Dodge Durango Forum banner

Tranny swap on '03 Durango SXT 4x4 (545RFE) but won't move

8K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  deryl 
#1 ·
I just swapped out my transmission in my 2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4x4 4.7L (VIN N). Its a 5-454RFE transmission. However, my engine starts, I can shift through gears, hear my tranny make a tiny 'tink' when I switch from 2WD to 4WD, but I get zero motion in any gear. Its like its a dead stick.

I set the shift cable so the wide flange in the middle of the bracket fits into the really wide spline on the shifting shaft coming out of the side of the transmission, and all my sensors are connected. The Service Repair Manual calls for 12 qts. ATF+4 Transmission fluid totally dry. I made sure the torque converter was both filled (2.5 qts.) and engaged into the 3 internal collars. You could hear it 'click' when you spun it side to side (about 1/8" either direction) signifying it was seated. The flywheel bolts were put back on correctly in that the round one was put back first, and the remaining 3 slightly oblonged hole ones done next as per the SRM.

The transfer case slid onto the transmission output shaft with no problems at all. I marked a bolt position on the front and rear driveshaft segments to their respective bolt holes on their mounting flanges to ensure the drive line was put back in correctly, along with ensuring alignment of the slip joint splines.

All in all, this should have been a drop, replace, go. Now, someone mentioned (after I did the swap of course) that you HAVE to have your TCM (or PCM if its a 5-speed like mine meaning no separate TCM, the PCM does it all)
reflashed, or you'll have this exact issue. That is a dealer-only job.

Is this in fact true? If not, what else could be the problem?

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
As to the 03-03 matching, the tranny was VIN matched. Bought through autopartsfair.com

As to the codes, I cleared them, as per warranty requirements, prior to start up. After starting, while total fluid quarts were known to be less than full, she threw P0842 Transfer Fluid Pressure Sens/Switch A Circuit Low, and a P0700 Automatic Transmission Control System Malfunction.

I used the sensors that were on the transmission I bought. Should, and can, I use the sensors off the original transmission?

#7 ·
no codes after the fluid is topped up and you've gone thru the gears?

Did you drop the pan on the new trans and change the filters? maybe the main filter is incorrectly installed?

#9 ·
sucks air, thus no fluid pressure. Common problem when the filter isn't installed correctly. But should pop codes IIRC.

which transfer case do you have?

#11 ·
hmm.. the NV133 doesn't have a neutral range IIRC..

Park keeps the vehicle from rolling, correct?

...tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.