Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has happened twice in the last 2-3 months. At complete random, the steering wheel would violently shake. I mean VIOLENT. I’m talking full 1-2 inches of shaking left and right (not like a tire out of balance shake - more violent). In addition, there is a hard thumping sensation under the seat and it feels and sounds almost as if there’s a massive rock stuck in the grove of one of the tires. Both times I pull over, put the car in park, do a visual inspection, see nothing, and drive again. For unknown reasons when I put the car in park and start driving again, it goes away. There’s absolutely no predicting when it happens. Completely random. Both times were at highway speeds. I’m at a loss.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
967 Posts
Have your steering rack checked out. That resembles the Ford truck death shake which was only remedied with after-market steering stabilizers. Yours is likely a problem in the rack.

Reactions: Fibreman and Urbish

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thought. I’ll have that checked. Thank you!

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Durango
326 Posts
that ford problem won't happen with this steering rack as its electric rack and pinion....check fluid levels and possible leaks

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
419 Posts
I have an old Jeep that used to go into a 'death wobble' if you hit a bump just right at speeds above 30mph. I had a bad front kingpin bearing (equivalent of a modern day ball joint). After replacing it, I never had the issue again.

·
Registered
473 Posts
that ford problem won't happen with this steering rack as its electric rack and pinion....check fluid levels and possible leaks
Can't check for leaks on an electric system with no fluid...

1949 International KB2, 302/T5
1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T "SRT Design"
2016 Dodge Durango Limited

·
Registered
249 Posts
Depends on the year. They changed to electric in the 2016 models. 2015s or older have regular power steering pumps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bad tire possibly? Cords let loose? Had that happen on an old Corvette, felt like I was driving a clown car with square tires, happened all of a sudden with no warning.

·
Registered
'21 DD Tow N Go / ‘17 Viper ACR
316 Posts
Is by shaking you mean the feeling of bad tire balancing, or like more of a wobble? Maybe bad rack n pinion bushing? Is your steering straight? Can you hear a thump noise when you are no mooving, but turning your steering wheel from max left to max right?

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
414 Posts
My experience with this type of shaking is either one or both of the front struts are bad......called torque steer I think. I have had vehicles that would exhibit this when hitting bumps/irregularities in the road surface or when you hit the brakes.......but mostly when hitting bumps and such while driving.

I had to have the dealer replace one of my front struts when I bought my DDRT with 40,000 miles on it. While test driving it, I got some torque steer while driving over very slight irregularities in road surface. Once replaced, it all went away.

·
Registered
357 Posts
So this has happened twice in the last 2-3 months. At complete random, the steering wheel would violently shake. I mean VIOLENT. I’m talking full 1-2 inches of shaking left and right (not like a tire out of balance shake - more violent). In addition, there is a hard thumping sensation under the seat and it feels and sounds almost as if there’s a massive rock stuck in the grove of one of the tires. Both times I pull over, put the car in park, do a visual inspection, see nothing, and drive again. For unknown reasons when I put the car in park and start driving again, it goes away. There’s absolutely no predicting when it happens. Completely random. Both times were at highway speeds. I’m at a loss.
Hi drewby12,
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
2021 Durango SRT 392
26 Posts
I’m a retired mechanic and my suggestion is to put it up on a rack and then take the weight off the suspension and then start grabbing parts and shake them big time, could be rac & pinion bolts loose, strut supports to name just a few, wheel bearings or ball joints or tie rods will cause your car to vibrate violently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 2014 V6 has an electric pump with fluid the V8 has a standard pump .. you can see the large pump down by the rack on the V6 .. if so may be the answer as to why it resets

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm with Vegas - check EVERYTHING in the front end. Tires, too.

This is becoming a strange characteristic of worn out front end components on modern vehicles. Manufacturers have cut so many corners to save a nickel that these vehicles are on the ragged edge of killing us all. Remember the days when ball joints used to last 30 years? LONG gone, unfortunately. :mad:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine does it too randomly at higher speeds shakes for a bit then goes away, I have an app to get an alignment tomorrow and have them check all of the bushings and steering bolts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts