Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

Just got my new 2014 Durango and noticed that I can play movies from USB sticks and SD cards. I was testing this out and noticed that it didn't play a standard .avi file, so does anyone know which formats it will play? I'm guessing they'll need to be standard DVD files (.vob) and the drive may possibly need to be formatted with FAT32 rather than NTFS (not sure if that matters).

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
What screen would the movie play?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2 rear screens. UConnect support said it should be able to play a .wma file, but I've had no such luck getting that working.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I didn't get the screens in my Durango because they were such a pain in the rear to get anything to work in my 12' ram. First it was format, then it was only certain USB thumb drive brands worked. Huge head ache because by time it for around to working right the thing was out of date and passed by technology. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
over in GC land people seem to be pretty happy with the '14 rear video system.. I suspect a lot has changed since '12..

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
The onboard audio runs QNX, not Windows, and I don't know whether QNX as configured plays nicely with NTFS.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Hrm. based on the user guide for QNX car (which is presumably the right version) it can allow read access to NTFS. :)

Anyway... Where did you hear about playing movies from USB. This (about halfway down) suggests that there are no codecs for video file playback, though it's tough to say if Dodge has subsequently added codecs I didn't see anything on the official uconnect site about USB playback.

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
Hrm. based on the user guide for QNX car (which is presumably the right version) it can allow read access to NTFS. :)
As with any embedded OS, the question is what is configured into the OS.. as far as the 8.4AN, I don't have rear DVD so I haven't plumbed the depths of this.. I have my music on a FAT32 SD card :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Absolutely. My intent was not to say that the specific set up in the durango could read NTFS, but that a library to read NTFS exists and could have been configured into the system. The same goes for video codecs. The difference is that the NTFS library appears to be default unless removed, where the codecs are not present unless specifically added. But that is solely on interpretation of the language in a help file. /shrug

More important is the following language on the official Uconnect pages for the durango systems (730N linked, same language on others); "The USB port allows you to connect your compatible media device and play all your favorite music" Emphasis is mine.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I took a short video clip and converted it to a series of video formats (windows video, quick time, mp4, avi, etc.) and put the files on a usb stick. My 2014 uconnect 8.4N would not acknowledge that there was anything other than some music files on the stick. I also tried setting the parking brake, which is required in some other vehicles, but still no video files acknowledged. And to be honest, if I were Chrysler, I would not allow anyone to view videos on the front screen under any circumstances (liability).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only way I got mine to work was via dvd burning .avi files into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi,

Could you please elaborate what you did. Did u download an avi file and get it onto the USB stick? That didnt work for me. Did u rip a DVD as an avi and then put it on the USB stick? that didnt work for me either. I have the 8.4 A on a 2015 Durango.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
167 Posts
What he meant was he burned an .avi to a dvd disk into dvd format and played it on the DVD player. No way for the usb drive to play digital movie files. The files need to be burned to DVD disk and played on the DVD player.

I've done this too. Bit of a pain but you only have to burn it once and keep a book of burned movies in the vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts