Dodge Durango Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Heat00 - I found a video for you on the Gibson AB w/Xpipe showing the sound both inside and out. This might be the sound you are looking for?

I had the Gibson AB with Magnaflow Y-pipe, reso delete on my V8 4Runner and the sound was deep and had zero drone years ago. As far as durability the Gibson lasted 10-years in the Northeast with no issues before I sold it.

Reactions: Heat00

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Heat00 - I found a video for you on the Gibson AB w/Xpipe showing the sound both inside and out. This might be the sound you are looking for?

I had the Gibson AB with Magnaflow Y-pipe on my V8 4Runner and the sound was deep and had zero drone years ago. As far as durability the Gibson lasted 10-years in the Northeast with no issues before I sold it.
nice.. yes that sounds good... but I imagine it's very loud with only x pipe and no other resonators? hmmm. maybe I start with gibson and leave mid, see how that goes, can always add x pipe later?

·
Registered
150 Posts
It didn't sound that loud to me in the video both out and in, but yes hearing it in person would be best to determine.

Reactions: Heat00

·
Registered
77 Posts
let me ask you, the Gibson axel back alone was not good? Not loud enough? I don't want what I did above on my other one, even though it sounds good, its too loud for me as I use the car for work all day every day and I cannot deal with anything if it's annoying lol
It was too loud. So I added the 2 resinators and it toned it down.. eliminating the drone and higher rpm rasp

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry for the questions I'm interested too, did you do Gibson with the H pipe or Gibson with the suitcase first.

·
Registered
77 Posts
1st thing I did was delete suitcase and add Hpipe. Same day. Leaving stock rear resinators.
A week later deleted rear resinator and added Gibson AB.
3 days after Gibson install, I added resinators close as I can to the Hpipe.

I still have my cats too. Can Thank Cali for that..👎🏼

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It was too loud. So I added the 2 resinators and it toned it down.. eliminating the drone and higher rpm rasp
ah i see now... so you went kind of reverse and never had just the gibson ab with the stock mid suitcase? that's what I was thinking to do first, then if not enough add the xpipe and resonators.... but I don't really know anymore, I'm just confused lol

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Sorry for the questions I'm interested too, did you do Gibson with the H pipe or Gibson with the suitcase first.
yea it's so hard to figure this out because what's "loud" to some sounds good to others lol.. I can tell you my setup above on my son's rt isn't for me. it's too loud and droney at low acceleration... if that makes any sense. that's why I was thinking to do the gibson ab first and leave the mid section... if that's not enough then move to an X pipe maybe with some good sized resonators like the vibrants but the ultra quiet ones... I also haven't ruled out just spending the $$ and getting the mopar exhaust, I'm just scared that might be too 'loud' as well but without hearing in person its such a gamble... i miss my scat packs LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
ah i see now... so you went kind of reverse and never had just the gibson ab with the stock mid suitcase? that's what I was thinking to do first, then if not enough add the xpipe and resonators.... but I don't really know anymore, I'm just confused lol
My thoughts..Suitcase needs to go if u add alxe backs. You would be putting 2 mufflers on. From what I have read suitcase is the muffler and the rears r the resinators.

·
Registered
77 Posts
yea it's so hard to figure this out because what's "loud" to some sounds good to others lol.. I can tell you my setup above on my son's rt isn't for me. it's too loud and droney at low acceleration... if that makes any sense. that's why I was thinking to do the gibson ab first and leave the mid section... if that's not enough then move to an X pipe maybe with some good sized resonators like the vibrants but the ultra quiet ones... I also haven't ruled out just spending the $$ and getting the mopar exhaust, I'm just scared that might be too 'loud' as well but without hearing in person its such a gamble... i miss my scat packs LOL
If this helps.. my wife is Realtor and she can't have a obnoxious car..lol it's mellow while cruising
I went with 14in resinators maybe go 18+.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
My thoughts..Suitcase needs to go if u add alxe backs. You would be putting 2 mufflers on. From what I have read suitcase is the muffler and the rears r the resinators.
Funny my exhaust shop said the opposite ... not sure why this is so confusing . Lol. If you’re right , and I don’t want to go crazy then maybe some vibrant resonators in back and call it a day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Is t there a way to confirm for sure what is the muffler and what is the resonator?

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT, 392 Hemi, Eibach Coils, 22" Hellcat Reps, Stainless Works 3" Exhaust, cat deleted
741 Posts
This thread has become EXHAUSTING!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Reactions: Tony H

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Tony couldn't resist.. 😂🤣

Suitcase is the muffler. Rears resinators
got it... and thank you! that helps me understand now... somewhat... on the scat packs we always replaced the mufflers and I never removed the resonators as I was told they are there to eliminate drone....makes sense... back to the drawing board lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
son's rt is done. it sounds really mean, great deep tone but it's definitely on the loud side... drone on the highway wasn't so bad but at lower speeds while accelerating it's quite loud. I might be too old to do the same to mine lol. I'll try and get up a clip of the start up and revs.

ran x pipe to vibrants to carven r's out back with 4" black tips.. he also used new 2.5" piping from the x pipe back. this shop does nice work.

View attachment 113011 View attachment 113012 View attachment 113013 View attachment 113014
Heat, is that you??! Durango sounds good!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Heat, is that you??! Durango sounds good!!
Yessir... how are you? Yea it sounds good and it’s perfect for a 17 year old but it’s too loud for me and I don’t know what to do with mine now lol. It’s like if I can’t get it sound like my scat pack I almost want to just leave it alone lol....

41 - 60 of 60 Posts