Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wife a 2014 Durango with the V6 AWD. I believe it is the SXT with 6000 miles. Anyways, she told me the transmission gauge shows it close to the red all the time and smells funny. When she goes to the transmission temp screen it shows the tranny at 200. It stays there once it gets warmed up. That sounds hot to me. I would think it should be around 175ish. I have a new Ram diesel and mine never gets over 180 unless I'm towing. I tried googling first but couldn't find anything. Wondering if the smell is still the "new" burning off and 200 is the norm or something is wrong.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought my wife a 2014 Durango with the V6 AWD. I believe it is the SXT with 6000 miles. Anyways, she told me the transmission gauge shows it close to the red all the time and smells funny. When she goes to the transmission temp screen it shows the tranny at 200. It stays there once it gets warmed up. That sounds hot to me. I would think it should be around 175ish. I have a new Ram diesel and mine never gets over 180 unless I'm towing. I tried googling first but couldn't find anything. Wondering if the smell is still the "new" burning off and 200 is the norm or something is wrong.
200 is pretty normal for my 2014 RT.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
180 - 200 probably normal
The smell may be newness and not an issue
STEVE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I'm not quite as worried now but if someone could check their trans temp in a V6 once it's to operating temp to double check PLEASE let me know. I personally haven't had a chance to drive it and smell what she's talking about yet. She works a few hours away during the week so I don't have access to it all the time.
180 - 200 probably normal
The smell may be newness and not an issue
STEVE

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine stays well below 200. Usually 160-175. Perhaps the 8 speeds are designed to run higher temps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. Hopefully the smell is just the "new" wearing off. 6000 miles is a lot of miles for "new" to wear off though. 200 degrees still sounds hotter than normal to me though. Just a little extra worried because wife's getting ready to go on a over 30hr round trip with our kids from Texas to Kentucky. Switching oil over to Amsoil before she leaves but other than that do y'all have any suggestions?

[QU.OTE=Spike_LAWD14;180358]I have the v6 and I run around 200. Seems pretty normal.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
305 Posts
SXT here. Trans oil temp is usually a few degree below the oil temp. Under normal load it goes up to 194 (oil) and trans stays around 190. 200 seems OK to me under med load. It all takes 20 min of driving to get there.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
My R/T smelled real bad for at least a few weeks its all the coatings on everything cooking off.
STEVE

·
Registered
9 Posts
I come from diesels too and my trans temp never pass 185 i saw my 2014 R/T it sits at 197 is that normal?
Truck has 73k miles

·
Registered
24 Posts
okay thanks!
What about oil pressure what’s it supposed to be at during idle?
My oil pressure is 50-60 psi at idle when oil temp is under 150. When oil gets to 200-215, it will idle at 30 psi.

2020 Dodge Durango R/T AWD White Knuckle

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2020 GT Plus runs in the high 190 or low 200 range. This is normal for this set-up. My 2500 Ram 6.4L runs 170 to 178 range. Oil pressure on the 3.6 is less than the 6.4L all the time as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great info, ty all for sharing. I have a 15 Citadel. Tranny temp is in the 190’s area also. I do tow, 2500 lbs ish so far. That weight can double. Temps are as of last week. Next July those numbers are surely to rise.
My desire is to add, if it doesn’t have one already, an external tranny cooler. My 99 SXT has one, my 05 Durango did not.
Also for those that have done this, how much did a fluid flush & fill cost ya? 🤔😫

·
Registered
265 Posts
Great info, ty all for sharing. I have a 15 Citadel. Tranny temp is in the 190’s area also. I do tow, 2500 lbs ish so far. That weight can double. Temps are as of last week. Next July those numbers are surely to rise.
My desire is to add, if it doesn’t have one already, an external tranny cooler. My 99 SXT has one, my 05 Durango did not.
Also for those that have done this, how much did a fluid flush & fill cost ya? 🤔😫
I don’t think that’s necessary. The factory trans cooler seems sufficient. I regularly tow about 6,500 lbs and trans temp rarely goes over 200F

1 - 19 of 19 Posts