange.

·
Registered
94 Posts
sounds within a car can "appear" from anywhere. I had a rattle coming from the passenger door, turned out to be my sunglasses rattling in the sunglass holder.

that "churping" may sound like its coming from behind the firewall, but unless the transmission is in gear, there are virtually no moving parts around there.

WP would be my first guess, my second would be maybe lifters. Did you do an oil change lately?

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Bravo:
Your video seems to show that the noise (one of them anyway) is more to the rear. The reason I say WP, is the '15's had a bunch of them go bad. You may have more than one issue at hand.

The oem plugs are NGK iridium, so they will go past 100K no problem. Just something for your "to do" list when you want a good 2-2.5 hour project. Take your time, and have plenty of extensions on hand for your ratchet.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
While you are at it, if you plan on keeping your D around, at 120k I would do the trans filter/fluid, T case, and front/rear differentials. The way you pile the miles on, coolant won't be far behind at 150K unless it gets changed for other reasons before then.

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,

just wanted to update you. Took it to my guy today and he diag’d it with a bad purge valve, bad water pump and loose tensioner and idler pulley.. Water pump was making the rattling sound. Purge valve was making the thumping sound.
Thanks for the help. That water pump was a big deal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like a very noisy purge solenoid to me. The purge solenoid sits on the driver's side of the intake manifold about where you point in the video. You can take off the engine cover and unplug the purge solenoid to see if the noise stops. Just so you know if your check engine light will come on if purge is left unplugged for a long period of time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
^^^Have to go to the judges on that one...10 minutes after his post where he said it was the purge valve you say its a noisy purge valve...plausible that you were in process of responding. ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Bravo:
Glad it all came together for you. At the time, I couldn't pull the name (purge valve) out of my gray matter, but that makes sense. I did hear the clicking on your video, but was also pretty sure your WP was toast. The WP and new coolant should have been a freebie. Hopefully they put the correct purple coolant back in.
At 120K, the tensioner, idler, and belt are fair game too.
Hopefully, you'll be in good shape for a good while.

Don

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
100K is the change interval for the serpentine belt and tensioner and I replace the idler pulley too as its a low cost part.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Chase:
The WP's covered by the recall are 7 yrs unlimited miles. You may be thinking of the purple coolant which is 10 yrs/150K.

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts