15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrysler Assistance Center numbers:
  • 800-992-1997 U.S.
    800-465-2001 Canada
NUMBER: 14-001-12
  • GROUP: Fuel System
    DATE: January 20, 2012
SUBJECT: Fuel Spit Back During Refueling Due To Faulty Inlet Check Valve X39 (Unlimited Time And Mileage Warranty Extension)

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves replacing the fuel filler tube if the condition occurs.

MODELS:
  • 2006 - 2008 (HB) Durango
    2007 - 2008 (HG) Aspen

NOTE: This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a naturally aspirated gasoline engines.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION: Some customers may experience a fuel spit back condition during a refueling event.

DIAGNOSIS: If the customer experiences the symptom/condition, proceed to the repair procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
  • <table><tr><td align=center width=50>Qty</td><td width=100>Part No</td><td width=300>Description</td></tr><tr><td align=center>1</td><td>CNNZX390AA</td><td>Tube, Fuel Filler</td></tr><tr><td align=center>4</td><td>6500911</td><td>Rivet, Splash Shield Attaching</td></tr></table>
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
  • NOTE: Vehicles included in this Service Bulletin have a lifetime coverage - Unlimited Time and Mileage warranty for this repair.

See Warranty Bulletins U.S. D-12-07, Canada SAB 2012-03, International ID-12-02 or Mexico B&G-01-12 for details associated with the extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I guess all the Gen 2s have crappy fuel filler tube check valves then. According to the VIN look up mine isn't in the recall (or possibly already had the recall work done) and this starts after my model year. :wall:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am so glad I checked this out. We have been having this problem on my '06 for years, but it wasn't covered for the '06s originally. Had the dealer run my VIN and found out it is covered. Sweet!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Welcome to our forum. Glad you found your answer!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chrysler Assistance Center numbers:
  • 800-992-1997 U.S.
    800-465-2001 Canada
NUMBER: 14-001-12
  • GROUP: Fuel System
    DATE: January 20, 2012
SUBJECT: Fuel Spit Back During Refueling Due To Faulty Inlet Check Valve X39 (Unlimited Time And Mileage Warranty Extension)

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves replacing the fuel filler tube if the condition occurs.

MODELS:
  • 2006 - 2008 (HB) Durango
    2007 - 2008 (HG) Aspen

NOTE: This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a naturally aspirated gasoline engines.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION: Some customers may experience a fuel spit back condition during a refueling event.

DIAGNOSIS: If the customer experiences the symptom/condition, proceed to the repair procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
  • <table><tr><td align=center width=50>Qty</td><td width=100>Part No</td><td width=300>Description</td></tr><tr><td align=center>1</td><td>CNNZX390AA</td><td>Tube, Fuel Filler</td></tr><tr><td align=center>4</td><td>6500911</td><td>Rivet, Splash Shield Attaching</td></tr></table>
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
  • NOTE: Vehicles included in this Service Bulletin have a lifetime coverage - Unlimited Time and Mileage warranty for this repair.

See Warranty Bulletins U.S. D-12-07, Canada SAB 2012-03, International ID-12-02 or Mexico B&G-01-12 for details associated with the extended warranty.
You guys have any idea why this doesn't list the 2009 Durango or Aspen? I just picked up an 09 Aspen, and on my first fill up it did this to me. Google lead me here, luckily it's a familiar forum!

Or is there a seperate TSB for the 2009?

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you guys have any other info, please let me know. I'm going to make an appointment next week for this and for the Passenger Airbag Recall.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I called dodge about my 2005 Durango and they said it's included in this group for the lifetime fuel system warranty. It spits back when filling up.
Taking it in this week to hopefully get this resolved.

Sent from my hammer and chisel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Been battling fuel spitback on my 2008 Aspen since I got it last September.

Last week, my wife got about a litre dumped on her when she was refueling the Aspen while traveling between work locations. Soaked her work clothes. She was pissed. She had never experienced the problem before as she rarely filled the tank past half full, but this time she decided to do a full fill. I told her that I was aware of the problem and I used a "slow fill" technique when the tank got to about the 85 litre point.

Decided to do a search tonight to see if there was a fix as I figured that it had to be a combination of the gas tank pressurizing during the fill and a check valve of some sort in that long skinny filler line that wasn't closing properly ... and discovered the "Warranty Extension" TSB in the process. Looks like I'll be talking to my local FCA dealership's service department so they can order the parts and do the filler and the passenger air bag recall at the same time.

My 2005 Durango wasn't as bad, but it still did it. The existence of the TSB certainly does explain why nearly every Durango I looked at after my 2005 was totaled had rust issues on the body work directly below the fuel filler. All that gas spilled down the side wasn't good for the paint.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Been battling fuel spitback on my 2008 Aspen since I got it last September.

Last week, my wife got about a litre dumped on her when she was refueling the Aspen while traveling between work locations. Soaked her work clothes. She was pissed. She had never experienced the problem before as she rarely filled the tank past half full, but this time she decided to do a full fill. I told her that I was aware of the problem and I used a "slow fill" technique when the tank got to about the 85 litre point.

Decided to do a search tonight to see if there was a fix as I figured that it had to be a combination of the gas tank pressurizing during the fill and a check valve of some sort in that long skinny filler line that wasn't closing properly ... and discovered the "Warranty Extension" TSB in the process. Looks like I'll be talking to my local FCA dealership's service department so they can order the parts and do the filler and the passenger air bag recall at the same time.

My 2005 Durango wasn't as bad, but it still did it. The existence of the TSB certainly does explain why nearly every Durango I looked at after my 2005 was totaled had rust issues on the body work directly below the fuel filler. All that gas spilled down the side wasn't good for the paint.
I still don't understand how the 2009 isn't covered under this. I hate having to listen for the fuel to sound like it's coming up the neck and then killing the trigger.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Went to the dealer today and asked about the "spit back" fix and showed them a copy of the TSB. They confirmed that my VIN qualifies, and it is an unlimited time/unlimited mileage warranty item. They have ordered the kit and will fit it at the same time I come in to have the passenger side airbag recall done.

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I read about spraying some wd40 down the air neck... I did this and let it soak a over night then sprayed some more. The next fill up it splooged out again. Lett'r soak with some pm blaster and BAM Next 3 fillups so far have been dry as a bone and no more spilt fuel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I read about spraying some wd40 down the air neck... I did this and let it soak a over night then sprayed some more. The next fill up it splooged out again. Lett'r soak with some pm blaster and BAM Next 3 fillups so far have been dry as a bone and no more spilt fuel.
Interesting....so just spray some PB Blaster down there? How much, or should say how long did you spray?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interesting....so just spray some PB Blaster down there? How much, or should say how long did you spray?
at the time i was working out of town with company vehicle so I dont remember exactly how much. Was only driving the occasional weekend I got to go home ( i fueled up like every 4-7 weeks if that shows how much I got to drive)... I sprayed maybe 10-15 seconds in the top air vent tube. I sprayed and it got to sit for about a week then I had a extra trip home and sprayed it again about the same. Then I got to drive it 2 weeks and actually run a tank of fuel thru it. Was still splooging but not as much so I sprayed a little more and then have had no issues since..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts