Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched this forum to try to learn if "transmission temperature" is displayed in the DID of my 2016 Dodge Durango R/T somewhere. I could not find a helpful post to answer this question. After reading the car manual 15 times on page 334, it was still a mystery. I had this info available on my Chevy Suburban LTZ in the INFO menu and I thought sure the Durango must have it also. A letter to Chrysler Customer Assistance confirmed it was in there. It required a lot of aggravation and swearing until I FINALLY got it figured out.

To document it for the Forum, the actual technique for a 2015-2108 Dodge Durango is this:

First you must get to the DID root menu at the left using the LEFT ARROW on the steering wheel keypad. In order to navigate the DID, push and release the UP or DOWN arrow buttons until the desired Selectable Menu icon/title is highlighted in the DID...
The items in the root menu are:
- 3 red gauges icon (bubbles) for screen setup
- envelope icon for messages
- musical notes for radio info
- trip odometer
- gas pump icon for fuel range and mpg
- vehicle info
- speedometer

in this case for transmission temperature, you want the vehicle info menu - (the icon vaguely resembles the Durango 'front end')

the vehicle info or 'front end' icon allows you to scroll thru the following options using the RIGHT ARROW button:
- oil temp
- oil pressure
- oil life
- battery voltage
- tire pressure
- trans temp

And to my utter joy if I leave it on any one of those items like transmission temperature, for example, that will remain the display in the center of the speedometer instead of the useless message "Press OK to enter screen setup" that I had when the root menu was defaulted to the 3 red gauges icon.

Transmission temperature will be great for towing. For around town I will probably leave the left menus on the gas pump icon which displays fuel range and economy and occasionally switch to the 'front end' icon to check on tire pressures or oil life. But on the road when towing my car trailer or my boat, I will leave it on transmission temperature and watch to see it doesn't get too hot. I start getting uncomfortable when the trans fluid temp gets above 220. I have been told 235 is still acceptable at least for short bursts. But if I start seeing a lot of 220+ I will be looking into an extra transmission cooler with a Derale Fluid Control Thermostat so that the extra cooler will only kick in when the temp gets too hot.... and not just for ordinary driving. I hope others find this info useful... it took me a while to find it.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
I found navigating the menu's easy and intuitive. Easier than when I rent Chevy's and try to figure out their info menu's.
But that aside, I follow the same logic as you do.
Keep FE up most of the time, check tire pressures/oil status every so often, and keep trans temps up when towing.

·
Registered
2021 Billet R/T TNG
790 Posts
I played with the controls on the way home and figured that out the first night. I'm honestly surprised it eluded you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts