Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I’m having a problem where my transmission would normally shift fine after letting it sit for a few hours, but after say like 30mins- 1 hour of driving, my transmission would do hard shifts and stay in a certain gear and wouldn’t shift unless I do a complete stop, or it will be under power when I hit the gas, so I have to shift into second gear so I can pick up some speed. also won’t shift into 1st gear manually but will shift into second. Scanned it and said that my output speed sensor was bad so I replaced that and it still says it bad, but it seems like it made it better, but still acts up most days. Mind you, it will shift into all the gears manually or automatically at the beginning, and then all these symptoms happen after driving it for an hour or so. Maybe input speed sensor, shift solenoid, or dirty trans fluid? Please help, thank you!

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
Alright, so I’m having a problem where my transmission would normally shift fine after letting it sit for a few hours, but after say like 30mins- 1 hour of driving, my transmission would do hard shifts and stay in a certain gear and wouldn’t shift unless I do a complete stop, or it will be under power when I hit the gas, so I have to shift into second gear so I can pick up some speed. also won’t shift into 1st gear manually but will shift into second. Scanned it and said that my output speed sensor was bad so I replaced that and it still says it bad, but it seems like it made it better, but still acts up most days. Mind you, it will shift into all the gears manually or automatically at the beginning, and then all these symptoms happen after driving it for an hour or so. Maybe input speed sensor, shift solenoid, or dirty trans fluid? Please help, thank you!
Have you checked for any codes with a obd scanner? Also what year, trim level?

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
When is the last time, if ever, you did a drain/refill/filter change on it?

Don

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
Yes, I get a p0700 and p0720, also it’s a 2006 hemi Durango
The P0700 is just a code that states there is a DTC stored on the TCM, but the P0720 is specific to the output speed sensor circuit.

Here are possible causes the FSM points out. My bet would be a flake output sensor as I had both the input and output sensors fail intermittently on my 99 WJ.

OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
SPEED SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
SPEED SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
SPEED SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Use this site to help you run thru the diagnostic steps. Just go to the repair section, search for P0720 and follow the steps.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,264 Posts
DO THE FLUID AND FILTER CHANGE! Yes, I'm yelling at you for ignoring it.

Reactions: Duh-rango

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
If you look at the color and smell the trans fluid on the dipstick it should tell you the condition. Dark red/brown and a smell of burnt coffee is a good indication the fluid needs a change.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
When it comes to trans fluid change it depends on the source.

Chilton schedule
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Electric blue

Owner's manual (only schedule B lists trans fluid change interval)
Font Screenshot Number Circle Document

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Screenshot

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,538 Posts
Replace the rear output speed sensor preferably with an OEM part purchased from the dealer or somewhere like RockAuto.

Inspect the wiring going to that sensor carefully and make sure no wires are burned/frayed/worn/broken.

Then do your Transmission Fluid/Filter service once it's running again.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
So checked my trans change schedule for my 2001 which has the same trans as the 2006. 45rfe/545rfe which has ATF+4 trans fluid. 2001 schedule A was 100K...and included changing filter. 30K for schedule B.
So Dodge moved to 60K schedule B...and I don't see a schedule A trans fluid change....which seems a bit crazy. I know ATF+4 is a synthetic fluid...but I don't think I'd go over 150K with it.

Reminds me of Dodge's stance our ZF requires no change interval when ZF says to change. :unsure:

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
I thought ATF+4 was expensive but this 8-9 speed trans fluid cost is ridiculous. It is also green which I think they blend money into it which is why it costs so much. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts