Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can one still tow up to 7200 lb (AWD) or 7400 lb (RWD) with ANY V8 version of the 2018 Durango without the towing package by just adding the hitch receiver and harness?
I'm looking to purchase a new 2018 and wonder if I have to find one with the towing package or if the receiver/harness can just be added later.
Specifically, I noticed on the Citadel that when you add the V8 you get the heavy duty engine cooling. That's not called out on the RT that comes with a V8, but I suspect it might actually be standard on ANY 2018 V8. The remainder of the items included in the towing package seem like they could be added after the fact, except the rear load leveling suspension, which I'm not sure matters much if you already plan to use a WD hitch.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Not sure, you could back in '14.
Easy to check. Run the VIN on the Dodge/Ram site and get the equipment list and see if the D you're looking at has the HD cooling.
If yes, then just add Hitch/Harness and have the harness turned on and good to go.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My advice is to find one with the tow package. Reason being, I had a quote of $890 for installing an OEM receiver and wiring from a 5-star dealer. If you get one with the tow package, the other "bells n whistles" you get might offset that expense some. I did my own aftermarket install for $200, but have yet to determine the obstacles I may face in the future, in the event of a tranny failure. It's just not a comforting thought in the back of my mind about the entire potential warrantee issues I may face.
Also, later models require a separate direct-connection from the battery up front and a converter in the trailer harness to isolate the trailer wiring form the Drango's wiring, because the computer "sees" the additional current (or lack thereof in the event of a bulb failure), as a 'fault' and it will throw a code.
Routing said power supply wire from all the way from the B+ post under the hood, all the way to the rear bumper was nothing short of a nightmare for an overweight 65 year old... I had to jack the rear of my SXT up around 15" just to get both hands where I needed them --- not a job I'd recommend unless you happen to own a lift.
Just relating my experiences, 'your mileage may vary'.

But yes, if you go by the door sticker, it'll state the weights allowable, in the event you want to do what I did.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I bought the Hitch/Harness and hitch cover from a Mopar dealer @ 20% off list price installed myself and dealer charged me $65 to turn the harness on.
So about $350 all in.
Note a R/T would have additional cost to have hitch cover painted to match truck.

Should not pay more than $600-700 IMO to have the factory hitch installed and working.

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
Final answer is NO not legally, with out tow package max is 3500 lbs,

...................but with a R/T you can add the hitch and activate the prewired wiring harness and since it has all the prerequisites your vin will reflect that it has the tow package.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

...................but with a R/T you can add the hitch and activate the prewired wiring harness and since it has all the prerequisites your vin will reflect that it has the tow package.
Yes, I noticed there were some that had the pre-installed harness, like your R/T and that all you need to do is add the hitch receiver, and take it to a dealer for reprogramming.
My '17 SXT didn't come with the prewired harness, so I needed to install the whole 'shootin match', but no flashing of the software. The PCM has no idea it's there because of the direct wiring and the converter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That's good to know. Do you know if the Citadel has the prewired wiring harness? I'm heading out now to look at some Durangos, so maybe I'll be able to confirm at the dealer. I am probably going to end up with an RT (I really like the SRT-style hood), so it seems rather straight-forward from there to get to a towing vehicle. I plan to ask the dealer guys about the towing capacity without the towing package, but my experience is they know less then me a lot of the time (and I'm a noob).

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
My Citadel has the harness, it was tucked up under the rear bumper..so that was plug and play. Well after the dealer activated it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I went to the dealer today and ended up buying a 2018 RT! So excited! :p

Before I bought it I was able to confirm that the RT comes standard with the heavy duty engine cooling, wiring harness AND rear load leveling suspension! We looked at a build sheet (or whatever it's called) for the most basic RT with no options and it still had those features. I asked why anyone would need the towing package, because those items are pretty much what you spend your $995 on...then he said it would cost about $900 for the dealer to install the hitch receiver. So that's the game. Anyway, for those that might be interested, I can confirm those items on a 2018 RT. Probably true of the Citadel as well, but I can't confirm.

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
The average retail price of hitch is $250 , 7/4way plug is $45, rear bumper tow cover $150 + paint, activate the harness $75.00 so we are at $525.00..... install takes all of 60-90 minutes.

Check a local body shop to paint the cover. but $900 turn key is about $150-200 to high.

I have personally added the hitch to my 2012 R/T and my 2015 Jeep SRT.

A quick search on EBAY Hitch $200, bumper cover $56, 7/4 way plug $38.00 all OEM MOPAR free shipping.

New math parts: $294 activate harness $75.00 paint $100 ========= $460.00

$440 to install hitch that takes 1 hour really tops........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts