Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT, 392 Hemi, Eibach Coils, 22" Hellcat Reps, Stainless Works 3" Exhaust, cat deleted
741 Posts
Tony,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience... this is very helpful and I'm sorry for so many questions....
so if you did it all again you would get the gibsons? was it "loud" enough without having drone or being obnoxious? I think I'm down to the Gibsons axel back or the Carven's only which is basically an axel back I guess... and then if either of those is not enough I can always do the mid section later I suppose...
but it sounds like the gibsons alone might be just right!
Since then, I have come to appreciate having a full cat back, but if I were just doing axel back, I would get the Gibson again. Heres a video from 5 years ago of the the gibsons. I guess I have 2 YouTube channels now. LOL!

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT, 392 Hemi, Eibach Coils, 22" Hellcat Reps, Stainless Works 3" Exhaust, cat deleted
741 Posts
Check out this video on the latest set up I have.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes, I had the Gibson for a couple of years, then we got rear ended and it got bent up. Also the oem pipes were bent, so insurance paid me $420 for the Gibson and $1500 for the oem. So I got the Corsa with insurance money. I immediately missed the sound of the Gibson, and kinda regretted it. I wish I had gotten the Borla instead. The Gibsons got repurposed onto my son's Dakota RT. Gibsons were deep and loud, Corsa was quieter and very raspy.
Since then, I have come to appreciate having a full cat back, but if I were just doing axel back, I would get the Gibson again. Heres a video from 5 years ago of the the gibsons. I guess I have 2 YouTube channels now. LOL!
nice! that does sound just about perfect... If I go cat back maybe I'll go with the Mopar Performance one... that also sounds good in the videos and is a little less than the Corsa. how would you compare from Gibson to a full catback? so I guess based on your statement above, if you had a new RT today you would do a full catback again? assuming price is not an issue......is the catback a LOT louder than an axel back like the gibson?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Check out this video on the latest set up I have.
ok I see now.... yes it seems to be a much different sound with the full catback.... this one here sounds really good, seems like the perfect "volume" and "tone". I just don't like that I would have to wait so long lol.... I really don't know what to do... going to look to see if the Mopar exhaust is available quick and what the real price is...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
just listened to every youtube video out there lol... which now makes it worse haha...

love the borla S catback, the Mopar, even the corsa sounds good while under WOT although I think the mopar and borla sound a little deeper.. and the Stainles works sounds very good as well.

Now I'll never be able to decide haha... I'm leaning towards borla or mopar at the moment... might come to price and availability. both sound very good

·
Registered
235 Posts
The Gibson actually seems very nicely priced also.?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The Gibson actually seems very nicely priced also.?
Yes... just hard to know how it sounds in comparison to a cat back like the Mopar... it’s certainly a lot less expensive... I think it’s like 375$ or so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
As I ponder what to do with my exhaust, I think it's come down to 2 options:

1. just install the Carvens in to the rear and leave the mid section. very inexpensive and should add enough sound I think

2. just get the Mopar exhaust. problem is about $1500 and while I'm sure it will sound great, might be too loud for me for everyday driving.. although my scat was loud but sounded perfect.

btw, my exhaust shop I used informed me that the mid section that everyone here calls "mufflers" is actually the "resonator(s)" and the rear black ones are the actual "mufflers". makes sense because if you look at all of the cat back aftermarket systems, they all seem to have an x pipe and "resonators" in the mid section with true mufflers in the back. not that it matters but if I'm going to remove one I think removing the mufflers and installing high performance or louder mufflers is better than removing resonators which are there to eliminate drone and control tone?

my set up here on my son's car might be just too loud for me with too much drone for everyday use... I think lol.. haven't had a chance to really drive it any distance but this way if I install the carvens and it's not enough, i can then do something later in the mid section (carefully lol).... that's what's making this a tough decision because I don't want to start that way and then think, man I should have just put the Mopar cat back lol.....

·
Registered
2020 Durango R/T 5.7 V8 Octane Red Pearl, Volant CAI
25 Posts
Just a couple of questions as I've been reading every exhaust post and listening and am thoroughly confused on what I want.
So I met a guy this week that told me he left his mid/suitcase muffler or whatever you want to call it and went straight pipes the rest of the way back. It's his wife's 5.7L and he said no drone (daily driver). He's going to bring it to the next bike night so I can hear it. Don't think I recall seeing anyone ever do this or did I miss it? Curious on the sound and how loud.
Second, quite a number of people when changing exhaust like to put the tips extending past what stock looks like. My question... why? I actually prefer the exhaust tip to just meet the edge of the bumper. Not sure why you would want it sticking out past the edge of the bumper by an inch or more. Maybe I'm missing something. I get it if the name is on it but for me personally I don't really care if the name is showing, I just want a good sounding exhaust with slight performance benefits. Thanks

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just a couple of questions as I've been reading every exhaust post and listening and am thoroughly confused on what I want.
So I met a guy this week that told me he left his mid/suitcase muffler or whatever you want to call it and went straight pipes the rest of the way back. It's his wife's 5.7L and he said no drone (daily driver). He's going to bring it to the next bike night so I can hear it. Don't think I recall seeing anyone ever do this or did I miss it? Curious on the sound and how loud.
Second, quite a number of people when changing exhaust like to put the tips extending past what stock looks like. My question... why? I actually prefer the exhaust tip to just meet the edge of the bumper. Not sure why you would want it sticking out past the edge of the bumper by an inch or more. Maybe I'm missing something. I get it if the name is on it but for me personally I don't really care if the name is showing, I just want a good sounding exhaust with slight performance benefits. Thanks
I'm in the same boat but worry about straight pipe anywhere on a hemi... my son's with the new set up is loud, can't imagine if I removed the vibrants or carvens. I think sometimes it gets really high pitched or raspy when one of the two (rear muffler or mid resonator) is removed.. just my experience. On my daytona, I put mini race bullets which are basically straight pipe in the mid section and I heard in person mids removed on the charger and I did not really like that sound.. again, just my opinion and taste.

as for tips sticking out a bit. I agree it looks better more flush, the only thing my exhaust guy said that day is that it better to stick out a tiny bit so any debris coming out goes out past the bumper.. not sure that makes much sense but when I do mine I'm going to ask that they be more flush like you said..... that being said, I don't think my son's look bad... 4" black tip sticking out a tiny bit looks ok to me too

Reactions: FLDurango

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Btw, you in south florida by chance? I would love to hear as many exhaust options in person as I can lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts

1. just install the Carvens in to the rear and leave the mid section. very inexpensive and should add enough sound I think

2. just get the Mopar exhaust. problem is about $1500 and while I'm sure it will sound great, might be too loud for me for everyday driving.. although my scat was loud but sounded perfect.

btw, my exhaust shop I used informed me that the mid section that everyone here calls "mufflers" is actually the "resonator(s)" and the rear black ones are the actual "mufflers". makes sense because if you look at all of the cat back aftermarket systems, they all seem to have an x pipe and "resonators" in the mid section with true mufflers in the back. not that it matters but if I'm going to remove one I think removing the mufflers and installing high performance or louder mufflers is better than removing resonators which are there to eliminate drone and control tone?

my set up here on my son's car might be just too loud for me with too much drone for everyday use... I think lol.. haven't had a chance to really drive it any distance but this way if I install the carvens and it's not enough, i can then do something later in the mid section (carefully lol).... that's what's making this a tough decision because I don't want to start that way and then think, man I should have just put the Mopar cat back lol.....
R u looking for loud or just beastly?
My set up is H-Pipe to 2x 14in resinators then Gibson AB. 2020 RT Black top. It sounds amazing, no drone no rasp not too loud when cruising

You don't want too loud but u wanting it to sound like a beast?
I love my set up.. H-Pipe to 2 x14in resinators to Gibson ABs. Sounds amazing. Get compliments all the time. No drone no rasp. It's my wife's daily and she even likes it. Which is crazy!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My set up is H-Pipe to 2x 14in resinators then Gibson AB. 2020 RT Black top. It sounds amazing, no drone no rasp not too loud when cruising

I love my set up.. H-Pipe to 2 x14in resinators to Gibson ABs. Sounds amazing. Get compliments all the time. No drone no rasp. It's my wife's daily and she even likes it. Which is crazy!
thank you for sharing. your not the first person to suggest gibson. I might go that route and just start with the axel back and see if it's enough. if not, then I can tinker with the mid section later. it was down to gibson, vibrant 1790's and Carven R's. so hard to make these decisions. vibrants are so cheap and have always been just right, but the gibsons sound so deep and no rasp at all, then the carven's that are just mean from the day they were born lol.. I only hear the carven's on my son's rt but coupled with the x pipe and vibrants so I don't know what did what lol

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
[/QUOTE]

you got any sound clips by some chance? did they use the same size stock pipes? on my son's they used larger pipes and I think that didn't help with the drone...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Are u gonna delete the mid muffler? Here's my exhaust journey..
I 1st deleted mid muffler, did the Hpipe and left the rears stock (they r just resinators) that was a bad move! Horrible drone god awful Fartcan!
Contacted Gibson and picked up the Alxle backs. So now I have Hpipe to Gibson. Sounds was good. It was loud too loud for me and Def. For the wife. There was drone and it got raspy in the higher rpm. No go!
Went on Amazon bought 2 stainless steel 14in resinators and added them off the H. THts were I am today.. she's Beast! And the Afe intake I added today made it all that much better 😎👍🏻

·
Registered
77 Posts
you got any sound clips by some chance? did they use the same size stock pipes? on my son's they used larger pipes and I think that didn't help with the drone...
[/QUOTE]
Not sure how to do the clips.. I did use same stock size. Ca here.. need to have Cats so figured it might be pointless

·
Registered
235 Posts

View attachment 113102

Where's the second resonator?

Reactions: kevinski118

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
let me ask you, the Gibson axel back alone was not good? Not loud enough? I don't want what I did above on my other one, even though it sounds good, its too loud for me as I use the car for work all day every day and I cannot deal with anything if it's annoying lol

21 - 40 of 60 Posts