Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In June my 2000 Durango with 369 started to run rough after a rain storm. I figured some water had got to the ECM so I took it a local shop to get checked out. They said ECM had issues and that I also had a very worn throttle body. For a couple of months they could not find a throttle body and were hesitant to install a used one from a junk yard. A friend of mine said he had a almost new one and gave it to me. Then I also had to get a Throttle control motor and new PCV valve. Well all this ended up taking 4 months of being down. As soon as I picked it up I noticed that sometimes it will stay in first gear not wanting to shift to second. Other times I will be driving down the road and it will start to slow down but the engine will be revving high like the torque converter is slipping. It was low on tranny fluid when I got it back so I did fill it. It never had any issue with the tranny before. I won't take it back to place that originally worked on it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,387 Posts
It doesn't sound like the place you had it at was responsible for the trans problem. Sitting for 4 months and the symptoms you have now probably means it's time, or past time, to service the transmission. A fluid and filter change and band adjustment are probably in order.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
OMG:
Hopefully the trans was not TOO low on fluid for too long. How long have you owned it, and what engine is in it? 4.7 or 5.9?

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have owned it for a couple of years. 5.9 is a 360 old school. I am leaning towards the speed control sensor on the tranny. drives fine for about 20 miles then the speedo starts bouncing around or goes to 0 and soon the tranny problems start. I have never had any leaks in the driveway.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Ok on the 360 being old school. Agreed. Since your speedo is bouncing around 20, there is an ABS sensor on top of the rear axle that can cause that if it, or it's connection goes wonky. Have you serviced the rear end at all? If not, this would be a great time to do a drain/refill with some fresh name brand synthetic gear oil, and check out that sensor.
I'll bet there is all kinds of metallic bits and other crap floating around in there.

The 5.9 has the 46RE trans behind it, which requires band adjustments every 30kish miles. Dodge did not do a good job of making sure that 46RE owners knew this. If/when you do a drain/refill filter replacement on the trans, add the bands to that list.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the tranny serviced and a new rear limited slip put in about a year ago by my long time trusted mechanic who used to be in the local Dodge and BMW dealership. He was a master tech for both but recently retired. I am sure all that work is fine. The new shop left a lot to be desired. I picked up a tranny output speed sensor and will replace that myself and see if it fixes the troubles.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Keep us posted.

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts