Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a family vacation to Florida. Drove our Durango(5.7L) from our home just east of Peoria IL to Palm Coast FL. On the way down I drove it in 2 days. Got to FL about 4pm last Saturday. Here’s info from that:
C40A669A-FE3E-41B3-8E40-163038E0741F.jpeg

On the way back I drove it straight through. We actually left yesterday afternoon and I drove through the night. Got back home about 7:20am today. It was very cool and windy there yesterday so wasn’t good for swimming or beach so we just left a few hours before we planned to. Here’s info from that:
4C038D50-3111-4424-94E6-B69D4BAD9438.jpeg

Fuel mileage was much worse. But it was windy driving back and it was also about 35 the whole way. That probably impacted it. Cruise was set on 80 on the way home, 79 on way there. I took a couple different detours each way to go around wrecks and traffic, but distance stayed real close.
I slept about 3 hours this morning after we got back, and then this evening I hand washed the Durango. Will wax it over the next couple days. We had a great trip. This a very nice area to visit. The Durango is a great family cruiser. It did well outside of issues with my uconnect that I’ll have to post about in another post. One final thought, I’ve never seen truck drivers be so bad about driving side by side with each other on 2 lanes interstate. Man that’s frustrating. They pull out to pass each other and it takes 2-3 minutes to get around and they back up traffic forever. Just frustrates me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Durango is a great family cruiser.
It really is. We did that run last year with our ‘20, starting a couple of hours north of you to Venice. Drove it straight through, 21 hours, 9 minutes. With the 3.6 we averaged 25.1 MPG and 62 MPH, and a slight bit better on the return trip, both in time and MPG.

Love this thing.

2021 Durango Citadel AWD, 3.6

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thank you for coming down to Florida and supporting our economy. A lot of Florida businesses are hurting over the reduced travel. Really hurts that the USA/Canada border is still closed.

I make the Jacksonville, Florida to Hoopeston, Illinois (North of Danville ... East of Champagne) run from time to time. But I haven't made the trip in our Durango R/T.

Our last trip in the Durango R/T was in 2019 when we traveled almost 1,800 miles from Jacksonville to Blowing Rock, NC and back. I was very impressed to average 25.2 mpg. I think it helped that we spent a lot of time on the Blue Ridge Parkway cruising at about 45mph. Also helped that we stayed off of the interstate for the most part and ran 65 - 75 on US Highways.

By comparison ...my trips up and down I-95 at 79ish mph usually give me 21-22 mpg.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seemed to be pretty busy down there. The rental community we were in there in palm coast had a lot of renters and when we went to St Augustine it was packed and a couple times we went down to Flagler beach to eat and it was super crazy. But yes I was glad to be able to take my family down for the nice weather, the beach experience, and the freedom. Been so locked down here in Illinois it was nice to go somewhere else.

·
Registered
642 Posts
We just completed a IL to FL trip too with our new truck. Significantly worse mpg then you, but spent most of the trip towing 7k

C4658437-3DE5-4617-9EA4-6376DE855924.png

6C725DB9-3512-4BB5-80F2-8AA795D69F45.png

·
Registered
577 Posts
too bad none of you kept going further to where I'm at lol... basically the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
too bad none of you kept going further to where I'm at lol... basically the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area
Would love to get down there someday. Furthest south I’ve been is Port St. Lucie. Made it there one day when we were staying in ft pierce last year.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
901 Posts
Took a family vacation to Florida. Drove our Durango(5.7L) from our home just east of Peoria IL to Palm Coast FL. On the way down I drove it in 2 days. Got to FL about 4pm last Saturday. Here’s info from that:
View attachment 114550
On the way back I drove it straight through. We actually left yesterday afternoon and I drove through the night. Got back home about 7:20am today. It was very cool and windy there yesterday so wasn’t good for swimming or beach so we just left a few hours before we planned to. Here’s info from that:
View attachment 114551
Fuel mileage was much worse. But it was windy driving back and it was also about 35 the whole way. That probably impacted it. Cruise was set on 80 on the way home, 79 on way there. I took a couple different detours each way to go around wrecks and traffic, but distance stayed real close.
I slept about 3 hours this morning after we got back, and then this evening I hand washed the Durango. Will wax it over the next couple days. We had a great trip. This a very nice area to visit. The Durango is a great family cruiser. It did well outside of issues with my uconnect that I’ll have to post about in another post. One final thought, I’ve never seen truck drivers be so bad about driving side by side with each other on 2 lanes interstate. Man that’s frustrating. They pull out to pass each other and it takes 2-3 minutes to get around and they back up traffic forever. Just frustrates me.
First off, the truck drivers...that was probably while you were on I-75 south of Atlanta. They're awful down here. Always trying to pass each other in the left lane.
Second, that fuel economy is terrible. Not sure what year model that is, but my 14 RT would get 23-25 mpg on long road trips when it was still under 100k, depending on the fuel. 25 mpg on non ethanol. That was wit 6 passengers and luggage and average speed was 75-80.
It consistantly gets 19 mpg with the 6.4 now... that is with my wife driving. LOL!
About 15 when I'm behind the wheel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
View attachment 114550
View attachment 114551
I am about 30-35 miles north of Orlando and yes the weather has been weird this year. We had some cold weather then it got really hot early then the next morning was cold again. When I say cold, that’s anything below 60 :). Sorry, I remember cold up north and then how nice it was in Florida, I have been a resident for about 30 some years now and your body just becomes accustomed to the heat.
As for the truckers, I don’t know if they are just younger and in a hurry or just getting pushed to do more like many businesses have been doing but they do hog the roadway sometimes and you really need a lot of patience on the road.

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
261 Posts
That MPG seems pretty normal to me, and also confirms that my DD still runs pretty good being a 2013 with 161+K miles on the clock because I can still get that same MPG.

Against the wind is why your MPG went down on the way back home for sure. Plus we all know that going 65 will net better MPG than going 80. The old adage of "55 saves lives and gas" is a real thing......except that if you go 55 today anywhere but your driveway you'll get your ass run over by grandma in her Kia.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off, the truck drivers...that was probably while you were on I-75 south of Atlanta. They're awful down here. Always trying to pass each other in the left lane.
Second, that fuel economy is terrible. Not sure what year model that is, but my 14 RT would get 23-25 mpg on long road trips when it was still under 100k, depending on the fuel. 25 mpg on non ethanol. That was wit 6 passengers and luggage and average speed was 75-80.
It consistantly gets 19 mpg with the 6.4 now... that is with my wife driving. LOL!
About 15 when I'm behind the wheel.
It is a 2018 citadel with the Hemi. Yeah I wasn’t greatly pleased with the mileage. Last year when we made the trip to Fort Pierce FL it averaged 21.7 on the long runs. I was good with that. Even the mid twenties it showed on way there this time was ok. I do think the colder weather on the way back and the wind really hurt the mileage on the return trip. On a related note, I do drive this thing hard. I can’t help it. It is so fun to put your toe into but I was just thinking the other day I plan on us having this Durango for a long time and I shouldn’t get into it so hard all the time. Pretty much anytime I accelerate up to 50 or 60 I always see 3500-3600 on the tac, with my F150 I hardly ever break 3,000 unless I’m trying to make the exhaust cackle. But my truck is a 2004 with the 5.4 and they are not known for their quickness off the line haha. Anyway I run good synthetic oil in the Durango and change it way before mileage indicates I should, so it should be fine. I did notice on way back on this trip when I stopped to pee one time (I just pulled off the interstate on an exit ramp and peed by the car) that the hemi tick was more pronounced than I usually hear it. But I have read it is worse at hot idle and after being ran for basically 16 hours straight that would constitute hot idle. Anyway, I’m going to switch it to redline oil on the next oil change, I have read from a lot of guys online that it quieted the tick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did my first NY to FL drive 2 months ago, and spent 3 weeks in Cape Coral (and 5 nights near Orlando). Got about 24MPG, though only about 21-22MPG on the first tank of gas out of NY due to inclement weather. 3 passengers + 60lb dog, with the Durango pretty packed up.

Our normal summer roadtrip is about 21-23 MPG, NY to North Myrtle Beach (750-800 miles), with an extra passenger and a Thule roof box, and have done that in a DD since 2014 (we didn't go one year, perhaps 2018 due to some other family obligations). In 2012/2013 we did it in a MB GL450, which many of you know was built on largely the same platform as the DD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts