Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new here to forums ! I've got a 5.7 2012 Dodge durango crew RWD and I recently started hearing this random noise, cant tell where its coming from when I pop the hood but maybe pulleys or engine? Hoping you guys could help me figure it out. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Following here. I’m having a similar issue. Mines is more of a can being rattled sound. But seems to be only when on idle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Following here. I’m having a similar issue. Mines is more of a can being rattled sound. But seems to be only when on idle
yes sir I think that could also be a way to describe it . And yes idle , regardless if A/C is on or off . Crossing fingers that it isn’t a huge repair .

·
Registered
73 Posts
could be an idler pully...its always hard to determine sounds like that....simple way to find the sound is to get a long metal extension and place it on each component...a/c compressor, alternator...pullies and such when you put the end on the component place your ear on the end and you can hear the sound very clearly of that rattle..move it around from component to component to see which one makes the sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could be an idler pully...its always hard to determine sounds like that....simple way to find the sound is to get a long metal extension and place it on each component...a/c compressor, alternator...pullies and such when you put the end on the component place your ear on the end and you can hear the sound very clearly of that rattle..move it around from component to component to see which one makes the sound.
Oh that’s a good idea ! Yeah I figured it would be hard just from a video , was maybe hoping someone has dealt with this before me , but I will try what you suggested and see where it gets me . Thank you sir !

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
My money is on the water pump. Remove the serp belt, and check the WP snout for up/down, in/out play.
Report back what you find.

Don

Reactions: Citadel Brian

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Don hit the nail on th3 head, 1st step is to remove the belt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don hit the nail on th3 head, 1st step is to remove the belt.
Good deal , is it failing would y’all say or just loose ? Only asking because I have the extended warranty and water pump is covered 100% , so if it’s failing I’ll just get it replaced at local dodge dealership. Don’t bash me on the extended warranty thing lol, it’s paid itself for sure !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good deal , is it failing would y’all say or just loose ? Only asking because I have the extended warranty and water pump is covered 100% , so if it’s failing I’ll just get it replaced at local dodge dealership. Don’t bash me on the extended warranty thing lol, it’s paid itself for sure !
Warranty will cover it. They are prone to failing on the hemi models. I myself have had it replaced once already. I know of people who had it done multiple times.

Which extended warranty did you get? What company?

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
reyes:
Given the noise you are hearing, it is on the way out. We have had quite a few 5.7's with failing water pumps here in the last couple of years. I know the sound by heart lol.
No warranty bashing here. If you have one, I would absolutely have your dealer fix you up. Ask them to make sure they go back in with the proper coolant. Some dealers will throw in what ever cheap crap they can find, to get you out the door. It should be orange.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
reyes:
Given the noise you are hearing, it is on the way out. We have had quite a few 5.7's with failing water pumps here in the last couple of years. I know the sound by heart lol.
No warranty bashing here. If you have one, I would absolutely have your dealer fix you up. Ask them to make sure they go back in with the proper coolant. Some dealers will throw in what ever cheap crap they can find, to get you out the door. It should be orange.

Don
Good stuff Don ! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the information and help , I will for sure take it in tomorrow and I’ll make sure they put the proper coolant . I will report back here with updates as I get them . Hope you all had a great Easter weekend !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good stuff Don ! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the information and help , I will for sure take it in tomorrow and I’ll make sure they put the proper coolant . I will report back here with updates as I get them . Hope you all had a great Easter weekend !
One more thing , when I tell them about the coolant , any way I can specify it ? I’m going to tell them orange but is there a number type or something I can steer them in the right direction . I’m going to hope I wouldn’t need to but you never know these days . Again thanks a ton

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
If memory serves, the term is HOAT. The factory fill of HOAT will be orange, while the newer version of the oem stuff can be kind of pink. The newer purple stuff is OAT lol. I always did like a good bowl of oatmeal!

See this thread for a coolant usage chart. I can't figure out how to post only the chart lol.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If memory serves, the term is HOAT. The factory fill of HOAT will be orange, while the newer version of the oem stuff can be kind of pink. The newer purple stuff is OAT lol. I always did like a good bowl of oatmeal!

See this thread for a coolant usage chart. I can't figure out how to post only the chart lol.

Don
Haha ! Sounds good Don , will check it out . Thank you sir !

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
While they are in there, I would request that they put in a new t stat. If yours is original, it's a smart move.
Good luck, and keep us posted please.|

Don

·
Registered
73 Posts
your coolant type is the hoat, but you can upgrade to the oat if you want...hoat is a 5 year coolant and oat is a 10 year.....you can't put the hoat in newer vehicles though

·
Registered
67 Posts
One more thing , when I tell them about the coolant , any way I can specify it ? I’m going to tell them orange but is there a number type or something I can steer them in the right direction . I’m going to hope I wouldn’t need to but you never know these days . Again thanks a ton
Greetings Nyc360hemi and reyesjrX,
Glad to hear you are working with your dealer for this concern. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
56 Posts
Greetings Nyc360hemi and reyesjrX,
Glad to hear you are working with your dealer for this concern. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.

Rob
Dodge Cares
I sent over a DM regarding my issue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts