Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the fluid and filter changed Saturday after the transmission decided to start doing sole weird shifting. At first it would start out in second and wouldn't shift into OD and made a whining sound until in third gear. Had the fluid and filter changed and the transmission runs almost perfectly now, feels smooth and runs quietly. The only problem is it still doesn't shift down into first except every son often.

Anyone else ever had this issue? Anyone have any ideas? Just wondering if the tranny is screwed or if it can be fixed without a complete rebuild. Thanks in advance.

My Durango is a 2000 with the 5.9L and the NV242 transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,709 Posts
does manual first get you into first gear?

...tom

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah mine was doing the same thing. I dealt with it a while and when I finally had it looked at, it was trashed. You may want to have it checked out soon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks waterman. I've got a contact that I'm working on. He's supposed to be pretty good with these Dodges. Hopefully it's something he can fix, if not looks like a reman will be getting thrown under there. I would do a rebuild but on a reman the whole tranny is warranted and not just the parts and work on the rebuild.

Oh, and by sloppy do you mean easy to wiggle up and down while it's in gear? If so then yes, there is considerable play in the shift lever.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks waterman. I've got a contact that I'm working on. He's supposed to be pretty good with these Dodges. Hopefully it's something he can fix, if not looks like a reman will be getting thrown under there. I would do a rebuild but on a reman the whole tranny is warranted and not just the parts and work on the rebuild.

Oh, and by sloppy do you mean easy to wiggle up and down while it's in gear? If so then yes, there is considerable play in the shift lever.

Just curious as to how it turned out?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, for a little while it shifted into OD great after getting the fluid and filter changed but still had to shift into first manually. Now it's acting funny in OD again. I'm going to have to get a new trans. I'm probably about to get rid of this thing entirely. Something new goes wrong everyday lately. Right rear passenger door won't unlock or open, water pump is now going out, can't seem to get the heater blower to stay on but when A/C is on the blower stays on, this thing just keeps doing random and weird things. Not a good impression for someone that bought their first Dodge. Yes I understand it is old and has high mileage, but My F150 is just as old and just as high mileage and has no issues.

I love the looks of this Durango and how it does in 4X4 and the room it has, but it's a money pit with gremlins all in it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up my new to me 1998 Durango SLT 4X4 5.9 with 46RE transmission.
What did you do or find out about yours?
I am having similar problem. No 1st gear, and then not wanting to shift until I was around 2500-3000 RPMs and letting off gas pedal, then it will shift and not a hard shift. So i took it to advance auto and had them hook up there code reader, it gave me code P1763 which I had to look up online- shift solenoid. I then went home to do some research and testing of my own. I swapped horn relay and trans relay in fuse box under hood and it drove great........until my first complete stop and back to no 1st gear. Sluggish with a serious lack of power, like the parking brake is slightly on. I pulled over and with engine running i unplugged relay and plugged it back in, no change. I then turned engine off and unplugged/plugged in relay and bam, off I went........until my first complete stop.same shh. Confused and thinking as I headed back home, didn't drive it for the rest of the day and the next day. Jumped in it today and it drove fine........until my first complete stop, back to problem. This time I turned it off and restarted it without touching relay and drove fine again. What changed for the fact of unplugging and plugging relay to just turning off and restarting? And only after making a complete stop.

Dont know if its the same issue, but it seems to be electrical.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't figured out my issue yet either. I'll most likely be getting a transmission rebuild done in either January or February.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, had the sensor and governor changed out in the tranny just inside the pan and now it shifts into 1st but still won't go into 4th. As soon as we figure that out I'll let y'all know. Pretty sure it's an electrical problem. Fluid is clean and nothing looks/smells burned out. No metal junk in the fluid or pan.

·
Registered
65 Posts
lack of OD i would speculate being a bad OD solenoid located centimeters from the transducer and Gov pressure sensor you just had replaced. many may think im crazy but if i go into a trans valve body ALL electronics are getting replaced. if you turn OD off does the torque converter lock up in third somewhere between 35 and 40 mph?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm having the same issue but my code reader is telling me TCC Is not working. It won't shift past first gear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My first three are working now. Leaving it with my transmission guy in January. So far he's sure no rebuild is necessary. Says the inside looks immaculate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you figure out why it wouldn't go into first? Mine won't go into first after going threw some trails in 4x4. Hopefully I didn't ruin the transmission. But I'm gonna try to figure this out without replacing trans first. I go to take off and it's stuck in second gear. I didn't wanna drive it far like this, so I don't know if trying to manually shift it will work yet. Or any of the other suggestions. Before my overdrive wouldn't work but it was just a wire broken that lead to the switch. I have a 2000 Durango 5.9 4x4.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts