Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
son's rt is done. it sounds really mean, great deep tone but it's definitely on the loud side... drone on the highway wasn't so bad but at lower speeds while accelerating it's quite loud. I might be too old to do the same to mine lol. I'll try and get up a clip of the start up and revs.

ran x pipe to vibrants to carven r's out back with 4" black tips.. he also used new 2.5" piping from the x pipe back. this shop does nice work.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's pretty close to straight exhaust...those are small resonators and looks like even smaller mufflers.
yes I now know that as I drove home LOL... good news is that he loves it but I think it's too loud for me.

see if this works:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
probably could have gotten away with just doing one or the other... either the x pipe and vibrants in place of mid OR left that and just replaced the back mufflers with the Carven's... LOL... now we know

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
yes I now know that as I drove home LOL... good news is that he loves it but I think it's too loud for me.

see if this works:

Sounds pretty good there....I'd want to see how it sounds while riding next to him on highway.
There is a Scatpack owner in my neighborhood and I have no idea what he did to the exhaust but when he comes by my house I can hear it in 4 banger mode and it sounds like an old Honda with a fart can attached.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Look into something called J-pipes, or 1/4 Resonance tubes.
They will almost completely eliminate the cabin drone.
I've designed them for a couple vehicles with absolutely astounding results.

Reactions: Sykadelick

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds pretty good there....I'd want to see how it sounds while riding next to him on highway.
There is a Scatpack owner in my neighborhood and I have no idea what he did to the exhaust but when he comes by my house I can hear it in 4 banger mode and it sounds like an old Honda with a fart can attached.
All my scat packs sounded great and 4 mode rarely came on . Even the ones I tinkered with . I do agree on 4 mode it doesn’t sound great in Durango but that’s an easy fix just turn it off or press the gas. On the highway it was actually fine it was lower speeds accelerating where it seemed too loud.. for me. He’s driving now and said it couldn’t be better lol so I guess I’ll leave it be but I’m not doing same setup on mine I don’t think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chase300

·
Registered
226 Posts
Looks really clean! I might start with the x-Pipe and vibrants to start and see what it sounds like.

Reactions: ZPirate and Heat00

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks really clean! I might start with the x-Pipe and vibrants to start and see what it sounds like.
I was just thinking the same for mine lol. I’ll drive it again tonight to see.

My son just texted me I asked if it’s too loud and he laughed and said I should do the same lol.

But, I think you’re right, to do half of this and see if it’s enough. Can always add more later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZPirate

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
or the reverse, leave the mid section and just replace the rear with the Carven R's... this is what I can't figure out LOL....

I just took it for a spin now and it does sound mean... it's just a couple notches too loud for me I think. I still have to work from my car, making calls etc so it gets dicey when too loud lol

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in thinking about it again... if I did it again with this setup, I'd probably use the ultra quiet vibrants I think they are 1140's or something like that.. would probably help turn it down a notch or two and then close to perfect lol....

Now I don't know what to do with mine haha.... I might just bite the bullet and order the catback Corsa... just that price tag is hard to swallow...

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT, 392 Hemi, Eibach Coils, 22" Hellcat Reps, Stainless Works 3" Exhaust, cat deleted
732 Posts
in thinking about it again... if I did it again with this setup, I'd probably use the ultra quiet vibrants I think they are 1140's or something like that.. would probably help turn it down a notch or two and then close to perfect lol....

Now I don't know what to do with mine haha.... I might just bite the bullet and order the catback Corsa... just that price tag is hard to swallow...
IMO, the Corsa ia too quiet. The Gibson axel back is affordable and has a lower tone and just loud enough. Stainless Works Legends sound is great too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Corsa is super quiet in the cabin. Sounds much better to everyone else.

Reactions: Heat00

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMO, the Corsa ia too quiet. The Gibson axel back is affordable and has a lower tone and just loud enough. Stainless Works Legends sound is great too.
Hi Tony, thanks for the insight.

Maybe the Gibson is the way to go then... I was thinking maybe to leave the mid section (like the gibson I imagine) and just do my own axel back with the carven r's... probably similar results.

I want more like my scat pack which was farily quiet when not on the throttle hard but then perfect when accelerating hard... my son's came out kind of the reverse, it's loud when at low speed or rpms and not as much when at WOT. for him its great but I thought maybe the Corsa was more in line with that I'm looking for. I want more of the T&G type sound or SRT sound. I wonder your thoughts on the Mopar exahust? might that be better than the Corsa. the Stainless works I see now sounds good but has a 12 week build time so that's not an option either lol.

exhaust is always so complicated. I'm going to look now at the Gibson. if it's axel back I assume the mid section stays as is right and then its basically just replacing the rear mufflers or whatever those are?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i did drive his again for a few minutes last night... it does sound really good. the overal tone is really great... I just worry since I drive 10 times more than him and use the car for work that it could be too much lol...

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT, 392 Hemi, Eibach Coils, 22" Hellcat Reps, Stainless Works 3" Exhaust, cat deleted
732 Posts
Hi Tony, thanks for the insight.

Maybe the Gibson is the way to go then... I was thinking maybe to leave the mid section (like the gibson I imagine) and just do my own axel back with the carven r's... probably similar results.

I want more like my scat pack which was farily quiet when not on the throttle hard but then perfect when accelerating hard... my son's came out kind of the reverse, it's loud when at low speed or rpms and not as much when at WOT. for him its great but I thought maybe the Corsa was more in line with that I'm looking for. I want more of the T&G type sound or SRT sound. I wonder your thoughts on the Mopar exahust? might that be better than the Corsa. the Stainless works I see now sounds good but has a 12 week build time so that's not an option either lol.

exhaust is always so complicated. I'm going to look now at the Gibson. if it's axel back I assume the mid section stays as is right and then its basically just replacing the rear mufflers or whatever those are?
The gibsons are pretty good for the money. The suitcase mid muffler does stay in place, but you could change that in the future if you want to go full obnoxious. Stainless Works told me 8-12 week when I called... but son of a b!%@h, it was delivered in a week. I have not heard the Mopar in person, but I've heard it's comparable to the Corsa. Corsa is to quite on the outside too.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I know what I might try.. theres a few combinations...

perhaps just the Carven R's to replace the rears and see if that's enough... lol if not, perhaps I'll do the mid section too and install the x pipe but then use the ultra quiet vibrants instead of the loud ones.. just not sure how much difference that will make.

Or, maybe get a quieter muffler like a magnaflow competition and the quiet vibrants... I had the competition MF's on my challenger and the tone was the best I've ever heard but it was too quiet so they came off and then I installed vibrant 1794's... I wish I had kept them as I think they're the same lol...

these vibrants and carvens are both very short and basically straight through... I know I'm overthinking this but I hate mistakes on exhaust lol

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The gibsons are pretty good for the money. The suitcase mid muffler does stay in place, but you could change that in the future if you want to go full obnoxious. Stainless Works told me 8-12 week when I called... but son of a b!%@h, it was delivered in a week.
yea I just actually posted about doing just the back first.. with the gibson maybe or just the Carven R's.... Have you had or heard this setup in person by chance? I do love my son's sound but man it's just a bit too much for me as I'm getting old and after 4 scat packs, I'm kind of getting used to the quietness LOL

·
Registered
732 Posts
yea I just actually posted about doing just the back first.. with the gibson maybe or just the Carven R's.... Have you had or heard this setup in person by chance? I do love my son's sound but man it's just a bit too much for me as I'm getting old and after 4 scat packs, I'm kind of getting used to the quietness LOL
Yes, I had the Gibson for a couple of years, then we got rear ended and it got bent up. Also the oem pipes were bent, so insurance paid me $420 for the Gibson and $1500 for the oem. So I got the Corsa with insurance money. I immediately missed the sound of the Gibson, and kinda regretted it. I wish I had gotten the Borla instead. The Gibsons got repurposed onto my son's Dakota RT. Gibsons were deep and loud, Corsa was quieter and very raspy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tony,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience... this is very helpful and I'm sorry for so many questions....
so if you did it all again you would get the gibsons? was it "loud" enough without having drone or being obnoxious? I think I'm down to the Gibsons axel back or the Carven's only which is basically an axel back I guess... and then if either of those is not enough I can always do the mid section later I suppose...
but it sounds like the gibsons alone might be just right!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts