Dodge Durango Forum banner

tow 3900 lbs + u-haul car trailer with 2019 RT (Hemi) ?

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  cambo 
#1 ·
Would you tow this amount? It is a RT with the Hemi. I added the factory hitch and wiring from Chrysler. The RT has the tran's cooler. temps out would be in teens.. maybe up to 25 degrees. I did haul a corvette once on a u-haul trailer no problems.. but this ( small skid steer) is about same weight ..3400 lbs + 5 or 600 lbs more with bucket.

#9 ·
you should be fine total weight-wise. I have the Tow N Go and regularly do 2000 lb steel trailer with 3300 lb track car up and down the Catskill mountains in NY for hours with no problem at all. The Hemi mated to the 8 speed ZF is sublime under tow. Yes, I have the much bigger SRT rotors and pads which help alot with braking a heavy load but to be honest, the ZF always intelligently downshifts at all the right times when in the "Tow" setting. You should be fine if you have a brake controller and have positioned the weight correctly. Mind your toungue weight limits!!

#11 ·
What size U-Haul trailer? I only come up with 6x12 on the website. I have an ‘88 Mustang GT that I want to tow to a car show This summer, but 6x12 seems too small.

UPDATE: Never-mind. I found the auto transport trailers on the site.

Reactions: Urbish
#15 ·
5,300 lbs dry with trailer, loaded with gas and all types of other items for boating easily 6K. My 2014 and this 2021 haul it no problem NY to Vermont
@cambo your set-up looks like it does not require a weight distribution hitch. Can you explain why that is? The reason I ask is the car transport from U-Haul have a similar straight or composite tongue. From some quick research it appears that a weight distribution hitch is available for A-frame tongues only.

Reactions: wvhemis
#13 ·
FYI I have a 2017 Citadel with the 5.7 Hemi, I pull a 3100 lb hot rod with a 2200 lb trailer without a problem, but I do use a equalizer hitch for stability. I put my Durango in Sport mode then when I hit the highway I shut it off, when I get off the highway I go back to sport mode as it also downshifts when you start breaking this also helps when coming off an exit. Good Luck!

#16 ·
No weight distribution hitch is used when I tow. Most of the driving is local within 10 to fifty miles to whatever boat ramp I decide to launch at. I have been towing boats seasonally for the last 20 years always with one long trip stopping is always my biggest concern leave space to stop. The truck feels very stable only once on my 2014 R/T did I get a weird sway feeling as the road dipped and the front felt light at highway speeds of 65 to 70. They just tow very stable when I pack for long trips I do load the back of the boat with items rear of the axle and put light items in the back of the durango, that's my weight distribution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.