Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the 2007 4.7 V8 4WD Flexfuel Aspen (same as 07 durango) comes equipped with a transmission cooler. Looks like it is and I had a car savvy guy tell me that there's lines coming off of something behind my grill that goes to the transmission.
Reason i'm asking is that I'm getting my Aspen prepped for towing my 27' camper.

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
almost all automatics have a trans cooler, usually built into the radiator in one of the tanks. The real question is, is there an auxiliary trans cooler, either factory added or aftermarket on my rig for towing or low gear (off-road) work. If there are just lines running to the radiator tanks (usually 5/16 in diameter and nothing going from the radiator toward the front side of the radiator area you don't have that aux cooler.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
My 05 has the trans cooler external to the radiator (and also power steering cooler), meaning the lines run direct from the transmission to a cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I don't have a hitch on mine (yet), so maybe the standard for all Gen 2s was full coolers for both?

Samurai; If you look up from under the front bumper see if you have anything mounted in front of the main radiator. Ideally get a picture and people here can check it out. If there is a smaller radiator there (possibly 2 of them) one of them should have lines running directly back towards the engine. If it's there then most likely you do have one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 05 has the trans cooler external to the radiator (and also power steering cooler), meaning the lines run direct from the transmission to a cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I don't have a hitch on mine (yet), so maybe the standard for all Gen 2s was full coolers for both?

Samurai; If you look up from under the front bumper see if you have anything mounted in front of the main radiator. Ideally get a picture and people here can check it out. If there is a smaller radiator there (possibly 2 of them) one of them should have lines running directly back towards the engine. If it's there then most likely you do have one.
Did you discover that the '05 has a tranny cooler even if not equipped with original tow package? I'm trying to figure out if I need to add one to tow my TT. Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Did you discover that the '05 has a tranny cooler even if not equipped with original tow package? I'm trying to figure out if I need to add one to tow my TT. Thanks everyone!
My '05 does not have factory tow, but does have a trans cooler. If you have one it'll be mounted in front of the cooling radiator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts