Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought our new '14 Citadel home yesterday. Noticed last night that the LED light assembly on the right side of the lift gate has a bunch of water in it. I didn't buy it at my closest dealer, so going back to where I got it will not be convenient. I saw some posts about condensation in the license plate light, and also in headlamps, but haven't seen anything about water in the tail lights. Has this happened to others or did I get a "special" one?

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Most don't like Warranty work except for the fact that they are guaranteed to get paid.
They don't get a lot of labor money to do warranty work.
I guess they dont think long term "Smile do the work and gain a customer"
STEVE

·
Registered
849 Posts
Is it condensation or pooling water?

I had condensation in mine and was told it was normal. Has not been an issue since.

- Danny

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
There seems to be a few problems with moisture in lighting assemblies especially the license plate lights burning out.
There should not be anything more than a drop of water inside the lights if any. That will just lead to shorting issues
STEVE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can take it to the closest dealer for warranty work, but I would think the selling dealer might be a bit nicer (loaner, etc.) about addressing it, that's all, considering it was already defective when they delivered it.

It's a lot more than condensation - there's 4-6 oz of water sloshing around in there.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
That's not good!

STEVE

·
Registered
284 Posts
There was a thread about this about 3-4 weeks ago. Had the same problem with mine, they ended up having to replace both license plate bulbs. Both had water in them, only one had burned out but they assumed the same would happen. I had to push a bit to have them cover it under warrenty but they finally did. Problem with the license plate lights is they are not just bulbs they are actual LED units so not many dealerships carry them in stock. I popped one out and i think the problem is the unit is not sealed itself and where it sits in the housing there is no rubber seal so water (most likely from a car wash) gets up into the black housing and has no where to go but into the unsealed edges of the LED unit. The dealer said they hadnt seen it before but only time will tell. I have washed mine by hand ever since because I dont feel like one going out and getting stopped by the Police.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FWIW, water in the right side of the light array on the lift gate on my 2015. Replaced the entire assembly under warranty. If it had been 10 years old, I'da prolly just drilled a drain hole. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2018(5 month's old GT). I noticed yesterday when I left for work that my race track was not working. I called the dealership and they said to drop it off since it was a safety issue(I leave for work when it's dark and return home when its dark, so no tail lights). When I dropped it off last night, the service adviser noticed that the whole lower section of the light was filled with water. I called them @ 1pm today to find out what was up, after being on hold for 18 minutes, they told me that they were going to do a 'repair' to my tail lights. I told them under no condition would i accept a 'repair' The LEDs were submersed in water and it would not be a question of 'if' they corroded and failed, but 'when'. They already weren't working, what made them think that it was going to get better? Needless to say, I spent 90 minutes on the phone with FCA claims and was disconnected twice, and I am still awaiting a call back from them. The vehicle is at the dealership, 53 miles from where I work, and it is now 4pm and it looks like my vehicle isn't going to be fixed any time soon. Not a happy camper

·
Registered
26 Posts
If all the LED's work then get used to the fact that this is a recurring issue and you should inspect often. You could remove one of the bolts with 10mm socket and drain the water your self. But it will happen again after heavy rain.
. The first set at around 40K miles I was able to get replaced under extended warranty. The second set at around 90k they told me that they don't cover broken lenses with water issues. So, I just replaced the set myself with a new functioning 100% rear light that I bought on eBay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have the same problem on my 2015 sxt. i removed the bottom bolt on each side and left off for the past week or so, so that it can drain on it's own.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If all the LED's work then get used to the fact that this is a recurring issue and you should inspect often. You could remove one of the bolts with 10mm socket and drain the water your self. But it will happen again after heavy rain.
. The first set at around 40K miles I was able to get replaced under extended warranty. The second set at around 90k they told me that they don't cover broken lenses with water issues. So, I just replaced the set myself with a new functioning 100% rear light that I bought on eBay.
Just curious if the second time it happened, was your extended warranty over? I ask because I am literally sitting at my Dodge dealer getting mine replaced under the extended warranty as well and just curious what to expect if it happens again. Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just curious if the second time it happened, was your extended warranty over? I ask because I am literally sitting at my Dodge dealer getting mine replaced under the extended warranty as well and just curious what to expect if it happens again. Thanks
Which extended warranty do you have? I ask because I've never heard of an extended warranty covering this issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Which extended warranty do you have? I ask because I've never heard of an extended warranty covering this issue. Thanks.
I have the max care lifetime warranty. I honestly don't know why it's covered as after looking over the warranty paperwork before coming to the dealer, it didn't seem promising. I don't know why it came up as covered but I'm not complaining. Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also have the Mopar lifetime and was turned down for warranty coverage because I unfortunately mentioned to the dealership there was humidity/water in there. I was turned down because that is what the dealership told the warranty people and "seals" and lights are not covered. Now I'm in the system so even if I went to a different dealership 30 miles away I doubt I would get it replaced under the lifetime warranty since I'm already in the system. Don't mention the leakage!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I also have the Mopar lifetime and was turned down for warranty coverage because I unfortunately mentioned to the dealership there was humidity/water in there. I was turned down because that is what the dealership told the warranty people and "seals" and lights are not covered. Now I'm in the system so even if I went to a different dealership 30 miles away I doubt I would get it replaced under the lifetime warranty since I'm already in the system. Don't mention the leakage!
Sorry to hear that. I just told them that the light is filled with water and it blew out one section of LED's already. I'm actually still waiting at the dealer for it to be replaced while I type this so until I'm out the door with a new racetrack tail light for my $100 deductible, I'll never put anything past a dealer service department.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts