Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, this is great to hear. I have been trying to figure this out since they 2018 Durango's came out with the 4C head unit. Couple of questions on this.

1. Did you need any adapters or are all the connections the same?

2. I'm digging around and having a hard time finding the OEM 4C unit, infotainment doesn't show it and not seeing anything on eBay.

3. For the Media Hub, any info on that? I'm not overly confident that my local dealership will know what I'm referring too.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing some more on this!

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow, this is great to hear. I have been trying to figure this out since they 2018 Durango's came out with the 4C head unit. Couple of questions on this.

1. Did you need any adapters or are all the connections the same?

2. I'm digging around and having a hard time finding the OEM 4C unit, infotainment doesn't show it and not seeing anything on eBay.

3. For the Media Hub, any info on that? I'm not overly confident that my local dealership will know what I'm referring too.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing some more on this!

Thanks
Bill
Ok media hub installed and Android Auto/Carplay working perfectly. Nothing was needed except the swap of the media hub (center console USB/SD card hub). The reason for the swap of the media hub is so that it can communicate with the phone and make Android Auto work. The radio itself was a plug and play - everything is color coded so its easy. I paid $950.00 for the Uconnect on ebay and the dealership ordered/installed the media hub for $230.00. Well worth the upgrade!! I will post pictures soon -

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been chatting with Infotainment.com and they are pretty set on thinking this isn't possible right now. I have them discussing internally to hopefully better their understanding. The question I'm trying to get answered is whether the Charger/Challenger UAQ 4C units are any different then the Durango UAQ 4C? I can't find a single 2018 Durango 4C anywhere but I see a couple for the Charger.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I checked the wiring diagrams, and the retrofit does look possible (and clearly the OP did it).

There was a UAQ for a Durango on eBay yesterday for $1099, but it looks like someone bought it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I checked the wiring diagrams, and the retrofit does look possible (and clearly the OP did it).

There was a UAQ for a Durango on eBay yesterday for $1099, but it looks like someone bought it.
Phil, I've been trying to find wiring diagrams for the 2018 Durango. Where are you getting the wiring diagrams?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've been chatting with Infotainment.com and they are pretty set on thinking this isn't possible right now. I have them discussing internally to hopefully better their understanding. The question I'm trying to get answered is whether the Charger/Challenger UAQ 4C units are any different then the Durango UAQ 4C? I can't find a single 2018 Durango 4C anywhere but I see a couple for the Charger.
Same here, when I inquired they said heated seats and folding headrest would not be functional on the retrofit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ok media hub installed and Android Auto/Carplay working perfectly. Nothing was needed except the swap of the media hub (center console USB/SD card hub). The reason for the swap of the media hub is so that it can communicate with the phone and make Android Auto work. The radio itself was a plug and play - everything is color coded so its easy. I paid $950.00 for the Uconnect on ebay and the dealership ordered/installed the media hub for $230.00. Well worth the upgrade!! I will post pictures soon -
So everything works like stock? Heated/cooled seats, fold down third row headrests, a/c controls, etc? I’m wondering if the 17s are actually a direct swap and the pre 17s aren’t because the infotainment rep said they were still having issues with the retrofit. 2017 models have an upgraded head unit but it’s not the CarPlay/Android Auto one so I’m thinking the canbus is the same as the 2018.

·
Registered
403 Posts
For the Grand Cherokee, they say an extra harness is required for heated seats and stuff to work. I wonder if that’s the same for the Durango?

I’ve emailed and asked Infotainment a few times, but they seem to have no interest in supporting the earlier 3rd gens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It does not ....and I don't think the 2018 do either......but the NAV on the 4C is a huge improvement over the earlier models. I was using both on my recent trip....nothing beats google maps, but I am digging the 4C nav.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So everything works like stock? Heated/cooled seats, fold down third row headrests, a/c controls, etc? I’m wondering if the 17s are actually a direct swap and the pre 17s aren’t because the infotainment rep said they were still having issues with the retrofit. 2017 models have an upgraded head unit but it’s not the CarPlay/Android Auto one so I’m thinking the canbus is the same as the 2018.
Everything works like stock ....I have not checked the 3rd row headrests as I don't use my 3rd row....but will be happy to check. The 4C was a easy swap in my 2017....only have to replace the center media hub to make the Android Auto/Car play work......used it on my trip this weekend = it was GREAT

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was able to get my hands on a 20184C head unit from eBay. Besides the damage to the front screen that the seller didn't reveal, there were a couple of things I noticed when installing.

1. I suspect it wasn't from a Durango since the mounting holes don't line up for the top of the unit. And it was a little delicate to make sure it was fully seated, still don't think I got it fully seated so I removed it.

2. I tested the seat A/C and Heat, rear headrests and back up camera and all worked like the 2017 unit, no issues.

3. My stock media hub worked fine to enable Android Auto so I didn't have to replace it.

4. The only thing I think wasn't working was stock navigation. There was no way of pulling up a map without being in Android Auto.

5. I noticed more connectors on the back of the new unit that the 2017 doesn't have. Pic attached on that. The 2017 only has the first 3 from the left on the round connectors. Not sure what the other 3 are, may be why my nav wasn't showing up if the Nav antenna has a separate connection from the sat antenna.

I need to work the return from the eBay seller and look for an actual 2018 Durango version next, but all in all it wasn't bad. I just don't want the damaged screen.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My 2018, besides having the first three from the left, also has connectors plugged into the fourth one from the left (pinkish-mauve? color) as well as the gray square with the cut-off corner. Of course, that's in addition to the large main harness connector.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Everything works like stock ....I have not checked the 3rd row headrests as I don't use my 3rd row....but will be happy to check. The 4C was a easy swap in my 2017....only have to replace the center media hub to make the Android Auto/Car play work......used it on my trip this weekend = it was GREAT
Awesome, thanks! The only thing stopping me from going thru with this is confirmation that Apple CarPlay works. Seems that you both verify that Android Auto does but I want to be absolutely sure CarPlay does.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
About this Discussion
76 Replies
23 Participants
Stagestruck
Dodge Durango Forum
Welcome to the best Dodge Durango Forum around, where you can find a great Dodge Durango Wiki and discuss the reliability of the different trim levels including the GT and SRT!
Full Forum Listing