Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on June 2020 i went to agency and the recommend to change the transmission oil.
they did, i have started noting the transmission overheating and continue go up to Max.\
i visited them again and they asked me to replace the solenoid valve ( cooler bypass),
same overheating continue then they said the transfer case and AWD control must be changed.

they changed them but still overheating,

would you please help me

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Hi khalaf:
Welcome to DDN. How many miles/km on your' '14? It sounds to me like they may not have put the proper fluid back in, or if they did, not enough. The 8 speed trans in the '14 should not need a fluid /filter change until at least 100K, or 75K if you tow frequently and heavy.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi khalaf:
Welcome to DDN. How many miles/km on your' '14? It sounds to me like they may not have put the proper fluid back in, or if they did, not enough. The 8 speed trans in the '14 should not need a fluid /filter change until at least 100K, or 75K if you tow frequently and heavy.

Don
Hi Don fox,
Thanks a lot for your reply
My 2014 car is around 190,000 KM, and this is first time they recommend to change the trans. Oil, now I am going to them will ask them to doube check .

Will update you once get any feed back .

If you do not mind, would you please advise how much the cost of the new transmission cost in case i forced for replacement as her they are talking about unlogic figure ( 19500 USD) and i have to add the replacement and new fluid cost !!!!!!
Regards

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Hi Khalaf:
Hopefully you can avoid replacing the trans. The 8 speed trans is known to be very sturdy, and reliable. The oem fluid runs about $30 a quart, and the filter is built into the pan, so you also replace the pan when doing a service.
I think i have seen quotes in the $5,000-$6000 range here in the US to replace one. I cannot imagine where they are getting such a figure! It's not made of gold lol!

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Khalaf:
Hopefully you can avoid replacing the trans. The 8 speed trans is known to be very sturdy, and reliable. The oem fluid runs about $30 a quart, and the filter is built into the pan, so you also replace the pan when doing a service.
I think i have seen quotes in the $5,000-$6000 range here in the US to replace one. I cannot imagine where they are getting such a figure! It's not made of gold lol!

Don
Hi

I have replqced oil, pan, coller bypass, transfere case and control , with no improvement
What temperature is it hitting?
I is hitting the Max. and trans. Overheat alaram coming.
What temperature is it hitting?
Hi
It is hittinh the. MAX and alrams coming

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Checking the fluid level on the 8 speed is not a simple thing as I understand it. Are you sure you have the correct fluid, and enough of it in there?

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesturday, the agent double checked it and confirmed that the level and quality both are OK

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
What issue, if any was the reason you took it to them in the first place? 190K km is a little over 118K miles, which is not a lot for that trans. If the overheating did not start until after they serviced it, then they likely have done something wrong. How well do you trust them? We all want to trust our auto service company, but just because they "say" it's been done right, does not mean that it has. From what you have said here, a lot of expensive parts have been thrown at it, and the problem remains. Am I correct that the transfer case was also replaced? If so, that is a big red flag!

If they replaced the T case to supposedly cure trans overheating, I would not trust their judgement. That would be like replacing the transmission because the engine was overheating. They are two separate systems.

Don

Reactions: khalaf

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Find someone else to look at it...these guys are crooks just trying to take more of your money.
There is NO recommended transmission oil change interval for your 2014 Durango per Dodge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What issue, if any was the reason you took it to them in the first place? 190K km is a little over 118K miles, which is not a lot for that trans. If the overheating did not start until after they serviced it, then they likely have done something wrong. How well do you trust them? We all want to trust our auto service company, but just because they "say" it's been done right, does not mean that it has. From what you have said here, a lot of expensive parts have been thrown at it, and the problem remains. Am I correct that the transfer case was also replaced? If so, that is a big red flag!

If they replaced the T case to supposedly cure trans overheating, I would not trust their judgement. That would be like replacing the transmission because the engine was overheating. They are two separate systems.

Don
You are right, but in fortunettly in my are we are forced to deal with them as no alternative.
Still they are unable to solve the problem and car with them .
Competition is the only for improvement

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are right, but in fortunettly in my are we are forced to deal with them as no alternative.
Still they are unable to solve the problem and car with them .
Competition is the only for improvement
Thanks a lot for your advices, I called dodge agent in Jordan and they advised to change the oil again as overheated while testing the car and to replace the cooler as 190,000 is long distance without replacing it.
I did what they advised, now every thing ok , Temp. Ranging between 88 91 C while when speed more than 140 Km/ hr and 88- 89 if less speed

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
khalaf:
Thanks for coming back, and updating us on your progress. It sounds like there may have been some sort of restriction with the cooler. I think replacing the cooler here in the US runs $1100-$1200, so not a cheap repair.

Good luck!

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts