Dodge Durango Forum banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Durango GTplus AWD
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Does it get into 8th gear? Are you watching the tach to see if it consistently shifts at the same RPM? Even if there is no code thrown you should have the dealer check for any that might be stored. There is certainly something wrong. As asked before, do you reset your MPG at each fill up? Are you calculating the mileage manually as well to verify if the car does it accurately?
It gets into 8th gear. I just topped it off, took a highway run, calculated after topping off again, at same pump. Its exactly what the comp is showing. I also have 40pounds in the tires.

·
Registered
515 Posts
that is odd as my r/t averages 14.5-15.5.. although my son's r/t averages 12 lol....

that being said, before the durangos my scat pack averaged about 16 and my son's gt v6 charger did worse, I would attribute half of it to having the 4 cylinder mode and the other half being he was 16 lol...

but yes, I think 12 in a v6 durango is well below what most people are seeing.

Reactions: hamada128

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm towing my fat ass. 170 pounds, that's it. I'm not kidding. Just did another highway run, a whopping 17mpg at 60MPH.
Got ya beat here on the hauling weight ;)
Seriously though, something isn't right. If it were mine, I'd take it to the dealer, or our family mechanic with a good reader, and see if there are any underlying codes that my puny Bosh reader can't detect.. Because that's at least 5MPG worse than I'm getting with the same vehicle. It can't all be "driving style" for instance. It's surely a plugged air filter coupled with fouled o2 sensor or something.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,840 Posts
My 2014 JGC V6 will easily get 26-28 mpg highway at 60 mph. And that's with my Quadra-Trac II 4x4 System in Auto.

Quadea-Trac II 4x4 System.JPG

You need to get to the dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Something is definitely causing a problem with the OP’s vehicle. If it is not throwing any codes, something is either binding or dragging. He has tried increasing his tire pressure with negative results. A relatively inexpensive thing to check would be the alignment. One or more of the wheels could be scuffing causing a drop in mileage. The alignment doesn’t have to pull to one side to be off and may feel ok, but still be off. On every single one of my Chrysler, FCA or whatever they are calling themselves, the alignment has been off from the factory and I am not talking a little bit. If the vehicle is new, the dealership may check the alignment at no cost. Finally, when I get an alignment, I tell them to spec and not just in the green. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2021 Durango GTplus AWD
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So everyone keeps saying get to the dealer. Well i did yesterday. Nothing wrong, nothing dragging. He's claiming some engines just get worse than others. I understand some variances, but this is ridiculous. I expected this mileage from the R/T.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
267 Posts
Time to enlist Dodge Cares. If this continues without a resolution from Dodge you could have a lemon law case.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Time to enlist Dodge Cares. If this continues without a resolution from Dodge you could have a lemon law case.
I agree, it's time to call the boss. This mileage is NOT normal and totally unacceptable from a Pentastar with the ZF 8HP transmission by at least 5MPG.
That dealer is "inaccurate" (yes, I politely / publicly am calling him out as a liar).
How long have you had your DD?

·
Registered
2021 Durango GTplus AWD
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I agree, it's time to call the boss. This mileage is NOT normal and totally unacceptable from a Pentastar with the ZF 8HP transmission by at least 5MPG.
That dealer is "inaccurate" (yes, I politely / publicly am calling him out as a liar).
How long have you had your DD?
I have had it a week now. I find it hard to believe I would get a resolution for a mpg issue.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have had it a week now. I find it hard to believe I would get a resolution for a mpg issue.
If it's only a week, if could be that it needs to break in. The engine is still new and the clearances are still really tight. I'd give it some time.

1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

·
Registered
70 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't even look at gas mileage until I got thru the break in period. If I recall correctly, there is a 500 mile moratorium on towing, so I'd probably use that if not 1,000 or even 1,500 miles as my milestone. In fact, I would probably give it until Spring when the temperatures are consistently above freezing. After that, if you are still reading 5 mpg low, there might be an issue. But until then, I'd probably chalk it up to a combination of weather and the drivetrain not being broken in.

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,175 Posts
It may not be a bad idea to wait a little longer, but I'm not convinced there isn't something going on. I took a look at my spreadsheet - for the first 2K miles I had my Durango (2014, V-6, AWD) my MPG numbers were 21.4, 21.3, 19.0, 20.3, and 20.1. The first couple were mostly highway miles, but the others were around town. They replaced the engine last October (Lifetime MaxCare for the win!) and the first 2K gave me MPG numbers of 17.3, 18.0, 20.5, 23.2, 22.5, 18.6, with those three middle ones mostly highway miles. Even for a new engine, his sound very low.

·
Registered
2021 Durango GTplus AWD
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Looking at the instant MPG, cruising flat @60 MPH, i cant ever get above the the 20. I will give it time to break in, but i wouldn't expect more than a 1mpg higher.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got my 21’ SXT plus in December ‘20. I was averaging about 20mpg for the first couple thousand miles. I am now getting about 21.5 50/50 driving. I just turned 6k. I would wait until 2-3k and then bring in for oil change and have dealer run diagnostic on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a v6 Durango and it gets fantastic mileage. I have owned 3 JGC v6's (basically the same vehicle) that also got great mpg. They are of course lower in the winter, with winter gas, and with stop and go driving. Pure hwy in warm weather I can easily get 26+ hwy. Average of 23 in a mixed trip. 20 or less in the city.

YOUR Durango sounds like it is getting bad mileage...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does the V6 recommend higher grade fuel like the HEMI? I only run 89 in my HEMI per the owners manual. Not sure if higher octane fuel is recommended in the V6?

2020 R/T AWD Blacktop

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,175 Posts
Does the V6 recommend higher grade fuel like the HEMI? I only run 89 in my HEMI per the owners manual. Not sure if higher octane fuel is recommended in the V6?
I don't know if it has changed, but my 2014 V-6 calls for regular/87 octane.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a v6 Durango and it gets fantastic mileage. I have owned 3 JGC v6's (basically the same vehicle) that also got great mpg. They are of course lower in the winter, with winter gas, and with stop and go driving. Pure hwy in warm weather I can easily get 26+ hwy. Average of 23 in a mixed trip. 20 or less in the city.

YOUR Durango sounds like it is getting bad mileage...
What is winter gas?

41 - 60 of 112 Posts