Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone installed extra fans in their D? ... I feel like I sit at idle more often than most folks so I'd like to install auxiliary electric fans to help my truck stay cooler.
I was hoping to find something direct fit.

I tried Flex-a-lite first, they don't list one.

I found one at an online retailer (CARiD.com), Hayden Rapid-Cool Reversible Fan Kit. Carid lists it as "vehicle specific" (had me enter my year, make, model, and even got as specific as trimline and engine) however Hayden's online catalog (Hayden - Home) does not confirm that one of the two parts Carid lists (3680 and 3690) are even compatible, let alone vehicle specific.

I called Hayden to find out the scoop and was told they do not make any vehicle specific auxiliary fans, all their fans are universal. But they also told me they don't make any primary fans, which their online catalog contradicts as one of the three that pop when I enter all my vehicle info they call a "Primary Fan". I also asked the guy "If they're all universal, how come when I enter my vehicle info only three pop up and I know of others you make that don't?" his answer was just "I'm not sure why it does that but they're all universal."

I spoke to Flex-a-lite, which I didn't realize was a local company unitl today, and they said if I want to stop by, although they don't make any direct fit fans for our trucks, they'll take a look and tell me which universals they'd recommend. (Next week when my truck is back from the body-shop I hope to make time to do that.)

In the interim... Has anyone else looked into this? Or installed extra cooling fans? Or familiar with the Hayden products? Or Flex-a-lite products? Or any other manufacturers? ... What about experience with the fan controllers? (I read several bad reviews about the Hayden controllers.)

I'd appreciate any info anyone has to date and I'll try and remember to come and update this after my visit with Flex-a-lite.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Flex-a-lite makes nice fans. I've used them in a number of cars.

That said, I don't see why this would be necessary. I've never seen anything indicating that the Durango is prone to overheating... What problem are you trying to solve?

·
Super Moderator
12,665 Posts
Do you have the tow package? the tow package comes with a beast of a fan..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flex-a-lite makes nice fans. I've used them in a number of cars.

That said, I don't see why this would be necessary. I've never seen anything indicating that the Durango is prone to overheating... What problem are you trying to solve?
I'm not having any problems. But I feel like I let the truck idle more than most people would. I sleep in it quite a bit and often times leave it running when I do so I can leave the climate control on. I figured having extra fans to help with cooling when it sits like that couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I do have the tow package. ... Thanks for pointing that out.
Yeah, that fan will very quickly take the temps from 226 down to 196-203. You should be fine letting it idle while you sleep or do work, *insert warnings about carbon monoxide here blah blah blah*, but there is this one spot at my girlfriends dads apartment that if I park it and let it idle, it over heats. So don't park too close to shrubby landscaping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
If its a Hemi change to a 180 stat and get a programmer and set fans at 180 for low 185 for medium and 195 for high
Mine never goes up past 180 winter / summer
STEVE

·
Registered
301 Posts
Those temps won't hurt anything, if anything it's using less gas that way even though you're wasting it letting it run. If you want it cooler for performance do it with a tune.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm not having any problems. But I feel like I let the truck idle more than most people would. I sleep in it quite a bit and often times leave it running when I do so I can leave the climate control on. I figured having extra fans to help with cooling when it sits like that couldn't hurt.
I would suggest researching the police package Durango to see how it is equipped and programmed. More fans? Lower temp thermostat? Different temps for fan activation? No one idles more than LE users, that might be a good benchmark for what Dodge engineers feel is best for longevity.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that fan will very quickly take the temps from 226 down to 196-203. You should be fine letting it idle while you sleep or do work, *insert warnings about carbon monoxide here blah blah blah*, but there is this one spot at my girlfriends dads apartment that if I park it and let it idle, it over heats. So don't park too close to shrubby landscaping.
Thanks... I leave the sunroof vent open when I do sleep in it. And it's usually for no more than three to five hours at a time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks... I leave the sunroof vent open when I do sleep in it. And it's usually for no more than three to five hours at a time.
I'm no safety nazi, but I'm going to throw this out there for general knowledge. I'm not directing this to you, TwoScoops, just posting as a PSA to anyone who might see this thread in the future and take away from it that sleeping in a running vehicle with windows or sunroof cracked is a safe practice.

Carbon Monoxide is heavier than atmospheric air. In a vehicle with a leak, opening the sunroof just gives the breathable air somewhere to go as the CO fills up the cabin from the bottom up. CO is colorless and odorless; one might not even realize that there is a leak. Sleeping in a running vehicle is a risk.

Carbon Monoxide is no joke, it kills people.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remember, CO falls to the lowest level so the sunroof does nothing!
I didn't know that so thank you! ... I have a buddy who's a field mechanic and he was the one who told me I should keep that vent open to prevent CO poisoning. Apparently he was wrong. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I appreciate that warning and PSA. I never knew that and had apparently been given bad information in the past. ... If I'm going to continue that practice (leaving the truck running when I takes naps) I should probably get something like this:
Portable Carbon Monoxide Detector Meter (CO Inspector) ? Sensorcon - Sensing Products by Molex
Menards or whatever your local hardware store is should have portable ones, I paid like $40 for a battery operated portable CO detector with an alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,665 Posts
Wow, learn something every day.. quite a gang we have here! :thumbsup:

Back to fans, the tow-package fan will eat any aftermarket fan for lunch. It is a serious air-mover, and pulls 50 amps at full tilt.. Whether the PCM calibrations for it will keep temps REALLY low is not clear (it is a fully variable-speed fan, unlike the two-speed base fan).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts