Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for another spark plug change on my 2011 hemi and I'm thinking of upgrading to iridium or even the new ruthenium plugs, which claim to be more efficient and certainly last longer. Anybody who has tried that on this age hemi have any feedback. It has 130000 miles on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,558 Posts
^......x2

·
Registered
199 Posts
I put Iridium plugs in my 2014 Citadel. Didn't really notice anything different.

Keep in mind that if you do the plugs yourself there's 16 of them. Will take a while, might as well put in the best.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
655 Posts
It's time for another spark plug change on my 2011 hemi and I'm thinking of upgrading to iridium or even the new ruthenium plugs, which claim to be more efficient and certainly last longer. Anybody who has tried that on this age hemi have any feedback. It has 130000 miles on it. Thanks.
I installed iridium plugs on my 2013 JGC 5.7 (actually swapped in my low miles ~13k miles plugs from my challenger which I used coolers plugs due to going FI) which had 90k miles on it. The problem with using copper plugs is that I was concerned about the risk of damaging the cylinder head threads from the constant 30k mile plug replacement schedule. IMO the upgrade is only worth it if the engine has relatively low miles because iridium plugs are expensive. In fact, the only reason I did the swap is the iridiums came out of my challenger.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
The advantage of the longer life plug, is a 100K+ service life, vs 30-40k for the copper plugs. The LL plug came about due to the excessive idle time the Hemi experienced in police/fire, public service. The iridium, became standard for the 5.7 in late '13/early '14. My '14 Charger R/T built in September of '13 has them. IMO, running them is a no brainer.
I believe they are backwards compatible.

Don

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
I installed the NGK ruthenium plugs in my '14 right before 100K....and now at 155K. No issues. Can't say they fire off better or I get better FE though. Seems pretty much the same as the stock NGK's that came out performance wise but they are suppose to last longer in high temps than Iridium..which makes them worth it to me.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
655 Posts
How are there this many replies to a spark plug thread? Get the factory recommended part and move on. This isn’t the 1960’s anymore.
Says the guy with a 2016 that comes factory equipped with iridium plugs and does not have to change them every 30k miles. Switching to iridium early on makes sense as it saves in maintenance labor. There are guys on the challenger forum that made the switch to iridium on the first plug change to avoid having to service the engine so frequently. On a high mileage engine it boils down to how willing you are to pay up for iridium plugs so you don't have to change plugs for potentially the remaining life of the vehicle?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
@Piker I did this in my 2011 5.7L CrewLux Durango when I owned it. as long as you have the $$$ for 16 Iridium plugs then go for it.

as others have said, there is no increased performance, but there is also no performance detriment and the iridium last MUCH longer than the copper plugs. I changed to iridium around 100k miles (I bought that D used at 83k miles) and was still on that set of plugs when I sold the vehicle at 160k miles. it will cost money to buy 16 of those iridiums but it will save money in the long run.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Says the guy with a 2016 that comes factory equipped with iridium plugs and does not have to change them every 30k miles. Switching to iridium early on makes sense as it saves in maintenance labor. There are guys on the challenger forum that made the switch to iridium on the first plug change to avoid having to service the engine so frequently. On a high mileage engine it boils down to how willing you are to pay up for iridium plugs so you don't have to change plugs for potentially the remaining life of the vehicle?
My old 4Runner had 220k on the original copper plugs and when I swapped them it changed nothing. My old 350z got changed somewhere around 110k with no changes. None of my parents vehicles ever got plugs changed in the 100-200k miles we put on them. Never really understood why people bother changing them. Pull them, re-gap if necessary, put them back in.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
My old 4Runner had 220k on the original copper plugs and when I swapped them it changed nothing. My old 350z got changed somewhere around 110k with no changes. None of my parents vehicles ever got plugs changed in the 100-200k miles we put on them. Never really understood why people bother changing them. Pull them, re-gap if necessary, put them back in.
:)LOL...yeah, but those old vehicles didn't have OBD2 or modern computers that can now detect misfires way before you feel a miss in the engine....and electrodes do wear away. So I find it hard to believe your Toyota got that far still running on all cylinders with 220K copper spark plugs....unless they were NGK's!

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
655 Posts
Let's not forget that the compression ratio these modern Hemis are also higher than the engines from back in the 60s. Higher cylinder pressure makes it increasingly difficult for spark to jump the gap, hence why FCA states copper plugs should be swapped out ~30k miles.

·
Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
223 Posts
Those that buy precious metal plugs thinking they'll get more "performance" are mistaken. Copper plugs have better conductivity than other precious metal plugs. Precious metals started to get spec'd as was mentioned for maintenance issues (longevity). The PITA plug changes on a 3.6 come to mind... Doing 16 plugs on a Hemi is a piece of cake compared to 3.6s.
Over the past 16 years, I've done plugs on my '06 Daytona a few times. NOT planning to tear 1/2 of the top of the motor, with a ton of gaskets, apart in our 3.6. When the time comes, I'll pay someone to do that. At the rate the wife drives, and with her health issues, figure that'll be 10+ years, if I'm even here to worry about it. LOL.

Here is a good write-up on copper vs precious metals...

Copper Spark Plugs vs. Iridium and Platinum: Understand for Top Performance - CarsDirect

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
655 Posts
The PITA plug changes on a 3.6 come to mind... Doing 16 plugs on a Hemi is a piece of cake compared to 3.6s.
No kidding. My GT is due for a plug change...9k miles to go. I have everything ready plus the upgraded oil filter assembly which comes with new gaskets, even have coolant on hand which I might as well change. Changing plugs on my 5.7 JGC with air ride suspension (drop it to easy entry mode) was a breeze but I still prefer not doing it every 30k miles.

·
Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
223 Posts
No kidding. My GT is due for a plug change...9k miles to go. I have everything ready plus the upgraded oil filter assembly which comes with new gaskets, even have coolant on hand which I might as well change. Changing plugs on my 5.7 JGC with air ride suspension (drop it to easy entry mode) was a breeze but I still prefer not doing it every 30k miles.
Which upgraded oil filter assembly you going with? A Mopar or aftermarket like an aluminum Dorman? Also see a lot of commercials for the Baxter remote filter system, which eliminates the drain back issues. Not worth it unless I was going to tear into it for plug change like you are.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
655 Posts
Which upgraded oil filter assembly you going with? A Mopar or aftermarket like an aluminum Dorman? Also see a lot of commercials for the Baxter remote filter system, which eliminates the drain back issues. Not worth it unless I was going to tear into it for plug change like you are.
The Dorman 926-959 unit.

·
Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
223 Posts
The Dorman 926-959 unit.
(y)

I will probably go this route when my plugs are due, unless something better/cheaper is out by then. I like the idea of the Baxter remote system, but don't like the $640 cost for the drop-in, plus the remote filter mount...:(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts