Dodge Durango Forum banner

Touch screen delamination?

63K views 123 replies 60 participants last post by  LIDurangoRT 
#1 ·
I've got a 2018 Durango R/T with the 8.4" touch screen. Noticed a few weeks back that the screen has started to delaminate in the upper left corner and is slowly working it's way across the top of the screen. Anyone else getting this? Looks like a bubble under the screen surface. I did a search of this forum and didn't find anything. The Charger and Ram forums have a lot to say on it, but sure seems like a defect with the radio and not necessarily the vehicle it's installed in. And if you're out of warranty (and I am-54k miles) you're screwed to the tune of $1500 or more, with no guarantee that it'll last any longer than the original did.

#30 ·
Hello I got a 2018 Dodge Durango with 49k miles. I notice the screen delamination when I first bought the car used and it had 35k now at 49k I can barely use the touch screen and it’s clicks on everything. I contacted the dealer ship no help I got quested for 1695.00 to fix it and I contacted dodge cares we escalated the ticket and they still were not able to help me with good will assistance. It’s crazy that a 40k+ car radio takes a shit at 35k miles makes me think what else will go wrong with this car after awhile. Probably won’t buy dodge again.

Attachments

#37 ·
We're sorry to hear about the obstacles you've encountered while trying to get your concerns properly addressed. We can certainly look into your previous cases to see if there's anything we can do to assist. Please follow up via private messages with any case numbers and/or your VIN so we can get started.

Thanks in advance,

Courtney
Dodge Cares

#41 ·
2018 SRT with ~22k and the top of the screen is delaminating. My wife's vehicle and we bought it used in June. I haven't been driving it much so didn't know about it otherwise woulda brought it up to the selling dealership from the get go. Just tried called Dodge Cares and was told it was out of warranty, they would not assist with costs. 🤦‍♂️ Going to call a couple of the local dealerships servoce departments to see what they say.

#42 · (Edited)
Well local dealer punted, service manager never heard of any issues, suggested I start a case with Dodge Cares, was quoted $575 parts alone from the parts department for a new unit with returning the old core (edit: which surely must be for the 7" screen gauging from the pricing on infotainment.com for a replacement 8.4"--$1,500).

#43 · (Edited)
I'm absolutely heart broken. My 2018 Durango touch screen started glitching out and looked as if I was pushing different buttons. I later found out it was bc it was delaminating. It even tried calling 911 whenever I went into the apps. I went to my dealership today for an appointment and I was told it was out of warranty. I have 28,000 miles on it and it has been past 36 months. I tried calling the 1800-993-1997. The rep then told me they could not help me bc I was the second owner, I bought it at Carmax. I have driven this car only 18,000 miles and I am now screwed over and have to pay to replace it. I can not believe they will not stand behind a known defect in the durango. I wish I knew what to do and how to fix this. @DodgeCares I am so disappointed.

#46 ·
We only hear about it with the '18s so I think it only applies to that year.

Reactions: Tony H and cwilly8
#47 ·
Another one here on 2018 Durango. Called the dealer and they cant tell me anything until I come in to have it looked at. Called Customer Cares also and was told Im out of warranty (27K on my car pft) so it would be out of pocket unless dealer says otherwise. "Upgraded" from a 2014 to a 2018 model in '18. Will be sad to leave Durango on the next upgrade but this will def be a deal breaker. :/

#49 ·
Please read through this thread before asking this question. You will see a variety of results from Dodge dealers, most of them negative because the vehicle bumper to bumper warranty is expired. Dodge has refused even partial help with most people. And this seems to be a model year-only issue. There is no recall and apparently no TSBs.

#50 ·
We're sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing these concerns with possible delamination/bubbling. If anyone is currently working with their dealers and would like additional support, please feel free to send our team a private message with your VIN and any additional details/documentation that will help me get a better understanding of your situation.

Thanks in advance,

Courtney
Dodge Cares

Reactions: Tiffmck83
#51 ·
I've done this and all you guys say is save your receipts after paying full price for replacement. This is a scam, if a radio can't last 3 years it needs to be updated and replaced with a better part, I'm working with a class action lawyer currently. I will let the forum know if and when we take action. @DodgeCares #dodgereallydoesntcare

#52 ·
This is not a model specific problem, it is a radio specific problem. Any Dodge model using the 4C radio can have this happen. I have a 17 Challenger RT and 18 Durango RT and both are currently experiencing this problem. Have appointments with the dealer for each. Unfortunately for me both are out of warranty.

#57 ·
This screen delamination issue is a serious manufacture defect. It is not acceptable for Dodge to continue selling products that may cause serious, potentially fatal, physical harm. When the screen goes out of control and changes settings and applications, it becomes a very serious road hazard as well as health hazard.
I cannot keep the AC on in Texas heat, because it keeps switching to heat and turning the temperature all the way up then it will turn the seat warmers on and off repeatedly. I have a four-year-old, and it is completely unsafe for her to ride in a car with the heater on in 100° weather. My only option is to turn it off, and then she suffers in the Texas heat. If I leave it on, it is an incredibly unsafe distraction trying to continually correct all of the changes it is making while driving.
It’s impossible.
It’s unsafe.
It’s unacceptable.

I was less than a month outside of warranty when my screen delaminated. I just contacted Dodge cares, and I was told there is nothing they will do to help financially or otherwise.

I am a certified paralegal, and I know a CLASS ACTION when I see one. I will be contacting an attorney within the week to discuss a lawsuit. If anyone is interested in joining or helping to hold them accountable, feel free to message me with details about your experiences.

I can deal with all manner of things, but when it comes to endangering child’s health or the lives of others, it crosses the line from inconvenience to known negligence.
P.S. I called @DodgeCares and they most assuredly do not!

#88 ·
This screen delamination issue is a serious manufacture defect. It is not acceptable for Dodge to continue selling products that may cause serious, potentially fatal, physical harm. When the screen goes out of control and changes settings and applications, it becomes a very serious road hazard as well as health hazard.
I cannot keep the AC on in Texas heat, because it keeps switching to heat and turning the temperature all the way up then it will turn the seat warmers on and off repeatedly. I have a four-year-old, and it is completely unsafe for her to ride in a car with the heater on in 100° weather. My only option is to turn it off, and then she suffers in the Texas heat. If I leave it on, it is an incredibly unsafe distraction trying to continually correct all of the changes it is making while driving.
It’s impossible.
It’s unsafe.
It’s unacceptable.

I was less than a month outside of warranty when my screen delaminated. I just contacted Dodge cares, and I was told there is nothing they will do to help financially or otherwise.

I am a certified paralegal, and I know a CLASS ACTION when I see one. I will be contacting an attorney within the week to discuss a lawsuit. If anyone is interested in joining or helping to hold them accountable, feel free to message me with details about your experiences.

I can deal with all manner of things, but when it comes to endangering child’s health or the lives of others, it crosses the line from inconvenience to known negligence.
P.S. I called @DodgeCares and they most assuredly do not!
Check out Chrysler Class Action Lawsuit Says UConnect Infotainment System Is Defective. Some of the comments talk about delamination but it appears the suit is related to different problems. Maybe they are related. I inquired today to one of the lawyers listed in the filing papers linked from the article asking about the status of the suit.

#60 ·
Sheesh

Reactions: badominy86
#61 ·
They just show how money hungry they are, the vehicle has had no major changes and the msrp has increased every two years. From $38k to 2018 mine was $42k and now they are over $50k, literally new headlights, bumper, spoiler, wheels and a slightly updated interior. But essentially the same exact vehicle.

#63 · (Edited)
I just noticed this today on our 2018 citadel after cleaning the inside. It’s starting in the upper left corner just as many posters said. I do have extended warranty through November of 2023 so I should be good on bumper to bumper. The dealer I bought from is 2 hours away though so I will have to go with a dealer around here. Will see how they treat me. It has been having an intermittent freezing issue the last several months. But that is VERY sporadic. Otherwise it works fine. Here’s a pic
Automotive lighting Automotive design Gadget Automotive exterior Vehicle door

#65 ·
Damn… What a bunch of cry babies some of you are. You asked and they said no. Just move on and fix it yourself or don’t. Don’t buy another Dodge if that makes you happy, but stop whinnying. Everyone thinks they’ve been done wrong when something breaks. Just suck it up and fix it. It only cost $130 or a little more to get a replacement screen and it only takes 30 minutes or so to replace it. There’s lots of videos on YouTube and it doesn’t take a genus to do it. You probably spend as much eating out every month so don’t say you can’t afford it. I have a 2018 Ram in addition to the Durango and it has the same issue. I realize that my warranty has expired… so I know the deal, it’s on me now. Not gonna cry or worry myself. Just gonna get a new screen and fix it. You all can choose to scream and yell at Dodge if you want, but your screen will still be broke. Mine on the other hand will work just fine and my sanity will be intact.😊

#66 ·
Funny you are calling others cry babies. When you spend 50k or more on a car you expect more from the company you bought it from. Not sure where you are seeing a replacement screen for $130.00 but instead of criticizing others for being upset over something that people should be upset about you should instead post where you saw a screen replacement for that price. I just came back from a local dealership that quoted me $2,200. If companies are never held responsible for the quality of stuff they put out then they will continue to make junk.

#67 ·
Thanks for joining just to complain about a post.

#72 ·
My ‘18 R/T is also exhibiting delamination from left to right roughly through the top of the radio presets. Being a 2nd owner (purchase from a CDJR dealer) I’m not optimistic for a covered repair given the previous replies despite only having 22k miles on the vehicle. :(