Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how Dodge determined the towing limit of 7200 lbs for the D? Was it the axle ratio, tire load limits, axle weight limits, or what? The short wheelbase Ford Expedition, for example, can be equipped to tow 9000 lbs with a smaller V8 that produces less HP and torque. Seems like the D has more than enough power and torque to tow more, so I wonder what is the limiting factor.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Does anyone know how Dodge determined the towing limit of 7200 lbs for the D? Was it the axle ratio, tire load limits, axle weight limits, or what? The short wheelbase Ford Expedition, for example, can be equipped to tow 9000 lbs with a smaller V8 that produces less HP and torque. Seems like the D has more than enough power and torque to tow more, so I wonder what is the limiting factor.
The Expedition is a full frame SUV whereas the Durango is a unibody which is not as "strong" as a full frame vehicle.

I'm not saying that is the difference, it's just my Wild ass guess.

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
That, type of frame/body mount, does come into play. So does tire/wheel design, axle assemblies, and a myriad of other things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts