Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are considering vehicles for towing a travel trailer, roughly 21ft w/ dry weight <3,500, for long distance trips. Fuel efficiency is important to me so I prefer the DD SXT V6 AWD over the V8s. Also, the extra 1,200 lb towing capacity over comparable midsize SUVs (Ford Explorer, Chevy Traverse) is a nice extra buffer to keep it from working the engine too hard on inclines and such.
I have a few questions...
- Does the difference of Power & Torque between the SXT and R/T matter much in this towing case?
SXT: HP 290 hp @ 6,400 RPM // Torque 260 lb-ft @ 4,800 RPM
R/T: HP 360 hp @ 5,150 RPM // Torque 390 lb-ft @ 4,250 RPM
- Does the extra 7 in of wheelbase over comparable models make any difference?
- In the event that I can't find the make I want with a towing package included (not just hitch receiver, but also trailer break, engine cooler, etc.), how much can I expect to spend for a dealer to upgrade?
- At the risk of asking a biased audience (apologies), is the DD's towing capacity really higher than comparable models or is Dodge just not as conservative as other manufacturers?
- Has anyone towed with this model and can give me some advice from experience?

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R/T
196 Posts
You want factory installed tow package. Dealer retrofit will not include HD alternator, HD cooling package, leveling shocks.

A Dealer installed tow package will be limited to 3500 pounds. I know because I added the factory hitch and wiring harness to mine.
For us 3500 pounds works out fine.

If you can afford the HEMI R/T you will only sacrifice a few mpgs for a more capable hauler.

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
dealer installed is limited to 3500lb.

V6 with factory tow is 6200lb (at least it was in '17)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Our '17 SXT V6 has a dealer-installed hitch. We towed our 2000 Coleman Westlake (large and heavy) pop-up camper with it up to the Catoctin mountains (central Maryland) this past weekend for the first time. The trailer's gross vehicle weight rating is 3,250 lbs. The supplies and gear we store inside, plus two full propane tanks on the front, probably add close to 200 lbs., so we're just under the 3,500 lb. rating for the Durango. I deliberately did not fill the on-board water tank and water heater, which would have added 21 gallons of water.

The trailer has brakes, but I have not yet had a brake controller installed on the new D.

The rig handled very well, going the back way and not driving over about 55 mph. Uphill grades were smooth and did not seem to stress the D at all. Downhill grades were also smooth, only downshifting to 2nd or 1st a couple of times to avoid riding the D's brakes too hard. Even so, I will probably have a brake controller installed. We only tow this camper once or twice a year any more, and usually on a flat trip to a nearby campground in Gettysburg.

Reactions: HDB0B

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
You want factory installed tow package. Dealer retrofit will not include HD alternator, HD cooling package, leveling shocks.

A Dealer installed tow package will be limited to 3500 pounds. I know because I added the factory hitch and wiring harness to mine.
For us 3500 pounds works out fine.

If you can afford the HEMI R/T you will only sacrifice a few mpgs for a more capable hauler.
Are you sure the V6 comes with an upgraded alternator? I looked at the build sheet of my 2017 GT (no tow package) and compared it to a 2017 GT listed on carguru that did have factory tow package and the alternator is the same...180 amps.

BTW here is what the window sticker shows as well.
Font Paper product Circle Brand Paper

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,264 Posts
The HD alternator is probably only on the RT.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,264 Posts
Only HD brakes are on Citadel and RT in 2017. The Towing Pkg gives RT a heavy duty oil cooler and 220 amp alternator. No joy for the V6. The brochure doesn't list HD cooling though it's on the RT with Tow pkg for sure.

Reactions: Duh-rango

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
Only HD brakes are on Citadel and RT in 2017. The Towing Pkg gives RT a heavy duty oil cooler and 220 amp alternator. No joy for the V6. The brochure doesn't list HD cooling though it's on the RT with Tow pkg for sure.
Hmm so the reduced towing capacity (3500 instead of 6200) on a non-factory optioned V6 is mainly due to not have the HD cooling (and probably load leveling), and not for lack of HD brakes or high output alternator I reckon?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,264 Posts
I couldn't say for sure but cooling and brakes along with HP and torque are probably the limiting factors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm contemplating a SXT w V6 for towing a 17 ft Casita fiberglass "egg" trailer ( with its own brakes) weight dry < 2,600 pounds though with added gear probably looking at 3,000 to 3,200, plus ppl weighing 320 or so, + another 250 lbs inside the DD. Does this sound reasonable with a DD w factory towing ? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
I'm contemplating a SXT w V6 for towing a 17 ft Casita fiberglass "egg" trailer ( with its own brakes) weight dry < 2,600 pounds though with added gear probably looking at 3,000 to 3,200, plus ppl weighing 320 or so, + another 250 lbs inside the DD. Does this sound reasonable with a DD w factory towing ? Thanks in advance.
Per owners manual.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
176 Posts
Sounds like a great setup to me. All you'll need is a trailer brake controller for the Durango (no integrated controller until the 2021 refresh) and you're good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts