Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 2007 D durango and we had been having problems with it engaging 4wd drive on its own even after turnig it off it would try to turn the 4wd on but now (as of a week ago) the light next to the N on the switch is on not flashing just on we cant get it out of neutral with out it putting its self back in it any ideas i'm lost
edit: ok so i'm not to smart went it comes to cars and i'm trying to learn but as of right now the thing is sitting in the driveway it's not even mine it's my moms i'm trying to help we just got it paid off 2 months ago all i know is that the transfer case for some reason has went into "safety mode"? and has locked our transmission we have no way of getting it brain scan and no in our house is knowledgeable enough to figure out how to fix it

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
oh lord i'm gonna sound like an idiot but uh what do u mean codes like having the brain scanned?
Vehicles all have computers that run everything from your engine, air bags, navigation, HVAC, transmission and more.
When the computer has a sensor failure or senses a problem, a code is set in it's memory. This is to help the Auto Tech diagnose and repair the problem.
You can get a cheap OBDII scanner on Amazon and check for codes. You can then look it up on the web and see what the probable cause is and get it repaired. It helps the car owner understand the problem which in turns helps them deal with the repair place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vehicles all have computers that run everything from your engine, air bags, navigation, HVAC, transmission and more.
When the computer has a sensor failure or senses a problem, a code is set in it's memory. This is to help the Auto Tech diagnose and repair the problem.
You can get a cheap OBDII scanner on Amazon and check for codes. You can then look it up on the web and see what the probable cause is and get it repaired. It helps the car owner understand the problem which in turns helps them deal with the repair place.
i'll have to get one soon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we had it scanned last year when it first started to act up we had the brain scanned and nothing came back we thought it was a bad fuse or switch

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
BJ:
You may be looking at a new transfer case shift motor. You may be able to free things up, or reset them, by disconnecting the neg battery cable, depressing the brake pedal for 30 seconds, and then reconnect and see what you have.

The codes VW speaks of in this case, are powertrain codes. The less fancy code readers won't pull them. Have you tried the key dance to see if any codes come up?

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BJ:
You may be looking at a new transfer case shift motor. You may be able to free things up, or reset them, by disconnecting the neg battery cable, depressing the brake pedal for 30 seconds, and then reconnect and see what you have.

The codes VW speaks of in this case, are powertrain codes. The less fancy code readers won't pull them. Have you tried the key dance to see if any codes come up?

Don
what do you mean key dance?

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Start with the ignition key at Off. Cycle 3 times from Off to Run in 5 seconds. Your last move will have the key in the Run position. Look at the odometer display. If any codes are stored, you will see them there. If it goes directly to pdone, there are no stored P codes.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts