Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do about 70 percent city and 30 percent highway. Lately with sub zero temps we’ve been letting it warm up a bit as they sure like to clatter when it’s cold. We are currently averaging 13.5 MPG. Which is still better than yours and it’s a Hemi. So something isn’t quite right.

2020 R/T AWD Blacktop

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
BU:
Yes, that rings a bell. . Would be helpful if folks would fill in their signature lines like many of us have, so the pertinent info is right there with every post. I don't recall where he's from. If he lives someplace like I do in SW Ohio, the reformulated crap fuel for winter will certainly affect mpg. I would agree that 12-13 mpg does seem low. My '04 5.7 runs 12-13 around town.

Don

Reactions: GTSDart340

·
Registered
215 Posts
BU:
Yes, that rings a bell. . Would be helpful if folks would fill in their signature lines like many of us have, so the pertinent info is right there with every post. I don't recall where he's from. If he lives someplace like I do in SW Ohio, the reformulated crap fuel for winter will certainly affect mpg. I would agree that 12-13 mpg does seem low. My '04 5.7 runs 12-13 around town.

Don
My 06 Magnum R/T gets 16. I'm very heavy on the throttle and do a LOT of idling picking up my kids from school. Maybe reset the gauge on the dash. Maybe it's still calculating time in the factory idling?

1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Registered
184 Posts
He's not worth bothering with if he can't answer simple questions. Move along. Nothing to see here.
Lets not discourage the fella, but we do need a lot more info. Where I live, the suburbs are only slightly less stop and go than metro area. The time of day is also a factor based on rush hour or light traffic. I leave for work at 430AM and there are few cars on the road. If I time it right, I only hit one or two stop lights out of 12-15 in an 5 mile stretch. But in the afternoon, I will almost certainly hit at least half of them if not all of them. If I take county roads, there are a few roundabouts, but there are really only 5 stops total.

I am running a 2005 SLT 5.7 and I was getting about 15 average (14 in winter and up to 16 in the summer), but I replaced my clutch fan with electric and I pretty much get 16-17 all the time now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do around 70% freeway/30% city and average between 19-20. If I'm all freeway (70-80 mph) I'm at 25mpg easy.

2014 V6 AWD Limited w/ 142k miles.

·
Registered
120 Posts
He's not worth bothering with if he can't answer simple questions. Move along. Nothing to see here.
Right. Seems like he just wanted to rant and then left.

Reactions: NitricWave

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the same issue with my 'Rango when I bought it. I don't remember how long it took for things to even out but it was a bit. I think it's a combination of breaking the engine in and the computer getting settled and calculating your overall MPG. Right now in the wonderful Chicago winters my MPG drops significantly due to using remote start often. I drive like a grandma in ECO mode as well.

·
Registered
2021 Durango GTplus AWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks, you know, sleep and work get in the way sometimes. Appreciate the help. I just did a highway trip of 20 miles at 65. Just got 17mpg. It's pathetic.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks, you know, sleep and work get in the way sometimes. Appreciate the help.
But when simple questions are asked and the response gives no information ("same as the explorer." What does that mean?) You can't really expect much help.

Reactions: Mr. G and DuRonbo

·
Registered
2021 Durango GTplus AWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
But when simple questions are asked and the response gives no information ("same as the explorer." What does that mean?) You can't really expect much help.

I did answer. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match. It is what it is, just disappointed how much worse it is than the explorer.

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,174 Posts
I just did a highway trip of 20 miles at 65. Just got 17mpg.
How are you tracking mileage? I have a 2014 Limited, V-6 AWD - overall, I've averaged 19.8 mpg over 177K miles and almost 7 years. That's about a 55% highway miles. If I have a full tank of highway-only travel, it will be 23-24mpg, if it is strictly around town, I'm closer to 18mpg. I fill up every time and track mileage, I don't rely on the EVIC display, it's usually one or two mpg off from my hand calculations. If you are really getting 17mpg on the highway and 12-13 around town, something is wrong - either there is a problem with the vehicle, you are letting it sit idling for extended periods, or something else is going on.

·
Registered
730 Posts
How are you tracking mileage? I have a 2014 Limited, V-6 AWD - overall, I've averaged 19.8 mpg over 177K miles and almost 7 years. That's about a 55% highway miles. If I have a full tank of highway-only travel, it will be 23-24mpg, if it is strictly around town, I'm closer to 18mpg. I fill up every time and track mileage, I don't rely on the EVIC display, it's usually one or two mpg off from my hand calculations. If you are really getting 17mpg on the highway and 12-13 around town, something is wrong - either there is a problem with the vehicle, you are letting it sit idling for extended periods, or something else is going on.
That is just about exactly the same as I get with my '14 Limited V6 AWD.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Like I said, averaging 40mph. The Durango claims 1 mpg HIGHER city and highway than the Explorer, and I'm getting 5MPG LESS.
Wow!! What are you towing? A house? I get 20MPG city and 27MPG highway and those are averages. (2017 3.6L V6)
Something is broken, like a fuel line? What is your average hauling weight?

·
Registered
2021 Durango GTplus AWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Wow!! What are you towing? A house? I get 20MPG city and 27MPG highway and those are averages. (2017 3.6L V6)
Something is broken, like a fuel line? What is your average hauling weight?
I'm towing my fat ass. 170 pounds, that's it. I'm not kidding. Just did another highway run, a whopping 17mpg at 60MPH.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
248 Posts
Does it get into 8th gear? Are you watching the tach to see if it consistently shifts at the same RPM? Even if there is no code thrown you should have the dealer check for any that might be stored. There is certainly something wrong. As asked before, do you reset your MPG at each fill up? Are you calculating the mileage manually as well to verify if the car does it accurately?

21 - 40 of 83 Posts