Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
22 Durango RT
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at cold air intakes for my 22 RT with the heat extraction hood. I have narrowed it down to the Volant or AFE. How is the Fit and finish of either intake for those who have? Ease of install?

· Registered
115 Posts
I tried both. Here's my experience:

I went with the Volant originally. When I received it and looked at the build, I was disappointed with the filter housing, it looks like it was hand molded with uneven contour and such (definitely not what expected for the price point). I went to install it, took a few tries to get the filter to stay clamped onto the housing as there was no ridge and as I tightened the clamp it would pop the filter off the housing mount. Next, trying to install the housing/filter into the bay I came across that a bolt (the close up in the instructions that states stock bolt) which is required to take out and install a bracket is a painted over bolt that attaches the fender structure to the unibody. I stopped when I got to that step and returned it. Between the filter attachment issues and my personal thing that I shouldn't be pulling hardware like that for an air filter, I decided not to use it. Volant 3rd Gen Durango Instructions

I then ordered the AFE, it comes with the manufacturing quality you'd expect. You'll see a lot of people discussing on the Durango that the filter pops out of the housing. That is definitely an issue, the intake tube seems to be just short of the needed length. So the fix, which is not ideal, is getting an offset coupler hose for the throttle body connection like the HPS HTSOC-350-BLK. This resolves the distance and it all fits well. One gripe I have with the AFE that I have not found a solution is that the filter's base itself, which is all rubber, is what the housing clamps to, and even though I have that clamp at tight as it can go, that filter could be pulled out of the housing if the other end of the intake tube is not connected. So no real hazard driving, just a design factor I am not pleased with. AFE GT Momentum 3rd Gen Durango Instructions

In the end, either seems fine, both have pros and cons for the install. For me, both miss the mark on fit and quality issues, but there aren't any other options I'm aware of for the sport vented hood. Personally, even with the issues, I prefer the AFE for the overall build quality and filter housing install. AFE does provide a dyne sheet from their testing, I haven't seen one from Volant. And the instructions for install are better documented as you can see between the two. Both have filter attachment issues, but from my experience, the Volant was keeping the filter properly attached to the housing mount, and if comes off the filter itself drops off and it's an open intake. The AFE is the issue of keeping the filter in the housing, but the filter stays attached to the intake pipe even if it backs out of the housing, and if it does back out it doesn't appear to expose filter material, just the mounting part as shown in the second picture below.

Here's a pic I took of the AFE intake after I installed the BBK 85mm throttle body. FYI, the engine cover is just pushed back instead of removed, so not where it normally sits. I circled the offset coupling for the throttle body and the filter housing clamp (the larger of the two) that I discuss. You can see that clamp is as tight as it can go.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior

Here's a screenshot of a review video of the AFE on the Durango... ironically with the filter popped out of the filter housing like I mentioned. This illustrates the need for the offset coupling as the filter will migrate out of the housing from engine torque/vibration without. The circled area with the ridges is the part that's supposed to be in the housing under the clamp, with the idea that the ridges help retain it in the housing.
Hood Vehicle Automotive design Car Motor vehicle

· Registered
22 Durango RT
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the detailed response. I think I'll just keep the stock air Intake. Wish there was just a tube from the stock air box to throttle body. I checked air raid but nothing is specified. I did something similar when I had my Challenger I used the charger tube.

· Registered
403 Posts
Thank you for the detailed response. I think I'll just keep the stock air Intake. Wish there was just a tube from the stock air box to throttle body. I checked air raid but nothing is specified. I did something similar when I had my Challenger I used the charger tube.
See this posting from the forum... good detail on using the stock air box with an updated intake tube eliminating the 'muffler'...

Getting rid of the intake muffler...AKA...

· Registered
56 Posts
I used an AEM drop in filter. I think I read it’s a 5% increase in airflow where an “intake” gives about 10%. Those things are so overpriced and basically just create a hassle without a tune. Hopefully that $60 will hold me over til I get a supercharger.

· Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
281 Posts
Keep in mind that regardless of the brand you go with, be sure to use one with a thermoplastic tube instead of a bright, shiny metal one. The object of a CAI is Cold Air, and metal tubes can heat soak much quicker, raising the incoming charge air temps, defeating its purpose. Also, one that seals poorly under hood will also allow in hot under hood heated air. I had good luck using a K&N on my '06 5.7 Daytona for the last 16+ years. Just wondering if anyone has used the K&N (either drop in or kit) on a later model RT Durango?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts