Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Duranga, V6. It did not come with a towing package but I had a tow hitch put on for up to 7,500 lbs. Towing capacity for my Durango is 5,000lbs. Hooked up to a trailer that is almost 6,000 lbs and it wouldn't do it only over the drag. Would changing the shocks over resolve this issue or do I need to do more? We have been towing a little camper but our daughter has the 6,000 lb one and we would like to buy a new one for me and give her my old, but it can't be done if I can't up the towing capacity.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
IN theory you could make that a tow monster, but legally you can't tow more then it's rated from the factory. If you get into an accident towing, and they find out and they will that you knowingly towed more then it's factory limit you will loose more then just your shirt. My advice would be to trade what you have in something with a trailer package.

·
Super Moderator
12,587 Posts
Your vehicle is only rated for 3500lb. no matter what hitch you put on it.

Attached is from your owner's manual.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Your vehicle is only rated for 3500lb. no matter what hitch you put on it.

Attached is from your owner's manual.
^^X2

And if you do go the route of trading it in, watch out for misinformed dealers. There are many that believe you can add a hitch after you buy without it from the factory, and tell you that it'll tow max capacity of 7400 or whatever, this is wrong. There are several threads around here on this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,587 Posts
where are you putting your VIN to get that info?

·
Super Moderator
12,587 Posts
I just tried a couple make/model and VIN "towing capacity" web sites with a random 2011 V6 VIN from a used car for sale..

All of them were wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2011 Durango, V6. It did not come with a towing package but I had a tow hitch put on for up to 7,500 lbs. Towing capacity for my Durango is 5,000lbs. Hooked up to a trailer that is almost 6,000 lbs and it wouldn't do it only over the drag. Would changing the shocks over resolve this issue or do I need to do more? We have been towing a little camper but our daughter has the 6,000 lb one and we would like to buy a new one for me and give her my old, but it can't be done if I can't up the towing capacity.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Didn't we just go though this?

I don't think you have enough under the hood for that weight unless its only a short distance.
My advisedwould be to find a 2nd Gen Hemi or even 4.7L V8 Durango or Chrysler Aspen or '14 and up V6 w/tow package if wanting to keep in a SUV.
Or move to a pickup.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Are you sure towing capacity for YOUR Durango is 5000 lbs? Or is it UP TO 5000 lbs for a 2011 V6?

The difference being that the tow package includes heavy duty cooling and brakes, not just a hitch.

People get suckered into this "max capacity" crap and end up buying vehicles that can't do what they need them to. My dad's buddy towed a 6X12 Uhaul 1800 miles on a cross country move in his V6 B series van and fried his transmission that way

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I realize by having a 7500lb hitch put on doesn't mean I can tow that. I also understand I don't have the factory "tow package" so I do not have the max for my vehicle. What I want to know is if I can add those other things to get it to a capacity of 6,000 lbs. I am going to buy a new Durango and want to give mine to my step daughter and she needs it to tow 6,000. I use it for my trailer but mine is only 3500 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
12,587 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,587 Posts
I realize by having a 7500lb hitch put on doesn't mean I can tow that. I also understand I don't have the factory "tow package" so I do not have the max for my vehicle. What I want to know is if I can add those other things to get it to a capacity of 6,000 lbs. I am going to buy a new Durango and want to give mine to my step daughter and she needs it to tow 6,000. I use it for my trailer but mine is only 3500 lbs.
Basically, not really.

You can upgrade the brakes.

I don't know if you can retrofit the load-leveling shocks, but with that much on the ball you probably need them. It is possible that a WDH will be enough to avoid having to change the shocks.

You can't upgrade the cooling. May or may not be important.

But at the end of the day, the manufacturer's rating is still 3500lb :(

·
Registered
490 Posts
You can add everything that one with the tow package comes with which can be labor intensive or expensive. That may be enough for you; Chrysler likes to de-rate the first year of certain things (Rams with coil suspensions/8 speed transmissions) and then change them the next year without actually changing anything about the vehicle.

It won't change the manufacturer certification though, and there are people who will tell you that will land you in legal trouble-I am not one of those people.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
So reading your post again it sounds like you tried towing it already.
What happened?
Did it overheat?
Did you have enough power to maintain hwy speeds?
Are you towing in mostly flat areas or in hills/mountains?

You could add the HD radiator to cure cooling issues, but from when I test drove the V6/5-speed combo, they did not have much extra power IMO.
The 8-speed makes a big difference in the V6 capability.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been towing a 3500 lb trailer no issues. We lent my Durango to our daughter and she attempted to tow the 6,000 lb trailer and it pulled it fine but could not go far because the backend ....the trailer tongue etc was hitting the ground over bumps so they did not make the trip with it. We live in the Kansas City area so we don't have "mountians"but it sure feels like it when I am riding my bicycle...lol. I know when I was in CA and towing across the desert we always changed out the radiators.... towing in 125 degrees is interesting. If I can get my current durango to tow the 6,000 lbs I will give it to our daughter and I will buy a newer one. I am going to keep mine though if I cant get it to 6,000 but then I will need to help her with another tow vehicle. I know...spoiled, she is a single parent and we still want her to be able to enjoy life.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Ahhh....tongue weight too high.
So first I'd find a way to measure what it is and go from there.
Sounds like a WDH along with moving some weight off the front of the trailer might do the trick.
You want to keep tongue weight to around 600-700. 10% of total weight towed should be fine...but might have to go higher depending upon your trailer and how susceptible it is to sway.
I believe 750 is max allowed.

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
So reading your post again it sounds like you tried towing it already.
What happened?
Did it overheat?
Did you have enough power to maintain hwy speeds?
Are you towing in mostly flat areas or in hills/mountains?

You could add the HD radiator to cure cooling issues, but from when I test drove the V6/5-speed combo, they did not have much extra power IMO.
The 8-speed makes a big difference in the V6 capability.
Heavy duty cooling is just not a larger radiator. Its radiator, higher speed fans with much more cfm as well as fan controller.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts