Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Durango GTplus AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my v6 explorer was averaging 18 mpg. The Durango??? A paltry 12 mpg. I seriously don't get it? Am I missing something? I expected this from an R/T. Not a GT with a v6

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,832 Posts
What are your driving habits? Percentage of City driving vs Highway driving? Average speeds?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You didn't answer my questions! So what type of driving did your Explorer do? Mainly City? Mainly Highway? LOL!

NM

Reactions: IvoryHemi

·
Registered
2021 Durango GTplus AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't answer my questions! So what type of driving did your Explorer do? Mainly City? Mainly Highway? LOL!

NM
Same exact driving habits. Average 40mph. Combination of Highway, and Suburban driving. No city.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
What's the difference between your definition of "Suburban" and "City" driving. Just trying to get a handle on this!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'm guessing Suburban=City? As in below 50 mph stop and Go?

·
Registered
2021 Durango GTplus AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing Suburban=City? As in below 50 mph stop and Go?
Like I said, averaging 40mph. The Durango claims 1 mpg HIGHER city and highway than the Explorer, and I'm getting 5MPG LESS.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'll let others that are obviously more knowledgeable on this subject take over! Carry on!

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Are you hand calculating the MPG or going by the on-board system? No way it should be that much drop from an Explorer...if any at all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You got brand new. Is there a break in period for the new engine and the mileage gets a bit better after that? I don’t know I’ve never had a new engine lol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Are you using the auto start and letting it idle before driving?

1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

Reactions: Maelstrom619

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
SZ:
What is the year, and mileage of your Durango? For one thing, the Durango is heavier than the Explorer. What year was the Explorer, and was it FWD or AWD? You have to help us, help you.

Don

·
Registered
372 Posts
Are you using the auto start and letting it idle before driving?

Yes I was going to say if you’re letting it idle a lot to warm up it will really bring the mileage down, and cold weather in general brings mileage down.

·
Registered
2021 Durango GTplus AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As stated, every scenerio is exactly the same as the explorer and durango. The Durango is a pig with gas. So disappointed. Also the weight is within 100pounds, so that's a moot point.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well all I can say is it surely will get better. I’d do a hand calculation to make sure your computer is calculating close to real mileage. We had a 2012 Durango citadel with the 3.6 before our 5.7 and it got way better mileage than that, and that didn’t have the 8 speed transmission.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Our 2016 Limited V6 averaged 19.5MPG, mostly rural, no city. There's definitely something going on with 12MPG.
My wife does very little other than short trips and gets 16. something's definitely up. What year Durango? Mileage? Does it need a tune up? Plugged air filter?

Reactions: Maelstrom619

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Well:
The GT model came out for the '17 model year. We don't know the year, if it's new or was used, and how many miles are on it? We also don't know the OP's driving style. Kind of hard to do much with the OP's question, when the info given is very limited.

Don

1 - 20 of 85 Posts