Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**UPDATE 2015-12-23**
There is yet another updated TSB issued from Chrysler on 12/19/2015, TSB 08-083-15 Rev B.
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0808315b.pdf

**UPDATE 2015-10-14***
The issued TSB (08-083-15 Rev A.) has a new problem, still has EQ/DSP bug at volume levels only now.
See below for new vid and details.

**UPDATE** TSB has been released here for this problem http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0808315a.pdf

If you have a 8.4 with upgraded system with the rear sub AND you have had the sub gain/EQ issue (all over, cuts out, etc), please use the Dodge web site to contact them and let them know of the problem.

For example, my second notice to them was as follows:
Since new, my 2015 Durango R/T with the 8.4AN has exhibited problems with the rear sub (even after the latest uConnect update).

The gain control is VERY buggy, regardless of source of audio (Radio, SXM, Blue Tooth, SD Media).

Same song played through various sources, the bass level from the Sub (not the door speakers) is all over the place. I have to turn to volume down, go to the EQ, then move the "Bass" level back and forth until the sub cuts off, otherwise it seems to simply blast. This has turned a great vehicle (and great music) into something I don't want to use.

Not sure of others complaints, but I do know this is not an isolated problem to my vehicle as others have similar issues.

Not sure if the uConnect development team can simply add a gain/eq control button for the rear sub or not, but this needs a resolution.

When I test drove a 2014 near a year ago, it had a similar problem.

Please assist.
I chose to email them, see the contact option links here:
Dodge - Contact Us

As owners, we're owed a fix to this issue. Post here when you contact them. I'm to the point I'm going to just disconnect the harness to the sub until they fix it.

--Update 4/3/2015--
Thanks to cambo for this vid that demonstrates this perfectly!

--Update 10/14/2015--
So I had the TSB applied today. It's a broken fix!!
It DOES fix the RANDOMNESS of the EQ/DSP problem (tweaking the EQ no longer generates the issue), and has now CREATED another issue of the same sound bug, but only via volume levels!

Volume level 0-9 exhibit the same exact problem as when the EQ/DSP bug happened (increase in bass, flat mid, no high).
Volume 10 and + seems to no longer have the EQ/DSP bug, HOWEVER the highs no longer seem has high/crisp.

Below is the vid of the BROKEN TSB fix for this problem. Chrysler & Harman should be ashamed of poor testing of a supposed fix. (I apologize for the shaky vid, holding a camera and getting angry at how it didn't really fix the problem, trying the youtube shaky image fix, hahah!)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I experience the same problem. I too contacted Dodge and am waiting for a reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Better yet, if you have this problem send me a PM with your VIN and contact information and I will pass this on. Having this problem in my '14 and my '15 I have managed to get this escalated with FCA with the assistance of my service manager and Alpine (who I discussed this with directly). It has now been handed over to Harman and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm 99.98% sure we know what the problem is, however FCA refused to assist the dealership to perform a CAN bus log "for proprietary reasons." That said I have provided them multiple videos of the problem that should point them in the right direction.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My D is at the dealer now and today I asked the service advisor to insist that they escalate the audio problem to STAR. I'm awaiting their response and then, if needed, I will also contact FCA and lodge yet another formal complaint. This time on the ausio issue. I also asked her to escalate my autoclimate concern as well. FCA needs to get their crap together and get these bugs fixed once and for all!!! I didn't buy a $45K car to not even be able to listen to the radio. :mad:

I'll post back if anything good comes from my visit.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is at the dealer now getting a "diagnostic". Of course, they had no idea what I was talking about and the rep never called them up. *sigh*
They're going to try and reproduce it tomorrow and call if they can't so I can walk them through it. I said it's easy, just drop the volume to 9 and move the bass eq setting up and down, they'll get the sub to either kick on or off.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I don't have your issue ,but I have notice when I have it on radio or xm if I pass tall buildings or it seems like that I will lose reception for a few seconds then it will come back on and cut off till I pass this area.
My prior vehicle was driven in same places and never had this issue radio or xm with that car.
Is this normal ?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer waiting on tech line to hear what they should do. They sent them some diagnostic info and may replace the amp. Not sure this will fix it? Maybe not? Who knows. I asked to have the tech give me a call to see if he was able to duplicate it and what the tech line is asking them to do.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dealer waiting on tech line to hear what they should do. They sent them some diagnostic info and may replace the amp. Not sure this will fix it? Maybe not? Who knows. I asked to have the tech give me a call to see if he was able to duplicate it and what the tech line is asking them to do.
At least they're looking at it. Did you have to simulate the issue with the service dept. to get them to take any action?

Marty

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't. I had already had it documented on my first oil change but requested no action seeing if an update to uconnect fixed it, which it didn't. I just opened a case with Dodge on the web page.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, I got it back and no joy on the audio concern. They left me with the usual could not duplicate and sure as heck I couldn't make it do it either when I was picking it up (ugh).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, I got it back and no joy on the audio concern. They left me with the usual "could not duplicate"
Chances are the tech who did the test either doesn't have the ears to catch the shift/difference or when making the change did it on a portion of a track/broadcast that doesn't make it noticeable. Next time give them a pink noise track on a USB/mem card/ipod to use as the source.

...and sure as heck I couldn't make it do it either when I was picking it up (ugh). I'll get online this weekend with CC and log a complaint.
Odds are that after they did the diagnosis/test they left your fob in the vehicle so the RA4 never powered down. As a result the change/correction from before stays in place. The only way to make it reappear is to make sure that the RA4 completely powers down instead of just going into standby.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Submitted my Customer Care contact this morning. Oh an by the way when I reviewed my invoice I found that they actually noted on my invoice "no update available". So it wasn't a total blow-off. They suppossedly submitted a STAR case,but did not share anything with me from that.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Well, I got it back and no joy on the audio concern. They left me with the usual could not duplicate and sure as heck I couldn't make it do it either when I was picking it up (ugh).
I will be honest with you. The tech is not gonna get paid well to look over your car. So he simply writes can not duplicate and send you on your way till the issue becomes worse. Blame the manufacture for this.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a call from Chrysler today that the dealer could not duplicate the issue. I was able to get there this afternoon and demonstrated to them it actually doing it. The service rep response was "wow, I can even feel it when in changes." Use a mp3 off the SD, did the volume game, then the eq/bass moving it back and forth. We did it a few times because at first, he didn't believe it. They said that since I was able to demonstrate the issue for them, they can now open a tech case up with Chrysler.

I told them I need to use it this weekend, so I have it back for now (yes, there were no updates available for the system since I already did it). They are keeping the service ticket open and noting I have it back so they can work with a tech from the manufacturer.

If anyone else gets something figured out in more detail from their service calls, let me know so I can pass it on.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That's good news! How did you do it a few times? Mine seems to be good once I change the EQ then it seems fine until the car is off for a while although I haven't repeatedly turned the car off and on within a few minutes.

Marty

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was using the SD source for a song. All I did was hover around the 8-11 volume range. I've gotten pro at getting it to kick off. It worked best when I was showing the tech this time at 11 volume. The Bass in the EQ was dead middle, Mid was 2-3 ticks up, High was almost all the way.

Went into the EQ, moved back an forth from center, 2 ticks down, 2 ticks up and kept at that. It would kick off. We'd listen for a minute... then I would move the eq again, it would either kick off or on.

I was using what I already had in there; Dave Mathews Band - Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King. Tack 2, Shake Me like a Monkey. It's got a consistent bass drum and has a decent range so you can really hear the difference when the audio shifts and the sub gain changes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks. I'm gonna have to spend a little more time messing with it while sitting in the driveway to get it to be controllable.
Marty

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Soooooooo.... Both Dodge and the dealer called today... unfortunately my Dodge rep working my case is IMPOSSIBLE to hear the voice mails she leaves. Service rep said to call and schedule a drop off, but leave enough time to try to duplicate it on another vehicle in the lot if I can so they may be able to return mine and use theirs as the service guinea pig. I asked them to find a DD with the 8.4an upgraded sound system and that the 14's did it too.

They THINK it is the amp, but not sure. Unless the crossovers are digital and built into the system amp, then I doubt it.

Has anyone had ANY luck with HARMAN or should I call them to give them a heads up to assist the dealer tech working on this with Corporate?

1 - 20 of 461 Posts