Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
A few answers from experience running the trackhawk wheels (20 x 10) on my 2020 R/T. My setup is not staggered so I have 20 x 10 (+50 offset) all round and I am running 295/45R20 Toyo Proxes tires,

Hi friends,

I am considering scooping up a set of Trackhawk rims for a steal of a good deal and throwing them on my R/T Durango for summer city driving.
Has anyone tried this?

The specs are in the subject line:
315/35 R20 with 5 x 127 bolt pattern

Will they work?
The 315 width tires will probably not work on the front wheels with an R/T, when the 295 width tires are mounted on the front there is about 7mm (1/4") between the steering knuckle upright member and inside of the tire at the top most position (closest point at 12 o clock on the tire). Adding another 10mm each side with the same offset rims will probably cause rubbing on the front, the rear will clear with 315 widths as there is a bunch more clearance on the inside to the rear suspension. Note that the 7mm is not a concern as the tire does not flex or move at the top of the tire (12 o clock position) and this is the same on the Jeep SRT.

I’ve had OEM trackhawk wheels on my R/T for over 3 years now and have no alignment/steering/tire wear issues. I’m running Pirelli Scorpion Verde’s 285/50/R20. On the R/T factory suspension the 50 height fills the wheel well better than a 45‘s and the 285’s don’t stick too far past the fenders.
Totally agree with PingreeGrove there is no alignment adjustment necessary with changing to wider tires and wider rims unless you are changing the wheel offset drastically, the standard factory wheel has a 56.4mm offset and the Trackhawk wheel has a 50mm offset this subtle change will not impact the suspension geometry. If for example you are making a drastic change say going from -10mm to +30 offset as example where you are spacing the wheels to the outside then yes you could probably consider an alignment. As for toe adjustment with the wider wheels, my R/T tracks the same and drives without vibration on the steering wheel lie the first day when I bought it no adjustment needed.

As for the wider tires kicking up more debris yes this is a factor but not a huge one, I installed ZL1 mudflaps (rock guards) for the standard R/T and they are working just fine at protecting all the paint work and trailer when towing. Some members who have made this conversion have made their own mudflaps for their R/T which are wider than the ZL1 mudflaps and that has even more coverage.

You can search these forums and you will find many members have made this upgrade as well as the bigger brake (Brembo) upgrades to their R/T DD. This is a common upgrade and is well worth the investment if you are looking for a more robust look, better traction and overall handling of your R/T.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
'19 RT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
The 315 width tires will probably not work on the front wheels with an R/T, when the 295 width tires are mounted on the front there is about 7mm (1/4") between the steering knuckle upright member and inside of the tire at the top most position (closest point at 12 o clock on the tire). Adding another 10mm each side with the same offset rims will probably cause rubbing on the front, the rear will clear with 315 widths as there is a bunch more clearance on the inside to the rear suspension. Note that the 7mm is not a concern as the tire does not flex or move at the top of the tire (12 o clock position) and this is the same on the Jeep SRT.

You can search these forums and you will find many members have made this upgrade as well as the bigger brake (Brembo) upgrades to their R/T DD. This is a common upgrade and is well worth the investment if you are looking for a more robust look, better traction and overall handling of your R/T.

I hope this helps.
Hey thanks for taking the time to respond with all the valuable info! There is some great stuff in there.

Just to clarify, I planned on running a 275 front and 315 rear tire with the OEM trackhawk rims.

With respect to the Brembo's conversation, I have a line on some Trackhawk Brembo's. Is there any reason they would not work on the 2019 DDRT? Most people who have done the brake upgrades on this forum, from what I have read have purchased new Brembo's.

·
Registered
2021 Durango RT
17 Posts
I’ve had OEM trackhawk wheels on my R/T for over 3 years now and have no alignment/steering/tire wear issues. I’m running Pirelli Scorpion Verde’s 285/50/R20. On the R/T factory suspension the 50 height fills the wheel well better than a 45‘s and the 285’s don’t stick too far past the fenders.
What rim size are you running?

·
Registered
2021 Durango RT
17 Posts
I think the track hawks are 20 x 10s, if I'm not mistaken..
I just purchased a set of the Trackhawk reps, 20X9, offset is 34. I'm still going to run 265/50/20, at least for now and may move to wider rubber later. I'm also looking into the Brembo Brakes, with an offset of 34, they should fit just fine. Anyone know where I can find them? Thx.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts